Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

D* to remove Lexington local WLJC 65

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Wayne

Wayne

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 04:27 PM

WLJC 65 is a Lexington, Ky local station broadcasting out of Beattyville, Ky. They are part time TBN and part time local gospel programming. According to their website (www.wljc.com) D* is going to remove them due to lack of space. Can they do this? To my understanding this is a full power station that is sending a good signal to D* and therefore would be a must carry channel under the law. I know channels submit a must carry request and I would believe they did or D* would never had put them up to begin with. CSR's at D* didn't know anything about it. This channel is still being carried by E*.

Any possible reasons how D* can remove them legally?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   GeorgeLV

GeorgeLV

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 04:30 PM

They did not qualify or did not elect must-carry status. Otherwise they'd have to drop all of Lexington. Like most tv ministers, they're probably lying.

#3 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,928 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 01 January 2006 - 06:03 PM

Since D* already carries a full time TBN station, they probably decided it wasn't worth the bandwith to continue to carry a local one, even though in this case it's just a part time TBN Station.

On a side note, I wonder if they'll drop WGTW/48 in Philly, or will they continue to carry it since it probably got must carry status long before they became a full time TBN Station in late 2004.

#4 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 06:25 PM

KyL416,

Whether DirecTV decides they like the station or not is irrelevant. There is a "Must Carry" law that states if they carry one local channel in Lexington, they MUST CARRY all the channels in the Lexington TV market under the law. (See http://ekb.dbstalk.com/20 for details on this law). The law is in place to prevent cable and satellite companies from cherry picking channels and leaving the smaller independent stations out in the cold.

My guess is that the station did not file for "must carry" during the election period ended a few months ago for the Jan 1, 2006-Dec 31, 2008 cycle. If a station forgets to file in time, the satellite co or cable co does NOT have to carry the channel. They can still carry it under "Retransmission Consent". But they do not have to.

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#5 OFFLINE   Wayne

Wayne

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 07:27 PM

My guess is that the station did not file for "must carry" during the election period ended a few months ago for the Jan 1, 2006-Dec 31, 2008 cycle. If a station forgets to file in time, the satellite co or cable co does NOT have to carry the channel. They can still carry it under "Retransmission Consent". But they do not have to.

See ya
Tony

Thanks Tony! It looks like they will have to wait until the next cycle to be carried or if D* decides to kept it out of their own kindness or if enough D* subscribers in the Lexington market cancel to make a difference.

I would hope other small stations will take this as a lesson and make sure they have completed the proper paper work with all providers.

#6 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 10:38 AM

KyL416,

Whether DirecTV decides they like the station or not is irrelevant. There is a "Must Carry" law that states if they carry one local channel in Lexington, they MUST CARRY all the channels in the Lexington TV market under the law. (See http://ekb.dbstalk.com/20 for details on this law). The law is in place to prevent cable and satellite companies from cherry picking channels and leaving the smaller independent stations out in the cold.

But it is not simply an "all or nothing" proposition. All the regulation means is that the DBS companies must accept all must carry requests from any station in a market where it offers local channels. If a station doesn't elect must carry, which is guaranteed carriage but with no compensation to the broadcaster, they are free to pursue retransmission consent, which normally involves payment to the broadcaster or other considerations (such as the carriage of other channels owned by the broadcaster') for the right to carry the station. In most cases, station management woulld prefer the compensation of retransmission consent.

#7 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 03:34 PM

Ummm.... did you read the link on the post quoted? :)

You are correct. As stated in the link provided, If a station asks for ANYTHING, it automatically waives the right to must carry status for that election period. So at that point DirecTV doesn't have to carry them. They don't have to deal with them. They can ignore the station. However, "There is not enough room on the satellite" is not a valid reason to remove a channel. If the station failed to ask for must carry, or if it asked for retransmission consent, THEN DirecTV can remove them, but not because "there isn't enough space".

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"TV Market Maps"

#8 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 01:20 AM

Ummm.... did you read the link on the post quoted?

Yes, I did, as well as a few other web pages I found by Googling "retransmission consent". I also am familiar with the concepts of must carry and retransmission consent, having worked at both television stations and cable companies during a large part of the last 16 years.

You are correct. As stated in the link provided, If a station asks for ANYTHING, it automatically waives the right to must carry status for that election period. So at that point DirecTV doesn't have to carry them. They don't have to deal with them. They can ignore the station.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that D* can ignore a station that forfeits must carry status. It means they have to enter negotiations with them. This doesn't mean they have to be successful negotiations, just that they have to occur.

However, "There is not enough room on the satellite" is not a valid reason to remove a channel. If the station failed to ask for must carry, or if it asked for retransmission consent, THEN DirecTV can remove them, but not because "there isn't enough space".

I don't remember ever saying anything like that. Where did you get that idea from?

Newshawk

#9 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 02:07 AM

As was said in "Cool Hand Luke": What we have here is falure to communicate.

As to ignoring a station:
My point was if a station says "we want a glass of water" before asking for "Must Carry". DirecTV can ignore the station. They don't have to. But they can.

The statuion in asking for a glass of water has waived its right to "must carry" status. Once the station does this, it cannot change its mind until the next election cycle. They can try to negotiate with DirecTV, but if DirecTV doesn't want the station, they can ignore the station for the duration of the election period.

As to "Not enough space":
Please read the first post in this thread. This is the reason given by DirecTV which promped my first response in the thread.

As to "have you read the link":
What I meant was that when you brought up was covered in the text of the page linked. You were writing a redundant statement repeating information available on that page which was redundant. :)

See ya
Tony

"Dish Channel Chart"
"TV Market Maps"

#10 OFFLINE   N5XZS

N5XZS

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:54 AM

Same thing happen to Albuquerque TV market too.....

We lost KENW-TV "PBS" out of Portales, New Mexico on Directv, and this station programings is different from KNME-TV and KNMD-DT in Albuquerque.:(

As a former student of ENMU like to see what is going on in the local news Portales and Clovis.

This station is about 250 + or - miles from Albuquerque and still in it's own DMA areas.
"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper....

#11 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 01:20 PM

I lost 3 DirecTV local channels on 1/1/06 !!!! They were not watched much by me but losing ANY local channels is not good.

Bobman

#12 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,928 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 03 January 2006 - 03:07 PM

Which locals did you lose?

#13 OFFLINE   jcd

jcd

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 03:14 PM

I understand there were 14 stations nationwide pulled from Directv as of 1/1/06, does anyone know this for sure or which ones they were?

#14 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,928 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 04 January 2006 - 03:31 PM

Now the number is up to 15, if anyone else is missing any, please let me know:

(1) New York:
WMBC/63 West Caldwell, NJ

(4) Philadelphia:
WLVT/39 Bethlehem, PA (PBS)
WMCN/53 Atlantic City, NJ
WWSI/62 Atlantic City, NJ (Telemundo)

(5) Boston:
WWDP/46 Norwell, MA

(7) Dallas/Ft. Worth:
KDTN/2 Denton, TX

(18) Denver:
KWHD/53 Castle Rock, CO

(36) Salt Lake City
KTMW/20 Salt Lake City, UT (FamilyNET)

(46) Albuquerque/Santa Fe:
KENW/3 Portales, NM (PBS)

(56) Fresno/Visalia:
KGMC/43 Clovis, CA

(63) Lexington:
WBLU/62 Lexington, KY
WLJC/65 Beattyville, KY

(91) Tri-Cities TN-VA:
WLFG/68 Grundy, VA

(118) Fargo/Valley City:
KCPM/27 Grand Forks, ND (UPN)

(182) Greenville-Spartanburg, SC-Asheville, NC:
WGGS/16 Greenville, SC

There also might be the three stations in whatever market Bobman lives in as well, if it isn't already listed here.

#15 OFFLINE   juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 03:46 PM

As was said in "Cool Hand Luke": What we have here is falure to communicate.

As to ignoring a station:
My point was if a station says "we want a glass of water" before asking for "Must Carry". DirecTV can ignore the station. They don't have to. But they can.

The statuion in asking for a glass of water has waived its right to "must carry" status. Once the station does this, it cannot change its mind until the next election cycle. They can try to negotiate with DirecTV, but if DirecTV doesn't want the station, they can ignore the station for the duration of the election period.

As to "Not enough space":
Please read the first post in this thread. This is the reason given by DirecTV which promped my first response in the thread.

As to "have you read the link":
What I meant was that when you brought up was covered in the text of the page linked. You were writing a redundant statement repeating information available on that page which was redundant. :)

See ya
Tony

I wanna know how they were able to drop WLVT an Allentown PBS affliate in the philly dma

#16 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,928 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 04 January 2006 - 03:50 PM

That sucks about WLVT, it actually had some kind of importance to the Allentown/Lehigh Valley area with some of the community shows they have. Now all that region has is just WFMZ for news and issues that apply to them. Everything else is just Philadelphia, and New Jersey with NJN.

#17 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:44 PM

Dish just dropped the FamilyNet affiliate in Salt Lake City. So DirecTV isn't alone in this. :)

See ya
Tony

"Dish Channel Chart"
"TV Market Maps"

#18 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,928 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 05 January 2006 - 10:16 AM

I just checked online, and D* dropped it as well.

*edits list*

#19 OFFLINE   LMckin

LMckin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 02:21 PM

I`ve lost WGGS TV 16 ind Local in the Greenville-Spartanburg Market on 1/1/06 since that station missed the elect deadline.

here is an copy of the email i`ve received from Directv

Thank you for writing. I understand how important this channel to you. Although we are required to carry all stations in any local market in which we carry at least one local station, there are exceptions to this rule: stations must “elect” or ask to carried in our local channel package and they must also meet certain minimum technical requirements. I do apologize however WGGS didn't request to be carried by the deadline established by law. Due to this DIRECTV no longer has the legal right to carry this station after January 1, 2006. You maybe able to pick this station up by using a antenna connected to your television. After the deadline, the station expressed an interest in continued carriage, but we do not have plans to do so. I have forwarded your request to DIRECTV management.

Once again thank you for writing. We appreciate your time and your business. I hope the information I have provided has been helpful. Stay tuned to DIRECTV.com for the latest news and information about our services.

Sincerely,

DIRECTV Customer Service

#20 OFFLINE   rnbmusicfan

rnbmusicfan

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 06:09 PM

Yes, I did, as well as a few other web pages I found by Googling "retransmission consent". I also am familiar with the concepts of must carry and retransmission consent, having worked at both television stations and cable companies during a large part of the last 16 years.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that D* can ignore a station that forfeits must carry status. It means they have to enter negotiations with them. This doesn't mean they have to be successful negotiations, just that they have to occur.

DirecTV already has done this. They have dropped certain stations with assumption of no must carry apply anymore. Even though it's really a lack of communication(delivery of letter) or issue of that at place.

Hence, Negotiations do not have to occur.

DirecTV's response has been they do not have any obligation to continue carriage of stations, those which fail to submit Directv a letter regarding "Mandatory Carriage Election" by October 1st, 2005.

Now, if these dropped stations had a request confirmation, tracking #, or if they did Certified Mail for their letter and sent it prior to that date, they should have no problems in disputing DirecTV claims of not receiving it.

I know with cable, it's a little different. A station that was once mustcarry, rolls over its mustcarry, practically, unless they want to negotiate to retransmission in the next cycle.

Cable has lot of local pressure, and heated bad PR by dropping local channels or consideration of it, where DirecTV can avoid their local presence by being in El Segundo.

Really at hand, DirecTV doesn't see value in any of the marginal stations. Whether it's duplication to another local signal, duplication to a national signal, or bad programming.

A WB or UPN affiliate, or primary PBS, wouldn't have been dropped, even if station in question didn't have mustcarry paperwork submitted promptly.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...