Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can D* and E* use the same roof mount?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   johnzim63

johnzim63

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 06:35 PM

I'm thinking of switching to E* to get their silly-sweet deal for new subscribers. My question: Could the installer use the existing D* roof mount for the new dish antenna? In other words, I don't want any more holes than necessary in my roof. Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   KingLoop

KingLoop

Custom User Title

• Gold Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 06:40 PM

In a word yes. The dual LNB D* 18 in. dish and the E* 20 in. Dish 500 use the same size pole and footplate.
KL

#3 OFFLINE   johnzim63

johnzim63

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 10:16 AM

In a word yes. The dual LNB D* 18 in. dish and the E* 20 in. Dish 500 use the same size pole and footplate.

Thanks for the info, Kingloop! I should have mentioned that I have the newer triple LNB antenna. Would an E* antenna still fit? Thanks again. :)

#4 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,564 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 01:52 PM

I don't see why not. My old 18" DTV dish uses the same dia pole as the Phase III dish.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#5 OFFLINE   KingLoop

KingLoop

Custom User Title

• Gold Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 03:53 PM

Thanks for the info, Kingloop! I should have mentioned that I have the newer triple LNB antenna. Would an E* antenna still fit? Thanks again. :)

For a Dish 500, yes. For a SuperDish, no. Do you know if you need a SuperDish?
KL

#6 OFFLINE   sat101

sat101

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 04:51 PM

Amherst NY uses Dish 500 and 2nd 18" dish for PBS and UPN. The one mount is fine but they will have to mount 2nd dish .

#7 OFFLINE   johnzim63

johnzim63

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 07:55 PM

Amherst NY uses Dish 500 and 2nd 18" dish for PBS and UPN. The one mount is fine but they will have to mount 2nd dish .

Ouch! Thanks for that bit of critical info. I'm pretty sure I don't want a second UAA (ugly-ass antenna) on my roof. Kinda blows the whole idea for me. :( Looks like I'm stuck with Directv for now.

#8 OFFLINE   sat101

sat101

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:57 AM

If you don't want those two channels then you don't need the 2nd dish. Are you happy with DTV ? Just remember sweet deals change after a few months then you will be stuck with Dish for a year, if you like DTV then stick with them and enjoy.

#9 OFFLINE   johnzim63

johnzim63

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 11:05 AM

If you don't want those two channels then you don't need the 2nd dish. Are you happy with DTV ? Just remember sweet deals change after a few months then you will be stuck with Dish for a year, if you like DTV then stick with them and enjoy.

Those 2 channels would be nice, but not deal-breakers. But to speak to the broader issue: How can a tv-subscriber--at the end of a contract--ignore the deals that are out there? Both Adelphia cable and DishNetwork are offering me very attractive incentives. Sure I like Directv; but do I like it enough to ignore an opportunity to get all new hardware, just for switching? (Not to mention the huge 3-month discount on programming.) I think NOT. If D* would even attempt to match their competitors, I would listen very closely. But NOT. I've solicited them to make me an offer to stay, and they lamely point to their $100-DVR and $200-HD/DVR rebates, which of course involve a 2-year committment. Uh, not even close, Fellas. :rolleyes:

#10 OFFLINE   sat101

sat101

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 10:51 AM

Make sure you check what channels dish offers. Do you watch YES Network or The NFL Ticket, both only on DTV. How long have you been DTV subcriber ?

#11 OFFLINE   johnzim63

johnzim63

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 01:17 PM

Make sure you check what channels dish offers. Do you watch YES Network or The NFL Ticket, both only on DTV. How long have you been DTV subcriber ?

Been with DTV for 12 months. I don't have YES or NFL Ticket. But you guys are right about E*. I did some more hardware research, and it seems that their equipment is as buggy as ever. A few years ago I switched from Adelphia, and the Dish equipment was very frustrating to use. Nearly constant glitches and crashes. So now I'm eating crow. <*Big Sigh*> Staying with DTV. But at least when I called them to whine about my contract ending, they threw in 6 months of nearly-free HBO. Yippee.

spam firewall