Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

CBS HD on 61.5 now being down converted!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
88 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,531 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 December 2005 - 03:19 PM

Maybe the reason your station goes to 1080i for the news is because they are using the equipment they had before fox started doing hd. Is it actual HD or just upconverted? My non hd upn sends out 1080i and is owned by fox.

As JohnH posted, I am talking about WRAL 5 for CBS and WRAZ 50 for FOX in Raleigh. WRAL was the first to go HD in the country way back when... and several years ago they built a new HD newsroom. They also have mobile HD cameras they take out for location shoots for news segments.

The 11:00 news is on WRAL, they have a 10:00 "early" news on WRAZ... and though they sometimes rotate the news persons around, its basically the same people and exactly the same newsroom.

Though I don't like hockey... they sometimes broadcast 1080i HD Hurricanes games on WRAZ during the hockey season (when hockey exists of course). And last year they doubled-up on the NCAA broadcasts so they could show an HD game on WRAL and another HD game on WRAZ when two of the local teams were playing games at roughly the same time.

So they take advantage of their 1080i equipment whenever they aren't broadcasting the FOX-forced 720p programming... which is kind of nice.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 03:51 PM

For informational purposes: ESPN2HD is now listed as Mpeg2 in the tables. The 5 new VOOMs are still listed as Mpeg4 regardless of what format they actually are.

#83 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 04:53 PM

For informational purposes: ESPN2HD is now listed as Mpeg2 in the tables. The 5 new VOOMs are still listed as Mpeg4 regardless of what format they actually are.

Thanks for staying on top of the numbers.

JL

#84 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,531 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 December 2005 - 05:41 PM

I gather from reading threads in the past that what the tables say may or may not reflect reality until activated for customers, right? So it is still possible that the extra Vooms will be turned on in MPEG2... but also possible that ESPN2HD could become MPEG4.

It just doesn't seem logical to me, that they wouldn't do this batch in MPEG2... and use the locals in HD rollout to "force" folks to buy the MPEG4 receivers while also giving them to all new installs after XX/XX cutoff date.

Otherwise it seems like they would be inundated with calls to upgrade to the new receivers and they can't meet that demand OR they would be met with disinterest from those of us angry enough to balk at the forced upgrade at this time.

Seems more likely that the January batch will be MPEG2... except for locals in HD... and then probably all new HD they add from February onward may be in MPEG4 to force upgrades then as well.

Otherwise they'll be in a pickle, charging folks for channels they can't get unless they pay for a receiver they maybe can't get either!

#85 OFFLINE   guruka

guruka

Troublemaker/Supporter

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:37 AM

Has ayone noticed that the audio sync is off ever since they switched CBS-HD to Rainbow 1 and started transcoding it to 720? The video lags the audio by several milliseconds. Very annoying! I emailed E* FWIW.

.....G

Enlightenment means never having another bad thing happen to you.

Hopper + Joey
Sats: 110/119/129
Samsung PN64F5500 Plasma

#86 OFFLINE   bmanner

bmanner

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 02:46 PM

Has ayone noticed that the audio sync is off ever since they switched CBS-HD to Rainbow 1 and started transcoding it to 720? The video lags the audio by several milliseconds. Very annoying! I emailed E* FWIW.

.....G

Yes, I have noticed it too. The audio will get out of sync but fluctuates back in and out. However the initial pixlization and video problems that were occurring when they first switched CBS-HD to TP17, now seem to be much better.

#87 OFFLINE   voripteth

voripteth

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 04:06 PM

Waitaminute... Voom has historically had a problem with audio sync. Now that CBS-HD is being transmited on the Voom satellite we're seeing audio sync problems. Conicidence? :confused:

Or is this a flaw with the satellite itself? :eek2:

Hope Dish got a good price on damaged goods. :nono2:

#88 OFFLINE   hazydave

hazydave

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 04:22 AM

Then there is something wrong with your set. I can tell a big difference between a 1920x1080 signal and a 1280x720p signal. 2 of my locals broadcaste in 720p and the other 3 are 1080i. The 720p signals are always a bit more grainy on my tv.
Ken

Quite a few of the HD sets, including nearly all smaller ones, have a native resolution of 1280x720 or thereabouts. It's pretty common for manufacturers to publish this now, it wasn't until recently. There certainly are full 1920x1080 sets, they tend to be large rear projection or very, very expensive flat panels.

So they can technically get away with it.

The 720p fans are confused, anyway... those who favor 720p [a] probably have 720p-only sets, and [b] they think the progressive is less flickery and offers some better motion characteristics. Well, the last one is true -- IF you have real 720p material.

However, when you downconvert from 1080i to 720p, you don't magically get 60 frames per second, you still have 60 fields per second. So what you get is 720/60i. You can convert fields to frames, but you're going to wind up with what's effectively 720/30p. Which, of course, Dish probably loves, it's going to be much smaller than 1440 or 1280 x 1080 interlaced. I don't believe they'd bother interpolating twice per frame to deliver what's basically a fake 60p anyway... plus, that offers little savings in bandwidth over real 1080i.

Most of the HD world has settled on 1080i for now. My new video camera does 1080i (albeit, at 1440 x 1080), and that's the big direction the industry's supporting, with cameras, tools, etc. Except JVC and ABC, I guess, who are the remaining standard bearers of 720p... and you need serious pro gear to get 720/60p. So you're going to see this on ABC TV and perhaps other ABC owned channels, but not elsewhere.

So that CBS downconversion is bad news for absolutely everyone.

#89 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 01:06 PM

:welcome_s hazydave
Some of the assumptions at the beginning of this thread are no longer true. It appears that E* is now doing straight 1080i conversions to 1280x1080i on those channels they have chosen to downsize and passing 1280x720p on channels such as ESPN2HD that are provided in that format. It does not appear that they are doing the 1920x1080i -> 1280x720p trick that was reported by a single source at the beginning of the thread.

JL

spam firewall