Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Still waiting in LA

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hfhlt004

hfhlt004

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 02:06 PM

I still have the Directivo SD system after purchasing my new HDTV a few months ago. I wish I knew when the H20 DVR was coming out. I live in a condo in LA and do not want to go thru rewiring twice. I also strongly wish the installers knew what they were doing. I've called CS and even asked the installers driving the trucks. They seem to have no knowledge of H20 DVR or even about MPEG 4. I've also asked in CC stores. There seems to general confusion. They are still installing the H10-250 and the R15 around here.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   rboy177

rboy177

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 02:15 PM

hfhlt004,

I just upgraded my parents to HDTV, and would like to get the H20-DVR, but heard it was at least 6 months out from other people in the forum.

So for now we just got the H20 from Costco and ordered the 5LNB dish from D*.
It might be better to get the complete package from D* directly, there were going to charge me an extra $99 for just the dish.

The LA market MPEG4 just went live on 12/28, so not too many CSRs new about it back then..or they wouldn't upgrade me before that time since their computer didn't support it yet.

The install of the new dish will happen on Jan 13th..so we will see how it goes.
Will try to get them to run an extra line so I will be ready for the DVR in the future.

#3 OFFLINE   hfhlt004

hfhlt004

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 05:22 PM

Thanks, please let us know! Iwonder if an installer would place the new 5LNB dish and cables if I buy the H10-250? I don't want to wait another 6 monts to get Directv HDTV, but I don't want to be stuck with the 3LNB dish and cabling.

#4 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 07:11 PM

If you guys feel remotely comfortable, you might want to run the cables yourself and let the installer put the ends on. You might get alot more "mileage" out of these installers if they didn't have to run cable. It may be a part of there job, but I would imagine they would be alot happier not having to.

All of my cables are in place I ran years ago. Point being, you might want to find out how much extra they charge.

It would allow you to work anything else out of them if something else unexpected arose.

Just my two cents worth.
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#5 OFFLINE   rboy177

rboy177

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 03:45 PM

Thanks, please let us know! Iwonder if an installer would place the new 5LNB dish and cables if I buy the H10-250? I don't want to wait another 6 monts to get Directv HDTV, but I don't want to be stuck with the 3LNB dish and cabling.

Well the install date was last Friday. Since I was not home, I was hoping the install would just be a simple switch out of the old 3LNB for the 5LNB.
But I guess the Friday the 13th was bad luck.

The installer had some doubts of where the dish was being installed. The location could have line of sight issues. We have some large trees in the backyard. He was saying that there was no guarentee that we would get the signal, since all the "birds" where not lit up yet and they are supposed to just install with a 30 deg. window. I told him that the 4th bird was already live in my area, but he didn't seem to think so, and I didn't feel like arguing since I wasn't there in person.

To solve the line of sight issue, I asked him if we could install on the chimney, but he was concerned that the dish was failry large and the winds might cause a problem and there was another tree close by. (i think he just didn't want to drill into brick and climb on the roof and have to reroute some of the cables). We installed a FTA sat. dish on the chimney which is about 30", but probably not as heavy as the new dish. He said I would have to sign off the project if we installed on the chimney against their recommendation.

So I went ahead and just had them cancel the install and will try to take a look for myself and maybe trim some of the trees down. I can wait a couple of weeks to see if there is any new news and schedule an install when I can actually be there.

Oh well..not 5 LNB for now, will just try to get better signal strength from my OTA antenna.

#6 OFFLINE   thedonn

thedonn

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:56 PM

Im new but I just want to post my results to add to my post count. I live in Inglewood and after a few calls to direct tv installs over the weeks since Dec 26th, they finally gave me an install date. I had all of my troubles on the phone trying to setup the install but the install date and setup went perfectly after I got it. I had a similar issue way back on my first install about trees in my backyard. But what they did this time was just keep the same dish location and put the new on in front of my old one, pretty much blocking it. They guy said he can only install, not remove. And he ran the wires and cleaned up everything and I was good to go. Local channels look just as good coming thru direct tv as they do coming thru my attic antenna going thru the H20 antenna in. In my lineup I have standard locals, and 2 sets of HD locals, Dtv and Antenna. I had local channels before so you get the HD ones free as do HBO. Discovery and the rest of the HD channels look so good you will find yourself staring at the tv watching stuff all day long if you had time.
My installler company's invoice says connecttelevision.com

spam firewall