Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

3 LNB Terk S23 Dish

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sdlehman

sdlehman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 03:20 PM

I have a 3 LNB Terk S23 dish that I put up a few years ago. I have it connected to 3 DirecTV receivers, 1 high definition and 2 standard. Recently I have noticed poor reception, pixelization, dropouts, and no reception on some channels on my HD receiver. Mostly it has been SciFi, Discovery, The Science Channel and I can't get FX at all at the moment. I assumed if I was having a problem on the HD receiver that I was having the same problem on all receivers. Well, I spent most of the afternoon on a ladder yesterday re-aiming my dish. When I was done I still had the same problem on my HD receiver. So, I went upstairs to tell my wife the bad news about some channels not working and noticed she was watching FX! What is going on with my system?

Stace

#2 OFFLINE   sdlehman

sdlehman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 10:07 AM

Does no one have any thoughts? Could it be my receiver?:confused:

#3 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 10:47 AM

That dish has 4 outputs right? It sounds like you should have ane xtra output from the dish. Move the connection that feeds your HD receiver to the unused output on your 3-LNB. Also I would check the connectors on that run. Sometimes corrosion might occur on the inside of the F connector or the center conductor. If you have the tools, replace the F connectors.

Do you have consistant signal strenghts accross all the satellites (A,B,and C) and all receivers?
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#4 OFFLINE   sdlehman

sdlehman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:34 PM

That dish has 4 outputs right? It sounds like you should have ane xtra output from the dish. Move the connection that feeds your HD receiver to the unused output on your 3-LNB. Also I would check the connectors on that run. Sometimes corrosion might occur on the inside of the F connector or the center conductor. If you have the tools, replace the F connectors.

Do you have consistant signal strenghts accross all the satellites (A,B,and C) and all receivers?

Yes, it has 4 outputs. I'll try the extra one and check for corrosion. I don't think I can check for Sat C on the standard definition receivers can I? I'll check just in case.

Thank you very much for the suggestions. :)

Stace

#5 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:46 PM

Yes, it has 4 outputs. I'll try the extra one and check for corrosion. I don't think I can check for Sat C on the standard definition receivers can I? I'll check just in case.

Thank you very much for the suggestions. :)

Stace

SAT C is at 110 degree. I have several SD receivers and have signal for SAT C. I installed my current 3-LNB in 2/05 w/ no leaves on trees, come spring I lost 1/2 of my HD channels. I had to move the dish 10 to the left because of the leaves.
I'm not sure, but there are folks on this forum and AVSforum.com that may be able to tell you (or point you in the right direction) which SAT's and transponders broadcast which channels. I don't know if that will help you or not.

Let us know what happens.

AT9 to SWM16

#6 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 01:02 PM

As I think think about I don't think that last bit of info. is going to help in this situation.

One thing you could do of course is switch out receivers. You won't have HD capabilities but it tell you if your HD receiver is going bad.

AT9 to SWM16

#7 OFFLINE   sdlehman

sdlehman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 01:07 PM

One of my standard receivers is able to get a strong signal from Sat C so maybe I do have a bad connection on my HD receiver. Can't check right now because it's raining.

Stace

#8 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 02:51 PM

One of my standard receivers is able to get a strong signal from Sat C so maybe I do have a bad connection on my HD receiver. Can't check right now because it's raining.

Stace

What's the deal?:)

AT9 to SWM16

#9 OFFLINE   scrannel

scrannel

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 10:16 AM

A year ago I had a similar problem on my HD receiver (all OK on my SD receivers). Finally I called Terk and they sent me a new set of LNBs (a swap basis) and that fixed it.

#10 OFFLINE   fertree

fertree

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 11:17 AM

Did you try switching the coax cables at the dish? If there's a bad cable or connector the problem will move from one receiver to the other.

#11 OFFLINE   sdlehman

sdlehman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 12:13 PM

I finally was able to get back up on the ladder yesterday and tried switching the cables. No help. Either my Sat C LNB is bad or my HD receiver is bad. DirecTV coming out this Friday to install HD DVR and new dish. I will post when I find out if that solves the problem with the old HD receiver.

Stace

#12 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 12:29 PM

I finally was able to get back up on the ladder yesterday and tried switching the cables. No help. Either my Sat C LNB is bad or my HD receiver is bad. DirecTV coming out this Friday to install HD DVR and new dish. I will post when I find out if that solves the problem with the old HD receiver.

Stace

Hope all works out.

AT9 to SWM16

#13 OFFLINE   jdknocks

jdknocks

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:55 AM

I had a similar problem with my HR10-250. Sat B would say Rt side not detected and i had a loss of channels. After hours of messing around and phone calls to D* I decied to buy a new LNB. Well turns out it was just a very minor adjustment on the dish that was needed. I did find out that all (or most) of the transponders should come in at a minimum of 50 or better. The minute I wanted 80+ I'd lose reception on some channels. Anyway, I have a new LNB if you need it!

#14 OFFLINE   sdlehman

sdlehman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:27 PM

Well I had my HR-10 250 installed today and it working flawlessly. I did find out though that my Hughes HD receiver was the culpret and not the dish or splitter. Now I have to convince D* that I need to have them replace my broken HD receiver at no charge and everything will be good.

Stace

spam firewall