Welcome to DBSTalk
- Start new topics and reply to others
- Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
- Get your own profile page and make new friends
- Send personal messages to other members.
Still waiting in LA
Posted 31 December 2005 - 02:06 PM
Posted 31 December 2005 - 02:15 PM
I just upgraded my parents to HDTV, and would like to get the H20-DVR, but heard it was at least 6 months out from other people in the forum.
So for now we just got the H20 from Costco and ordered the 5LNB dish from D*.
It might be better to get the complete package from D* directly, there were going to charge me an extra $99 for just the dish.
The LA market MPEG4 just went live on 12/28, so not too many CSRs new about it back then..or they wouldn't upgrade me before that time since their computer didn't support it yet.
The install of the new dish will happen on Jan 13th..so we will see how it goes.
Will try to get them to run an extra line so I will be ready for the DVR in the future.
Posted 31 December 2005 - 05:22 PM
Posted 31 December 2005 - 07:11 PM
All of my cables are in place I ran years ago. Point being, you might want to find out how much extra they charge.
It would allow you to work anything else out of them if something else unexpected arose.
Just my two cents worth.
AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105
Posted 15 January 2006 - 03:45 PM
Thanks, please let us know! Iwonder if an installer would place the new 5LNB dish and cables if I buy the H10-250? I don't want to wait another 6 monts to get Directv HDTV, but I don't want to be stuck with the 3LNB dish and cabling.
Well the install date was last Friday. Since I was not home, I was hoping the install would just be a simple switch out of the old 3LNB for the 5LNB.
But I guess the Friday the 13th was bad luck.
The installer had some doubts of where the dish was being installed. The location could have line of sight issues. We have some large trees in the backyard. He was saying that there was no guarentee that we would get the signal, since all the "birds" where not lit up yet and they are supposed to just install with a 30 deg. window. I told him that the 4th bird was already live in my area, but he didn't seem to think so, and I didn't feel like arguing since I wasn't there in person.
To solve the line of sight issue, I asked him if we could install on the chimney, but he was concerned that the dish was failry large and the winds might cause a problem and there was another tree close by. (i think he just didn't want to drill into brick and climb on the roof and have to reroute some of the cables). We installed a FTA sat. dish on the chimney which is about 30", but probably not as heavy as the new dish. He said I would have to sign off the project if we installed on the chimney against their recommendation.
So I went ahead and just had them cancel the install and will try to take a look for myself and maybe trim some of the trees down. I can wait a couple of weeks to see if there is any new news and schedule an install when I can actually be there.
Oh well..not 5 LNB for now, will just try to get better signal strength from my OTA antenna.
Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:56 PM
My installler company's invoice says connecttelevision.com