Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Grandmother needs advice

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   NannaneedsHDTV

NannaneedsHDTV

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 09:03 PM

Hello,
This is my first time in this forum (or any for that matter). My son-in-law sent me here to see if you all can be of assistance (he is of the belief of "watch one, do one, teach one" school of learning). I've decided to buy an HDTV. I have been a long time subscriber to DirecTv and would like to keep it as my cable service in this rural area is weak. I'm also about 70 miles from Charlotte NC which makes getting the signal from an antenna problematic.

So, what do I need to know before I call DirecTv and ask to upgrade? My son-in-law says I should see if I can get an HDTV DVR (I don't know what that means but he said I wouldn't need a VCR any more if I did that). He also said I should buy a $250 Harmony Remote control. Is that really worth it? By the way I primarily watch "The Young and the Restless" which I saw on my son-in-laws HDTV and was impressed w/ the picture. My husband watches a lot of other sports etc.

Thank you for any guidance you can provide. Happy Holidays.

Nanna

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sheepishlion

sheepishlion

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:26 PM

Welcome to dbstalk! As far as HD goes, there are a couple things I would recomend you ask DirecTV when you call them. The first would be to see if your local channels are available in HD in your area. If they are not available, then you may want to consider getting an off air antanna (only $50 more to have DirecTV install) to recieve your local channels in HD until they are available. If local channels aren't available in HD yet, I would see when they are going to be available, because when they do become available there will be a cost to upgrade your existing receiver to one that can get the HD locals through the satelite.

With the HD-DVR, the current model is not capable of getting HD locals, and I beleive there isn't going to be an HD-DVR capable of that until spring of '06. Also, the DVR would be very nice for you because you can set up what is called a Season Pass, and it will record all the showings of "The Young and the Restless," or any other show you tell it to, automatically. The current HD-DVR is nice because it uses the TiVo software, and so it doesn't have bugs like DirecTV's new DVR.

Another thing I would recommend you check out is the inputs for the HDTV you plan on purchasing, and make sure that the receiver you get has the same type of output so that you can connect them. Happy shopping for your HDTV, and HD receiver! :D

#3 OFFLINE   sheepishlion

sheepishlion

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:40 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention about the Harmony remote you mentioned. I have a Harmony that I got for about $90, and I love it. It makes TV watching easy for anyone. I have room mates that don't know much about entertainment systems, and once I got this remote, it made life so much easier for them. Once the remote is programmed, all you have to do it tell it you want to 'Watch TV,' or 'Watch a Move,' and it knows what needs to be on, and what can stay off. It also knows that the volume is controlled with my stereo receiver, so that when change the volume it controls the stereo. It's great, it is truly a universal remote. I would say it is worth it, then you only need one remote.

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,228 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 18 December 2005 - 11:20 PM

To be honest, HD is not DirecTV's strongest point at the moment. They are rapidly working to expand their HD offerings, however they only offer HD on local channels in a few select markets right now.
-
It sounds as though your over the air options are also limited. At the moment, DirecTV will give you a handful of channels that have HD (other than your local channels) and recommend an over the air antenna for your local channels. That does not sound like it will work for you.
-
If your cable company does not offer your local channels in HD, you might want to consider waiting on that HD television for 6 months or so. I expect DirecTV will be offering HD in many more markets by then than they do now.
-
Check on the DirecTV website to see if local channels are even available where you are (they may not be). If they are, they will almost certainly be standard, not high,definition. If they are not offered at all, then you may be able to get the New York network feeds in HD. You need to ask very specific questions to DirecTV and make sure you get specific answers before you make your final decision.
-
Carl

#5 OFFLINE   NannaneedsHDTV

NannaneedsHDTV

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:11 AM

Thank you all for the helpful information. At this time my local channels are not in HDTV through DirecTV, but I do get my local channels through the Satellite now and my son-in-law did mention he'd heard I need to upgrade at some point.

So what you all are saying is that there is no HD-DVR available that can record locals in HD once my local station appears on DirecTV HD? And that it looks like it will be Spring time b/f that is an option?

I really don't want to buy a box now and another one later if I can avoid it. Is there any concern about the new HD-DVR that will come out in the spring? Are these things like new cars - meaning you don't buy the newest models until they've been out awhile?

Again - many thanks - this is kinda of fun.

Nanna

#6 OFFLINE   sheepishlion

sheepishlion

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:26 AM

That's correct, the current HD-DVR will just need to be upgraded when DirecTV comes out with one that can record the locals ion HD. So you would have to pay even more once that is an option to upgrade that receiver. I agree with Carl, it would probably be better to wait 6 months or so, and then upgrade when DirecTV has the new HD-DVR that is compatible with the HD locals.

As far as any concerns with bugs and such, it depends on what software they use with it. If like the current HD-DVR, they use the TiVo software, there should be no problems with it. If they use their software like what they have on the R15, then there may or may not be any bugs in it. Hopefully they should have all the bugs for the R15 worked out before then, and so if they use the same software there shouldn't be any bugs. I think the biggest problem with the R15 is they were too anxious to have the R15's out before Christmas even though it wasn't ready. I don't think they will do that with the HD-DVR. They generally select a small market to test out new software, or hardware before launching anything nation wide.

When you do decide to upgrade to HD make sure you mention that you want your local channels in HD, otherwise they may not set you up with the correct equipment, just because that equipment is limited.

#7 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,228 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:19 AM

So what you all are saying is that there is no HD-DVR available that can record locals in HD once my local station appears on DirecTV HD? And that it looks like it will be Spring time b/f that is an option?

DirecTV is in the process of converting HD transmissions to a new fomrat. Current equipment will not be compatible with the new format, but they will offer new equipment that is. I believe the new HD DVR will be available sometime within the next 6 months.

I really don't want to buy a box now and another one later if I can avoid it. Is there any concern about the new HD-DVR that will come out in the spring? Are these things like new cars - meaning you don't buy the newest models until they've been out awhile?

Nanna

The current belief is that the new HD DVR will be non-TiVo and will be based on the same technology and general software build as the new R15 non HD DVR. There are some problems with the R15, and most people expect they will be corrected in the near future. Will the new HD DVR be bug free when it hits the market? I doubt it. Will it have the same bugs the R15 has? I certainly hope not. But like a new car, some people like the newest latest greatest, and others prefer to wait a bit.

Check with a local retailer that offers HD television sets and ask them what the best way to get HD is in your area. What do others that have HD do to get the signals? Maybe you can get HD now using cable or a very good over the air antenna, and upgrade to DirecTV HD when they offer locals in your market.

Carl

#8 OFFLINE   NannaneedsHDTV

NannaneedsHDTV

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 09:39 PM

Thank you so much for all of your advice. I will try to go by the local TV store and see what they say, but in a small town it is hard to get the most up to date information. If one of you do learn something that would be of interest to me please let me know. Until then I'll be patient.

Happy Holidays to you all. I hope Santa (or whatever stranger enters your home on 12/24-25) brings you some electronic toy you want.

Nanna.

#9 OFFLINE   Malibu13

Malibu13

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 09:57 PM

Thank you so much for all of your advice. I will try to go by the local TV store and see what they say, but in a small town it is hard to get the most up to date information. If one of you do learn something that would be of interest to me please let me know. Until then I'll be patient.

Happy Holidays to you all. I hope Santa (or whatever stranger enters your home on 12/24-25) brings you some electronic toy you want.

Nanna.

NannaneedsHDTV, Welcome to DBSTalk:welcome_s ...........For more in-depth information, you may also want to visit our HDTV forum:http://www.dbstalk.c...splay.php?f=78:)

Happy Holidays to you as well;)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...