Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

H20 audio sync problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   rabit ears

rabit ears

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 08:58 AM

Based on my past experience with OTA HD in the Bay Area, I think the majority of the problems are self-induced. I've had OTA HD for several years and I can't count the number of times that I've complained about A/V problems. KPIX and KGO are the worst.

In both cases, their technical staffs seem sub par all the way across the cognitive spectrum. Using a split screen to watch the Rose Bowl (what a great game, now if we could just get Keith (HOMER) Jackson off the air!) the signal from KGO took three or four plays to return to HD after commercial breaks while there was no problem with the feed from LA.

I’ve spoken with station management on this and they have no interest, whatsoever. The attitude in engineering is that “we can only deliver what the network sends” and when called on the SD/HD shifts, the answer is that the equipment is automated and therefore there is nothing that can be done (so, how is it that the LA equipment makes the shift and the KGO equipment doesn’t).

The audio breaks are particularly annoying for me because I use a wireless headset (current wife hates sports and the associated sounds) and the pops and cracks that precede a loss and return of the sound are amplified.

Because of the lack of concern on the part of station management, I can’t imagine any action that might fix the problem. That said, if someone out there has an idea, I’d be more than willing to participate in whatever might fix the problem.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,095 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 05 January 2006 - 09:09 AM

Last night watching the Rose Bowl via D*'s MPEG4 channel in Chicago there was a noticable audio 'studder' just a very short drop on audio. Switched over to the OTA feed and the NYC ABC HD feed and didn't hear the problems there. I hear the same type of audio studder on our local CBS MPEG4 feed. Guess D* still has some bugs to work out of their system.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#23 OFFLINE   maccur

maccur

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 10:06 AM

Lo and behold: I checked KTVU Fox HiDef channel this morning and for the first time since installation 2 weeks ago, the audio was synched up with the picture. Looks like some progress is being made!

#24 OFFLINE   dvdguyjt

dvdguyjt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 04:13 PM

Right now -- 2pm PT --- in SF bay area

None of the SF HD locals are up except for KNTV. KTVU, KPIX, and KGO all have the Directv slide stating that "This channel is not currently broadcasting."

KNTV is on, but it has a noticable audio stutter. I've noticed this stutter at various times on all of the SF HD locals, but it seems to go away and then re-appear.

Anyone else having this stutter? It was very apparent during the bowl game the other night on KGO.

I NEVER have these problems with the LA feeds..........

Hopefully, its just and MPEG-4 bug that they will work out.

JT

#25 OFFLINE   C*Tedesco

C*Tedesco

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:46 PM

Uh oh, just switched from Dish to DirectTV and this concerns me some. The main reason I'm moving is so I can get the HD locals. Hopefully by the time my install happens in two weeks, all this will be ironed out. So the H20 does have option for OTA antenna?

#26 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,095 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 09 January 2006 - 06:27 AM

So the H20 does have option for OTA antenna?

Yes, for ATSC only, no NTSC.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#27 OFFLINE   Gmoney19

Gmoney19

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:16 AM

New to board here. I have a bevy of D equipment ( couple of Hughes boxes, RCA D Tivo boxes, H10 & H20). I have been with D for about 10 years and love it. I had my 5 LNB and H20 installed a month ago. I'm having a horrible problem with the audio on the HD locals. I called Tech Support and they were unable to help, techs have been out twice and cannot seem to find anything wrong, D even switched out the box. Anyone else have a similiar problem?

The problem has improved. I have noticed fewer complete audio drops this week. But, they're still there. The larger problem at this point is the lack of audio / video sync. Of course, I have continued to converse with D* about it. To their credit, they admit there's a problem, but cannot offer a solutionn.

#28 OFFLINE   maccur

maccur

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 02:40 PM

At least for me, the synch issue has been eliminated having showed up only once in the past two weeks and correctable with a change of channel. My current issue, however, has to do with occasional bursts of pixelation on sections of screen. These bursts last for a few seconds and then are gone.

#29 OFFLINE   pjtech

pjtech

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:43 AM

After 2 weeks with the H20 sync is HORRIBLE. Saturday
Night Live was unwatcable and Jay Leno same thing. Seems
worse on local NBC. D* tried to blame it on my Stereo
System. What a joke.

#30 OFFLINE   pjtech

pjtech

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:45 AM

How do I check to see if I have v. 0F03 ??

#31 OFFLINE   syphix

syphix

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:15 AM

Menu button->Setup->Info & Test.

Scroll down.

Mine upgraded the day I got it, even prior to being authorized by D*.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...