Jump to content

Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends
Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Question on MPEG4 Installation

  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nolzman



  • Registered
  • 150 posts
Joined: Aug 29, 2003

Posted 14 December 2005 - 11:47 AM

I have a question for the one’s in the know. I am located in Atlanta and my current equipment is as follows.

- Two HR10-250 HD Tivos attached to two HD TV’s.
- One extra inactive line runs to the spare bedroom. Would like to keep the option of activating this line.
- 5 X 8 Multi-switch (Four lines from current dish and one OTA line)
- Off Air antenna system (and I do mean system) professionally installed.

My off air reception is very spotty and greatly effected by seasonal and weather changes, therefore I am anxious to get the HD locals off the satellite.

I definitely will the get HD DVR when available, as I cannot live without that functionality. Since we got Tivo, we rarely watch live TV. So, what financially makes the most sense?

Can I get the DTV deal now and have an extra HD receiver and still switch out my HD Tivos next year?

Do they make a multi-switch for the new dish? I know that the OTA cannot go through it, but that is OK since I can run the antenna directly to main TV. The other TV does not really need access to the OTA.

Can I get the new multi-switch included in the switch over?

So…if you were I, with my current set up and requirements, would you switch now or wait until the HD DVR is available and WHY?

Could I switch now, get the H20 and when the HD DVR is available swap the HD Tivo and sell the H20???

Thanks for the input.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   linger



  • Registered
  • 204 posts
  • LocationVA
Joined: Nov 04, 2005

Posted 14 December 2005 - 11:57 AM

What I am about to say is not 100% official...a friend of mine was in your same situation, but with 1 HD Tivo. He called D* and asked them about the swtich out and this is what he got:

They said that they will switch out his multiswitch. If they swtich him out now, he gets the H20 and everything is final. If he wants the new HD DVR he will have to pay for it when it is available. If he waits until it comes out, they will switch him out with the new HD DVR for free. They would not say anything about when the hew HD DVR would be out.

There are posts on this site that say the new HD DVR is supposed to be out first quarter of 06.

Remember, this is not 100% official, but it is what I have been told by a friend.

#3 OFFLINE   JLucPicard


    Hall Of Fame

  • Registered
  • 3,985 posts
Joined: Apr 26, 2004

Posted 14 December 2005 - 08:24 PM

My gut instinct even before reading linger's post was that you probably can go to the well too many times in all this. Meaning, if you want a deal when swapping out for the HD DVR(s), I would wait until then.

I am in pretty much the same position - 2 HR10-250's, addicted to Tivo. I do not have a stand-alone HD receiver. I plan on waiting until the HD DVR is available (maybe even has the kinks worked out) before I swap out. I do not want to have a bunch of special deals already on my account when it comes time to do that.

That is just my personal preference and gut feeling. As with linger's reply, this is by no means based on anything official.

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross


    Hall Of Fame

  • Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson
Joined: Jul 19, 2005

Posted 14 December 2005 - 09:55 PM

These last 2 posts are about the most well balanced logical posts I have read to date about the MPEG4 upgrades....and I completely agree. If you have D* HD service already with one of the current HDDirecTivo's, its probably best to wait.

#5 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

    Lifetime Achiever

  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,331 posts
Joined: Nov 15, 2005

Posted 15 December 2005 - 12:56 AM

Another thing to consider--waiting for the home media center instead of the new DVR. Longer wait, but then rumor has it that there will be a more complex "trade-in" program--1 free HMC plus 1 client for 2 tivos for example. (This is only an example of what might happen not something that I know will happen.)


#6 OFFLINE   tryangle


    New Member

  • Registered
  • 1 posts
Joined: Feb 01, 2006

Posted 01 February 2006 - 07:27 PM

I have dtv H20 when i hook in the hdmi to the tv the picture is green I already swiched out the h20 and hdmi cable and all other settings the tv comes in great anybody know what's going on with this

Protected By... spam firewall...And...