Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

what I learned using a splitter instead of a multiswitch

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   yeto

yeto

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 04:02 PM

First of all thanks to all who took the time to share their knowledge in the “cascadable multi-switch question” below. I went to several different forums searching for information and this board was by far the best.

I have a DVR R10 Tivo Satellite receiver with a 3 LNB oval dish.

I split one of the lines with a regular splitter so that I could use both tuners in one room as the other three lines from the dish run to other rooms. Some of the regular posters on this forum told me what to expect and for the most part they were right. I was also warned that by using this method I could burn up my receiver and that the channels sometime change polarity without warning which could cause me to miss something that I have set to record. So far, no problems with the receiver burning up. If this eventually does happen I will let you know.

You can use a splitter instead of a multi-switch if you are willing to put up with the fact that you can only use both tuners when they are tuned to the same polarity channels. So what happens if you are tuned to two vertical polarity channels and you switch one to a horizontal polarity channel. Well let’s call one of the tuners the dominant tuner and the other the non-dominant tuner. If you switch the channel with the dominant tuner the channel will change and the other channel will lose signal. If you switch the channel with the non-dominant tuner the channel you are currently watching will lose signal and the other channel will stay on.

I cannot find any indicators with the R10 that will tell you which tuner you are currently watching. So how do you tell if you are watching the dominant tuner or the non-dominant tuner? The only way that I know of is to change the channel and see if it changes. If it changes then you know you are on the dominant tuner, if it does not change then you know you are on the non-dominant tuner. If anyone knows of a way to tell which tuner you are currently watching please let us know.

Hope this helps,
Yeto

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 04:14 PM

Another test you can try is to use a splitter that only passes the DC switching voltage on one leg. Then connect that leg to the Sat In 1, this will always be the dominant tuner.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   yeto

yeto

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 04:26 PM

Another test you can try is to use a splitter that only passes the DC switching voltage on one leg. Then connect that leg to the Sat In 1, this will always be the dominant tuner.

Thanks!

Can you give me a link to such splitter?

Thanks for all your help,
Yeto

#4 OFFLINE   greywolf

greywolf

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 07:17 PM

http://www.solidsign...AT=&PROD=SP2HF1 is one possibility. Any splitter with the required range and one port power passing will do the trick.

#5 OFFLINE   yeto

yeto

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 04:09 AM

Upon further review the splitter you describe is exactly like the one I am using. So from my description above can you explain to me exactly what happens when I change channels on each tuner?

I guess that throws my theory of the dominant tuner out the window.

Thanks,
Yeto

#6 OFFLINE   greywolf

greywolf

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 08:47 AM

Are you sure you don't have a model with a line between the common leg and both of the other legs such as http://www.prosatell...al_splitter.htm

A single power passing splitter will have one line between the common leg and another leg which will control the transponder set requests. An all power passing splitter will say that and/or have a line to each other leg from the common leg.

#7 OFFLINE   yeto

yeto

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 09:04 AM

Are you sure you don't have a model with a line between the common leg and both of the other legs such as http://www.prosatell...al_splitter.htm

A single power passing splitter will have one line between the common leg and another leg which will control the transponder set requests. An all power passing splitter will say that and/or have a line to each other leg from the common leg.

This is the splitter that I have. http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1110262781904

What would happen if I used a splitter with no blocking circuitry? Would both tuners be dominant? In other words, would I be able to change the polarity with either tuner?

Thanks,
Yeto

#8 OFFLINE   yeto

yeto

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 09:12 AM

If I try a splitter that is all power passing will there be a greater chance of burning something up?

Thanks,
Yeto

#9 OFFLINE   greywolf

greywolf

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:51 AM

Whichever receiver is on the power pass leg should control which transponder set is selected with that type. Fire is not an option. Neither type will allow one receiver to pass power to the other. They are diode steered. With an all power passing splitter, if either one of the receivers selects an even transpondered channel, only evens can be accessed.

#10 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 December 2005 - 06:33 PM

yeto, wouldnt it make more sense to just run the other line, you've probably wasted more time and effort trying to get out of running the line than had you just run it in the1st place...

#11 OFFLINE   yeto

yeto

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 05:22 AM

yeto, wouldnt it make more sense to just run the other line, you've probably wasted more time and effort trying to get out of running the line than had you just run it in the1st place...

I come from a generation that is always trying to beat the system. Sorry, I just can't help it. It's in my blood.

Thanks for your reply,
Yeto

#12 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:37 PM

Beating the system in my book is doing it the least expensive way. And, in this case running another line fits that bill.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#13 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 09:38 PM

I come from a generation that is always trying to beat the system. Sorry, I just can't help it. It's in my blood.

Thanks for your reply,
Yeto

This isn't "trying to beat the system." This is trying to beat the laws of physics and brother, unless you're truly a tron god, you won't!

#14 OFFLINE   yeto

yeto

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 11:21 PM

test results in - single power passing splitter (spps) vs. all power passing splitter (apps)

I replaced the spps with an apps. Before with the spps if I was on the dominant tuner I could go to a channel with a different polarity and I would immediately get a picture then I could go to the second tuner and get a picture also. With the apps no matter which tuner I am on I cannot get a picture at first. I have to put the different polarity channel in which gives me the searching for signal message then I go to the second tuner and put the different polarity channel in and I get picture on that channel then I have to go back to the other tuner and put the different polarity channel in and I will get a picture.

So basically the apps works the same as the spps if you start on the
non-dominant tuner with the spps.

So for me the spps works best and fortunately for me the channels that I watch the most are of the same polarity.

So far I have had no problem with equipment failure or the unit over-heating.

Hope this helps someone in the future,
Yeto

#15 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 19 January 2006 - 11:35 PM

If I lived in your household I would have taken you out back and shot you already..

;)

I cant imagine anyone willing to put up with that garbage to avoid running another line....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...