Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Switch from Dish to Direct TV?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   randog311

randog311

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 12:37 AM

I'am a New Member, Hi.
I have been a dissatisfied Dish customer 7+ years (2-5000 Model "UPGRADABLE Recievers"), I recently purchased a 34" CRT HD Ready TV. "Dish Customer Service?" is unwilling or able to supply the Upgrade adapters for HDTV and or Digital Audio or even offer a reasonable Reciever swap or upgrade deal for me.
In short I want to switch to Direct TV!
Q#1: Any suggestions on how to get the best deal for a new subscriber?
2-rooms (1-plain Jane reciever / 1- DVR)
Q#2: Any suggestions on which "High End HD DVR" to purchase and where to purchase later to replace the plain Jane (STD) reciever that comes with the initial install deal?
Any help would be apprieciated
Thanks Randog311

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero

Godfather

• Registered
  • 280 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 12:47 AM

I'am a New Member, Hi.
I have been a dissatisfied Dish customer 7+ years (2-5000 Model "UPGRADABLE Recievers"), I recently purchased a 34" CRT HD Ready TV. "Dish Customer Service?" is unwilling or able to supply the Upgrade adapters for HDTV and or Digital Audio or even offer a reasonable Reciever swap or upgrade deal for me.
Q#2: Any suggestions on which "High End HD DVR" to purchase and where to purchase later to replace the plain Jane (STD) reciever that comes with the initial install deal?
Thanks Randog311

Not to sure about the two room thang, but D* now has an offer to new an current customers for a HDTV package upgrade. Get a H10 or H20 receiver with a 3LNB dish for free with two year service commitment. You get the HD package for three months free.

#3 OFFLINE   solomita

solomita

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 04:28 AM

There is only one HD DVR to choose from, so it's an easy choice. The HR10-250.

#4 OFFLINE   redskin9

redskin9

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:12 AM

Current promo will allow you to get a HR10-250 rcvr/DVR for $399 after $200 rebate. Also up to 3 more rooms free standard rcvr . You can also choose H20 rcvr (HD) for $199 with $199 rebate. In the markets that are being upgraded to local HD you can negotiate the swap out of the H10 for the H20 and 5 LNB dish required for free. Rumor is that D* will also provide a free swap when the HR20 DVR becomes available around the end of the 1st Q of 06.

Because your market (Denver) is ranked 18th in the nation D* should be offering the HR20 for local HD soon. You may want to hold off a month or two until you can confirm an exact time frame. That way you can just subscribe as a new customer and get the latest equipment without going thru swap process. Call D* and/or check the other forums here to learn more.

#5 OFFLINE   randog311

randog311

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 08:26 AM

Thanks all for your input.

Late randog311

#6 OFFLINE   KingLoop

KingLoop

Custom User Title

• Gold Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 08:42 AM

Current promo will allow you to get a HR10-250 rcvr/DVR for $399 after $200 rebate. Also up to 3 more rooms free standard rcvr . You can also choose H20 rcvr (HD) for $199 with $199 rebate. In the markets that are being upgraded to local HD you can negotiate the swap out of the H10 for the H20 and 5 LNB dish required for free. Rumor is that D* will also provide a free swap when the HR20 DVR becomes available around the end of the 1st Q of 06.

Because your market (Denver) is ranked 18th in the nation D* should be offering the HR20 for local HD soon. You may want to hold off a month or two until you can confirm an exact time frame. That way you can just subscribe as a new customer and get the latest equipment without going thru swap process. Call D* and/or check the other forums here to learn more.

Any customer can get an H20 for $199 W/ a $200 rebate that much is true. The 5 LNB dish would not be included though. The HR10-250 is MPEG2 and IMHO is a waste of money at this point. Now D* did upgrade my uncle to the new dish for free, but that was through D* directly, subcontracted through Michigan Microtech, and was part of a Direct movers install; I think a new customer would be hard pressed to get upgraded to the new dish and an H20 for less than a total of $299 at the door, with a $200 rebate through a retailer as it stands now. As far as the standard upgrade to a 5 LNB dish, D*'s current existing customer promotion is $99 for the install. Anything else would be an exception.
KL

#7 OFFLINE   tds4182

tds4182

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:26 PM

I'd recommend Robert at Value Electronics. I've done business with him in the past and he's been very fair and helpful. They're highly recommended on some of the other DBS sites.

Their website is valueelectronics.com.

Good luck and welcome to D*!

I'am a New Member, Hi.
Thanks Randog311

#8 OFFLINE   randog311

randog311

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 11:19 AM

Made the switch from Dish, I got the H20 like I asked for but they installed the
3LNB (not the 5LNB I asked for), The CSR I spoke to said he made notes in my account that I had asked for the 5LNB so hopefully I won't have a problem getting it switched out later.
So far all is good, still getting used to the different channel line-up.
I ordered the service through my local phone company (Qwest) to take advantage
of thier "Bundle" savings deal and the billing through them as well.
The Wife is a bit miffed in dealing with the change although see too will get
used to the differences.
I did E/mail Robert @ Value Electronics (got no response back).
I'am pleased with the "OTA" HD Local channels, I am not currently recieving Ch 7
though, I will try to reposition the Ant. in the attic (easier said than done due to
the rafters ETC...)

Thanks to all who replied with info & suggestions

randog311

#9 OFFLINE   dsanbo

dsanbo

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 03:02 PM

randog311....
There are still areas, not yet serviced with MPEG4 HD-LILs, that are not getting delivery of the AT9 dish.....In my area (Boston DMA), my installer had only gotten 5 into his warehouse; I had to have mine shipped in from the DC area (ValueElectronics). As long as your guy has made note of a future swap-out, you should be OK.....Good luck!
BTW....aside from a (possible) s-l-o-w feeding menu, I think you'll like the H20....the OTA tuner is SUPER!!! PQ overall is, IMHO, above average....

#10 OFFLINE   randog311

randog311

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 07:06 PM

dsanbo....
With the H20 I only noticed the slow change in screens the first day, It seems fine now esp. when compared to my old/ageing Dish model 5000 recievers I was familiar with.

Thanks randog311

#11 OFFLINE   C*Tedesco

C*Tedesco

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:32 PM

Ok, just switched from Dish to Direct as well. My understanding that in the DC area, local HD channels are included and there is no need for an OTA antenna. That is the main reason I switched, just want to make sure this is the case.

Also, I opted for the HD receiver with no DVR, how is that HD receiver. Not getting installation for 2 weeks so doing some more research.

#12 OFFLINE   randog311

randog311

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 11:25 PM

Ok, just switched from Dish to Direct as well. My understanding that in the DC area, local HD channels are included and there is no need for an OTA antenna. That is the main reason I switched, just want to make sure this is the case.

Also, I opted for the HD receiver with no DVR, how is that HD receiver. Not getting installation for 2 weeks so doing some more research.

C*Tedesco....
So far I love the H20 reciever, My understanding is that I will need the 5LNB Sat
Dish to get all the available channels incl. Sat fed locals (at an additional monthly charge).
Good luck on your install, let me know how it goes & if they supply you with the 5LNB Dish?

randog311

#13 OFFLINE   C*Tedesco

C*Tedesco

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:01 AM

C*Tedesco....
So far I love the H20 reciever, My understanding is that I will need the 5LNB Sat
Dish to get all the available channels incl. Sat fed locals (at an additional monthly charge).
Good luck on your install, let me know how it goes & if they supply you with the 5LNB Dish?

randog311

Well, I am assuming they provide the 5LNB dish, that might be my downfall since you shouldn't assume anything. I will call again to make sure that this is the case.

But I had a lengthy discussion with the rep that I'm switching to get the locals in High Definition through the dish, not OTA antenna.

#14 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:27 AM

C*Tedesco,

Just to make sure you are aware, the only HD locals you will get from the satellite at this point are the big four networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox). The rest would still be OTA via an antenna.

#15 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 12:18 PM

Made the switch from Dish, I got the H20 like I asked for but they installed the
3LNB (not the 5LNB I asked for), The CSR I spoke to said he made notes in my account that I had asked for the 5LNB so hopefully I won't have a problem getting it switched out later.
So far all is good, still getting used to the different channel line-up.
I ordered the service through my local phone company (Qwest) to take advantage
of thier "Bundle" savings deal and the billing through them as well.
The Wife is a bit miffed in dealing with the change although see too will get
used to the differences.
I did E/mail Robert @ Value Electronics (got no response back).
I'am pleased with the "OTA" HD Local channels, I am not currently recieving Ch 7
though, I will try to reposition the Ant. in the attic (easier said than done due to
the rafters ETC...)

Thanks to all who replied with info & suggestions

randog311

Welcome to DirecTV and DBSTalk.

You may want to join us here for the challenges of getting OTA HD in Denver and our thoughts :( about KMGH- ABC 7.

http://www.avsforum....&page=459&pp=30

#16 OFFLINE   C*Tedesco

C*Tedesco

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 12:34 PM

C*Tedesco,

Just to make sure you are aware, the only HD locals you will get from the satellite at this point are the big four networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox). The rest would still be OTA via an antenna.

Heck, that's fine with me. I have the option for OTA. I even have a pretty big antenna on my roof ,the problem is, it's flakey. I was watching the Steelers game and POOF!!, no picture. (dish's 811) That was my last draw, so those 4 channels are good. It would be nice to have PBS, but not going to cry over it.

thanks!

spam firewall