Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Outside of Locals, what other new HD?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ggalindo

ggalindo

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 11:35 AM

Sorry for the noob post, but I have searched and really cannot find an answer to this. I saw that by 2007, 150 "national" HD channels are planned, but I'm not sure if that is referring to actual HD channels that I and everyone else can get, or if they are network broadcast channels that I will only receive my locals.

Basically, I have the HD10 DVR and have HD waivers for 2 of the 4 broadcast stations. The other 2 networks I receive 90+% of the time OTA, so I do not have an urgent need to upgrade, unless with the rollout they are adding other HD (non OTA network) channels. Complicating this is that getting to my dish is a nightmare and I would just as soon not mess around with trying to replace it if I do not have to.

Does anybody know what non-network HD channels are planned and the approximate timeframe (January 2006 v sometime late in 2007!). I'm sure that is the million dollar question, but if anybody has M4 right now and they have added non-network channels, I would be very interested in knowing. I just cannot imagine in my situation that it would be worth upgrading until there is a significant amount of new HD programming.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DaveTinNY

DaveTinNY

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 11:34 AM

Sorry for the noob post, but I have searched and really cannot find an answer to this. I saw that by 2007, 150 "national" HD channels are planned, but I'm not sure if that is referring to actual HD channels that I and everyone else can get, or if they are network broadcast channels that I will only receive my locals.

Basically, I have the HD10 DVR and have HD waivers for 2 of the 4 broadcast stations. The other 2 networks I receive 90+% of the time OTA, so I do not have an urgent need to upgrade, unless with the rollout they are adding other HD (non OTA network) channels. Complicating this is that getting to my dish is a nightmare and I would just as soon not mess around with trying to replace it if I do not have to.

Does anybody know what non-network HD channels are planned and the approximate timeframe (January 2006 v sometime late in 2007!). I'm sure that is the million dollar question, but if anybody has M4 right now and they have added non-network channels, I would be very interested in knowing. I just cannot imagine in my situation that it would be worth upgrading until there is a significant amount of new HD programming.

No problem! I asked the same question a while back and one of the folks here said that HGTV/Food Network would be going HD in January. Beyond that, I don't know of any others right now. Like you, unless they add a bunch of channels with the MPEG4 conversion, it may not be worth the upgrade. It IS free however so I may buckle anyway.

#3 OFFLINE   Coastsider

Coastsider

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 03:47 PM

The National Geographic channel has been running those lower right hand corner tags about their HD channel being available soon and I sorta kinda remember reading somewhere that DirecTV might be adding it to their HD package lineup. It would be a good start towards more good HD content. If this is true, it seems likely it would be on the 110 for now so everyone with the HD pack could get it.

Anyone else heard of this possibility?

#4 OFFLINE   scrannel

scrannel

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:43 AM

I'm in the Los Angeles area and spoke with DirecTV today (not that they know what they're talking about) and they claim the upgrade is a primarily for the locals (which I already get anyway). Then mentioned nothing else at the moment. Only thing that would make me upgrade is PBS. I only watch the locals for news anyway and most ot that footage is not HD.

#5 OFFLINE   scooby2

scooby2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:37 AM

There will probably be a few new this year but dont expect much until the new Ka satellites (directv10 and directv11) go up in 2007.

#6 OFFLINE   94SupraTT

94SupraTT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 01:02 AM

No problem! I asked the same question a while back and one of the folks here said that HGTV/Food Network would be going HD in January.

MPEG2 or MPEG4?

spam firewall