Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Atlanta, Georgia MPEG4 5 LNB dish installation photos

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   upsnda

upsnda

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 01:48 PM

Well, I've been waiting and waiting and waiting..... but today my upgrade to the new 5 LNB dish was completed. The installer was great, drove down from South Carolina to help the local installers out due to the number of upgrade installs that are being performed.... and he knew what he was doing. His install consisted of the new dish on a pole sitting at the rear corner of my home. We choose this location so that we would have best line of sight and also could use the existing Digicon RG6 coax cable and connectors.

See attached Photos of Install

System was dialed in using a Avcom PSA-45D Portable Spectrum Analyser and Channel Master CM 1007 IFD Single Signal Meter, Dish worked right from the start. The 103 had some issues at first, but it finally came in... The installer spent about 40mins getting sat/signals tweaked, You've got to be right on or your SOL....The final readings are as follows.
99 - 0%
101 - 90%
103 - 91%
113 - 92%
119 - 90%

Install consisted of 2 new H20 receivers and 1 Phillips Tivo. Which replaced 1 Sony HD-200 and Samsung TIS-360. The H20 guide seems a little slow, but I think its due to the update the receiver is taking. "per the installer"

New Locals look awesome, can't wait for the addtional HD channels..... DTV installer was great.....

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00482.JPG
  • DSC00486.JPG
  • DSC00492.JPG
  • DSC00493.JPG
  • DSC00494.JPG
  • DSC00490.JPG
  • DSC00487.JPG
  • DSC00489.JPG

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 01:52 PM

Thats great upsnda! And welcome to the forums! :welcome_s

#3 OFFLINE   dsanbo

dsanbo

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 03:36 PM

upsnda.....
Great to hear someone got an installer that knew his/her stuff!!! Spectrum analyzer and all!!!:D
The pix help out, too...I am curious about one thing....maybe it's just the flash on the camera playing tricks....or is the top cover on that H20 GOLD?????;) If it IS...nice touch.....
Anyway....Good luck with the new setup! My AT-9 is on its way from Michigan; will arrive Tuesday....but, because of lousy weather, I don't know when the guy will be able to install it....Mine HAS to be roof-mounted to clear trees, but I have great rear support for the mount - nearly 3 sq. ft. of sidewall....

#4 OFFLINE   upsnda

upsnda

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 03:39 PM

No problem, football this afternoon has been awesome...... The H20 is silver, looks like it was the flash...... god luck with getting your equipment....

#5 OFFLINE   meliketv

meliketv

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 01:11 PM

I am just outside the Atlanta Georgia area and my installer was from South Carolina. He said the same thing that the installers here were not trained as of yet. He did a good job and mounted mine on the side of the house.

#6 OFFLINE   Bornzo

Bornzo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:46 AM

Just wanted to add a line or two. I was due for the hd upgrade install on 12/16/05, but due to the nice weather here in Chicago area the install was moved to the 27th of december. The installer came out but the wind was about 30mph and the snow was falling. I will keep my fingers crossed for the 27th. Nice pics upsnda!!

#7 OFFLINE   hawk259

hawk259

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 04:09 PM

His install consisted of the new dish on a pole sitting at the rear corner of my home. We choose this location so that we would have best line of sight and also could use the existing Digicon RG6 coax cable and connectors.

upsnda,

Any reason you didn't use the same mounting place as your old dish?

I noticed from the pictures it looks like your old dish is mounted on the side of your house. I have mine in the same place but about 12-15 feet from the ground and would like to use the same location if possible when the disk is upgraded.

Did the installer say anything about not putting it there?

Brian

#8 OFFLINE   upsnda

upsnda

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 05:52 AM

Brian, the installer did not feel comfortable in mounting on the house. Stated new dish weighs about 45+ lbs. Stated best place for dish is on the ground. It was a bear to get the dish dialed in, but once he completed about 45mins. Man what a picture. The networks look great.. Monday night football last night was the best ever!. Good luck with your install. All in all the H20 is a good receiver, the channel changing is a little slow. I'm using a Pronto TSU-7000 for my home theater and it seems like it takes forever to change channels or bring up the guide.... outside of that issue all is good!

#9 OFFLINE   greywolf

greywolf

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 10:11 AM

The AT9 weighs about 32 lbs. :)

#10 OFFLINE   upsnda

upsnda

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 06:00 AM

Well I've had my H20 and 5LNB for a week now and I must say that the picture is outstanding. The only issue I'm having is that the guide and channel changing is really slow. I also noticed that when you bring up the guide it does not jump to the current time slot, it pops up with the last time I ran the guide... I'm pretty sure my receiver took the upgrade the other day, "the logos are changed" does anyone have this problem as well?

#11 OFFLINE   jimisham

jimisham

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 05:23 PM

What did he use for a pole and what diameter?

#12 OFFLINE   dodge

dodge

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 08:17 PM

In the first picture is that an ota antenna in the top right corner??

#13 OFFLINE   upsnda

upsnda

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 07:10 AM

Yes that is my Channel Master 4228 8-bay. was used with the 3lnb setup. Havent removed it to date. been comparing picture from OTA to MPEG4.

the H20 guide is a real pig... on this H20, also seeing some but not much of lip sync? thought the upgrade the other day fixed this issue. Still feel the picture is great, much better than my old Sony or Samsung HD receivers! can't wait for the new HD channels... god knows when that will be!

#14 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 380 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 11:22 AM

As I type this message, I am having my upgrade to the new dish done at this time. The installer wanted me to sign a roof waiver due to the size and weight of the new dish, which I have agreed to do.

Now, according to the installers, we here in metro Atlanta are having a pixelation issue with our locals. The installers have told me that it is a software issue with D*. Anyone else have a similar issue?

#15 OFFLINE   f300v10

f300v10

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 01:04 PM

As I replied in the Atlanta yahoo HDTV group, I am not experiencing any pixelation issues on the D* HD locals. I have had them since Dec. 10, and have watched at least 30 hours without any problems. The picture quality of the NBC channel was poor when I first got upgraded, but in the past week it is much improved. All 4 channels now look virtually identical to the OTA channels. I have my H20 set to output 720P, and other that a bug that re-boots the box when editing a favorites list, the H20 works well.

#16 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 380 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 05:03 PM

I just mentioned this in the Yahoo group, but I'm watching the NFL game on the local CBS HD via D*, and I am experiencing some minor pixelation and some audio drops.

The signal strength has been ranging between 88-94 for the 103 satellite. One of the installers said that 94 was the highest signal strength he had seen while installing these new dishes. I have my output set at 1080i since my television does not support 720p (I have a 5 year old Sony Wega).

#17 OFFLINE   f300v10

f300v10

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 05:38 PM

I am also watching the Denver vs. San Deigo game on CBS, and have seen zero pixilation. Maybe the problem is only on 1080i? BTW, my signal strength on 103 varies between 91 and 94, and it shows 94 now.

#18 OFFLINE   dsanbo

dsanbo

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 04:08 PM

Anyone happen to notice during that game....there was audio "popping", almost like rain falling on the ambience microphones...???:confused:
The noise was too rhythmic to be a poor connection or breakup.....I didn't watch the whole game...just about 5 minutes, and the noise was constant......

#19 OFFLINE   DonCorleone

DonCorleone

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 06:35 PM

Thanks for the pictures. I had a couple of questions. Why are you keeping the 18X24 dish up? I currently have a 18X18 and was going to get rid of that for the 5LNB...I can do that, right?

How much do they charge for the Dish installation? I was going to put mine on the roof until I read the posts about the weight. I'd really prefer not to put it on the ground so that no one can touch it, so I'm a little concerned about that. Any comments/info you have would be appreciated.

Oh, and where did you buy it? I can't find that dish on Circuit City, Best Buy, Amazon, or anywhere else, it seems

Protected By... spam firewall...And...