Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Official Direct Wish List for 2006.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
95 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jeff McClellan

Jeff McClellan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 07:47 AM

Please say what you would hope for from Direct TV during the upcoming year. What changes, additions or just general comments you would like to see happen in what looks to be a exciting year.:)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 16 December 2005 - 08:05 AM

The addition of Nick GAS, BET on Jazz, and the MTV and VH1 Digital Nets. Some more XM stations like The Torch, Unsigned, and Fungus.

And (Wishful thinking) the addition of Superstations, it's one of the major things that cause many people in smaller markets without WB and/or UPN affiliates to chose E* over D*, heck, I would have chosen E* if it wasn't for the fact that they didn't carry YES.

And more wishful thinking, that the FTC and FCC forces Comcast to make CSN Philly available to both D* and E* if they want the aquisition of Adelphia approved.

#3 OFFLINE   Milk_tec

Milk_tec

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 08:18 AM

Just two.

1) Dont charge me another hundee on-top on the $260 to get sunday ticket HD

2) MTVHD....I need to watch the honeys shaking their monkeys in 1080i...

#4 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 08:37 AM

StarzHD, TNT-HD, and (when available) National Geographic HD and the HGTV/Food/DIY HD channel.

A bigger wish is for networks to develop more HD programming. It would be wonderful to see nearly all sporting events in HD by 2007.

#5 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,066 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:15 AM

- Add Comcast Sportsnet Chicago HD channel to the Chicago DMA LIL package and WGN-DT. Since D* prides itself in being the sports leader these channels need to get added ASAP.

- Add Cinemax-HD since they've been showing some movies before HBO gets them

- Fox-HD channel that's due in 2006

- Bring back the 30 second slip on the R15 and the HR20-250

- Don't release hardware that has a bunch of software bugs in it. That's the major reason that I left E*.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#6 OFFLINE   redskin9

redskin9

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:15 AM

1) Better informed CS reps on products/upgrades available.
2) One stop problem resolution. Less transferring dept to dept (see #1).
3) Superstations in HD.
4) Show all Sunday Ticket games in HD included in the base package price.

#7 OFFLINE   redskin9

redskin9

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:29 AM

- Add Comcast Sportsnet Chicago HD channel to the Chicago DMA LIL package and WGN-DT. Since D* prides itself in being the sports leader these channels need to get added ASAP.

- Add Cinemax-HD since they've been showing some movies before HBO gets them

- Fox-HD channel that's due in 2006

- Bring back the 30 second slip on the R15 and the HR20-250

- Don't release hardware that has a bunch of software bugs in it. That's the major reason that I left E*.

On the R10 you can change the skip to end into a 30 sec skip as follows:

During playback of a recording press the "select" "play" "select" "3" "0" "select" sequence of buttons and it will change the skip to end into a 30 second skip function. I assume it will work on the R15 as well.

#8 OFFLINE   Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:42 AM

MORE HD .... instead of adding all these International channels

#9 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:48 AM

...and (when available) National Geographic HD

It's most likely a given that we'll get National Geographic HD since it's distributed by Fox.

#10 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,066 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:50 AM

On the R10 you can change the skip to end into a 30 sec skip as follows:

During playback of a recording press the "select" "play" "select" "3" "0" "select" sequence of buttons and it will change the skip to end into a 30 second skip function. I assume it will work on the R15 as well.

Yep, know that, use it on my SD-DVR40 and HR10-250, that's why I specified the R15 and HR20-250 (the new MPEG4 DVR). The R15 isn't based on Tivo software and that 'hack' isn't valid.

#11 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 10:52 AM

I wish that DirecTV would give their technical support people more training. I know, because of what they pay those people, we can't expect engineers but we should be able to get ahold of people that have a solid understanding of satellite TV (which, many support people apparently don't based on some of my recent contacts with them).
Bill R

#12 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 16 December 2005 - 11:59 AM

NO MORE NEW CHANNELS...until you fix the PQ issues with channels we already have. Please everyone this should be number one...

#13 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 01:01 PM

This one really may not be up to D*. Comcast uses a legal loophole in some instances to keep other providers from carrying some of it's channels.

#14 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,066 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 01:16 PM

This one really may not be up to D*. Comcast uses a legal loophole in some instances to keep other providers from carrying some of it's channels.

Don't think so in this case since D* and E* both carry the SD version of the channel. Also, while the channel is called Comcast it's not owned by Comcast, like in Philly, but by the owners of the Cubs, Sox, Bulls, Blackhawks.

#15 OFFLINE   leww37334

leww37334

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 03:28 PM

Just provide the HD programming they have promised for years. (start with TNT HD).

#16 OFFLINE   kc1ih

kc1ih

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 03:56 PM

Make it so you get ALL the XM channels without having to subscribe to plus.

#17 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 05:04 PM

Which is why the FCC should prevent a cable provider from also being a broadcaster.

#18 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 05:06 PM

[quote name='Milk_tec']1) Dont charge me another hundee on-top on the $260 to get sunday ticket HD
I 2nd that one. I don't need Superfan, just HD.

#19 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 05:07 PM

I'd also like to have the ability to search/schedule/record shows on XM just as any other show. Most notably "Stand up-Sit down" on XM 150.

Even go so far a creating a wish list for XM150 with the artist you want to record.

#20 OFFLINE   n8dagr8

n8dagr8

Resident Rounder

• Gold Members
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 06:25 PM

NO MORE NEW CHANNELS...until you fix the PQ issues with channels we already have. Please everyone this should be number one...

then more HD.
N8

"The heart has reasons that reason does not know. It is the heart that feels God and not reason." ~Pascal

"It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken from you." ~Dick Cheney

Protected By... spam firewall...And...