Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sports Pack Blackout Rules

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 10:38 AM

How do the blackout rules work for Sports Pack programming? I'm apparently in the NY market (according to DirecTV's little zip calculator thing), so does that mean I'd get only NY games on the sports pack, or that those will be blacked out and I'd get everything else?

Also, does the Sports Pack include EVERY RSN? My friend just ordered it and said there were a few of them he still didn't get...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 10:52 AM

I thought that with Sports Pack alone you can not get any professional games that are outside your local sports area. So if you are in the NY area and you wanted to watch a Cleveland Cavs game on FSN Ohio, that game would be blacked out on sports pack. In this case you would have to subscribe to NBA League Pass in order to get the game.

#3 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 10:53 AM

OK, but what about games that aren't carried by the PPV pack? In your example, what if that game isn't available on League Pass?

#4 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 11:03 AM

OK, but what about games that aren't carried by the PPV pack? In your example, what if that game isn't available on League Pass?

I'm not sure, maybe then it would be available on sports pack. But 99% of the time the game is on League Pass. I would check with your friend who has sports pack and see if he can get any games. Let us know if he gets any games that are not blacked out.

#5 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 12:22 PM

Sports Pack does not get any truly additional professional sports, unless you are in an area claimed by more than one team.

Therefore, if you are getting Sports Pack to get games that aren't on League Pass, then you won't really get any additional games.

With Total Choice, you receive your local RSN's. There is no need to subscribe to Sports Pack if you want your local games.

#6 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 01:32 PM

Sports Pack does not get any truly additional professional sports, unless you are in an area claimed by more than one team.

In areas like Hartford, CT, Total Choice provides YES Network, NESN, and FSNE. If you also want MSG Network and FSNY you need to add the sports pack. Other than situations like this the sports pack probably won't help you.

#7 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:31 PM

What about replays of professional games? I assume the blackouts only cover live events (i.e. if an RSN replays a professional game, that replay WOULD be shown on the RSN and not blacked out if you have the sports pack)...

#8 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:50 PM

What about replays of professional games? I assume the blackouts only cover live events (i.e. if an RSN replays a professional game, that replay WOULD be shown on the RSN and not blacked out if you have the sports pack)...

I would guess that the replays would not be blacked out.

#9 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 883 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:02 PM

Sometimes there are black outs of replays.

The Sports pak is only good for most college sports and some minor league hockey on the rsn's.

#10 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:18 AM

What I always find strange is that events are blacked on DirecTV but they are not blacked out on cable in the same area.

#11 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:35 AM

Yeah, in my area they black out Nets games on YES on D*, while the local cable company airs them.

#12 OFFLINE   lwilbur

lwilbur

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:36 AM

I was wondering this myself as I abondoned Dish after paying for the NHL Center ICE package. I live in OHIO but am a Boston Bruins fan. NESN (part of the sports package) carries almost all of the Bruins games. Occasionally I can catch a Bruins game at the true game time. The beauty of the thing is that NESN replays the games twice over the next 24 hours and I have been able to catch the repeat everytime so far even when they 1st run game was blacked out (at least 5 ganes so far). Thank God for the DVR

#13 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 12:29 PM

Yeah, in my area they black out Nets games on YES on D*, while the local cable company airs them.

I'd call and complain about that - you're clearly in the Nets home territory and should be able to watch those games on YES (without having to buy the Full Court package)...

#14 OFFLINE   orie

orie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 02:21 PM

I was wondering too. I wanted to get the Sports Package for the YES Network (I am a big Yankees fan, living in Virginia). I heard that the games are actually blacked out and you need to order the MLB extra innings to actually view the games.

#15 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 24 January 2006 - 02:25 PM

It's pretty much common knowledge that you need to get extra innings for games.

#16 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 02:45 PM

I was wondering too. I wanted to get the Sports Package for the YES Network (I am a big Yankees fan, living in Virginia). I heard that the games are actually blacked out and you need to order the MLB extra innings to actually view the games.

that si correct. You can expect that major league sports (live) will be blacked out on the sports pack. A few years back you could reliably catch the end of MLB games but that is less likely now.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#17 OFFLINE   orie

orie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 12:43 PM

that si correct. You can expect that major league sports (live) will be blacked out on the sports pack. A few years back you could reliably catch the end of MLB games but that is less likely now.

that's so weak :mad:

#18 OFFLINE   pudge44

pudge44

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 02:10 PM

You can't expect to receive something for a few bucks that DTV and the cable COs are selling for much more than that.

Sports pack is good if you're a college basketball, football or even hockey junkie. But if you're looking for a cheap end-run around the season-long sports subscriptions, forget it.

#19 OFFLINE   leww37334

leww37334

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:27 PM

I have always been befuddled by the blackout rules, I have MLB extra innings, I live in South Middle Tennessee (Fayetteville, TN) and the Cincinnatti games are blacked out (even with MLB extra innings). I was told I am actually in the blackout area for Cincinnatti. However under TC+ the Fox sports channel I get is Fox Sports South, not the Cincinnatti or the Ohio Fox sports channel. If anyone can explain this I would love to hear the explanation.

#20 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:34 PM

I just put your Zip Code in, it turns out you live in an area that can get both the Cincinnati Reds and Columbus Crew on FSN Cincinnati if you subscribe to Sports Pack. Because of this, they black out the games in your area unless you subscribe to Sports Pack or Total Choice Premiere.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...