Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

H20 audio sync problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Gmoney19

Gmoney19

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 04:17 PM

New to board here. I have a bevy of D equipment ( couple of Hughes boxes, RCA D Tivo boxes, H10 & H20). I have been with D for about 10 years and love it. I had my 5 LNB and H20 installed a month ago. I'm having a horrible problem with the audio on the HD locals. I called Tech Support and they were unable to help, techs have been out twice and cannot seem to find anything wrong, D even switched out the box. Anyone else have a similiar problem?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   upsnda

upsnda

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 06:33 AM

Yes ! H20 and 5 LNB installed a week ago here in Atlanta, noticed sync issue on new HD locals... not always an issue but is bothersome..... will call DTV for a service call!

#3 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,252 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 29 December 2005 - 06:48 AM

A word of advice: pull the drain plug.

Never buy an electronic device named "H-2-O"! :D

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#4 OFFLINE   dervari

dervari

Icon

• Registered
  • 777 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 07:06 AM

No need in getting a service call. It's a known issue with the MPEG4 locals. It's not limited to your box.

#5 OFFLINE   Gmoney19

Gmoney19

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:18 AM

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, the H20 should have been an indication. I have noticed the problem comes and goes. It is most obvious when watching a live broadcast (sports, news, etc). If anything changes for the better, I'll post.

#6 OFFLINE   Budget_HT

Budget_HT

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:38 PM

A work around for some older HD receivers was to change the channel and then change it back. That resync'ed the audio in some cases.
Dave

#7 OFFLINE   maccur

maccur

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 04:05 AM

Changing the channel doesn't seem to do it for me. I've had the H20 for nearly a week and still one local channel has audio ahead of picture. Is there a fix for this? Should we be calling technical support?

#8 OFFLINE   Coastsider

Coastsider

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 06:06 AM

The automatic push from v. A000 to v. 0F03 was supposed to and should have taken care of the audio sync problems among other things. Originally I had the sync problem with KTVU and KGO, with the latter being the worst offender. After the firmware upgrade KGO actually got worse but after a couple of days both the above mentioned channels synched up and have been locked in ever since.

If your H20 is at v. 0F03 you are current and I am surprised that you are still having the problem but I don't think calling support will fix it although if there are still others out there experiencing this, adding your name to that list can't hurt and might speed up another patch.

#9 OFFLINE   dsanbo

dsanbo

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 09:28 AM

The automatic push from v. A000 to v. 0F03 was supposed to and should have taken care of the audio sync problems among other things. Originally I had the sync problem with KTVU and KGO, with the latter being the worst offender. After the firmware upgrade KGO actually got worse but after a couple of days both the above mentioned channels synched up and have been locked in ever since.

If your H20 is at v. 0F03 you are current and I am surprised that you are still having the problem but I don't think calling support will fix it although if there are still others out there experiencing this, adding your name to that list can't hurt and might speed up another patch.

This was my understanding, too....But I just got my AT9 installed yesterday (Friday) and I've noticed the sync problem on one LIL (WHDH/7 - NBC) during local programming...OTOH.....CBSHD (WBZ4) is TERRIFIC!! I couldn't get over how great the pix looks!!:D Problem on channel 7 occurs on both my H20s, FWIW....
Methinks MPEG4 has some bugs which still need to be ironed out.....:(

#10 OFFLINE   Gmoney19

Gmoney19

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 04:13 PM

Thanks Coastsider. I'm current as of 12/20 with ver. 0F03. I'm patient and hoping D will figure out the bug. I think it is key for anyone having the problem to contact D's CSR as well.

#11 OFFLINE   maccur

maccur

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 05:38 PM

I talked with technical support this afternoon. My complaint has been noted. Whether this means anything, who knows?

#12 OFFLINE   Jimmy the Dish

Jimmy the Dish

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 06:13 PM

We have installed 12 H20 boxes and have had similiar audio problems happen twice. When turning on anything in the HD pack we had a poping screeching audio or on the HBO or Sho HD, replaced both receivers. The funny thing was the 1st one that had screeching audio on HD, bench tested fine later that week at my store.

#13 OFFLINE   mike539

mike539

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 10:16 PM

Had my install on Dec 14, 05 (H20&AT9 Dish) here in Philly
I have had sync problem ever since.
Got the 0F03 update on Dec 20, 05
the sync got worse.
Tech will be here on Jan 2, 05??????

#14 OFFLINE   rollingstone

rollingstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:54 AM

Hi All,

So in the Bay Area, I have the problem on Channel 2 only...and only the high def channel. A call to Directv said I was the only one to call about this problem. I do have the latest update.

I called before Xmas, maybe time to call again...

-Glen

#15 OFFLINE   Coastsider

Coastsider

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:16 AM

After a week or so of not seeing any audio sync problems they have reappeared, albeit not to the degree I had them initially, on three of the four Bay Area HD locals, the CBS affiliate being the exception. It's more intermittant now with a lesser degree of audio lag but still very annoying. Also the audio dropout problem still persists on the ABC station. I'm hoping for another patch soon to fix these issues once and for all.

#16 OFFLINE   maccur

maccur

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:47 AM

I spoke with D* technical support last night. They didn't have a record of my complaint about synch that I phoned in over the weekend. After being put on hold for 10 minutes, the D* rep told me they have notes of several complaints about the audio synch issue (specifically KTVU Fox) and that they are working on it. It should be fixed in a few days, he said (yeah, whatever). I was also told that the audio drop outs on KGO ABC are an isolated incident that should be cleared up by now. Compared to Monday morning, the audio drop outs on KGO did seem to go away last night. I'm still seeing some sparkling on KPIX CBS every now and then. Anyone else?

#17 OFFLINE   Coastsider

Coastsider

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 03:37 PM

I'm still seeing some sparkling on KPIX CBS every now and then. Anyone else?

By sparkling do you mean pixelatrion - areas on the screen breaking up ihnto pixels or small blocks on the image? I did notice some of that on one of the channels this past weekend but don't remember which. That kind of breakup can also be caused by heavy rain short of a complete loss of picture, and we have been having the rain lately.

#18 OFFLINE   maccur

maccur

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:43 PM

By sparkling I mean pixelation. Great, KGO HD is off the air tonight because of a transmission problem. No HD for the Orange Bowl.

#19 OFFLINE   Coastsider

Coastsider

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 04:05 PM

I assume by your comment that you don't have the L.A. HD feeds. I'm glad DirecTV didn't shut them off for those of us who do have them and recently migrated to the H20/AT9 to cover for just such an occasion as last night and until all of the audio problems with the locals are fixed.

Yes, I thought it rather stunning when I turned to Channel 7 and saw the on-screen message, especially with an important game scheduled. Must have been a humdinger of a problem.

Maybe they were upgrading to fix the audio problem. Yeh, right.

#20 OFFLINE   maccur

maccur

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 10:21 PM

Well, KTVU still has the audio synch issue and there have been multiple audio dropouts tonight on KGO (ABC) during the Rose Bowl. I switched from Dolby digital to stereo and that seemed to minimize the dropouts. Unfortunately, since I'm a new D* customer, I don't have access to the LA stations as alternatives to the problem-plagued HiDef locals.

spam firewall