Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

OK, This is Stupid I'm sure, but I need help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 11:40 PM

To start, just let me say I've searched the forum, but I'm very confused now. I'm trying to add the 61.5 location so I can get Voom. I have a DPP 500 for 119 and 110 and I am running 2 942's. I had an old DirecTV Dish laying around (that I use for tailgating) that has 2 line coming out. I connected the Direct TV dish directly to 1 of the 942s (with only 1 of the cables) and found 61.5 with no trouble. I then tried connecting the same cable to the input on the DPP 500 and I can't get either of the 942s to recognize it. What am I doing wrong? Do I need a switch or a different LNB or something? Thanks in advance for helping a novice out!

Brian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   chaddux

chaddux

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 989 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 11:52 PM

To start, just let me say I've searched the forum, but I'm very confused now. I'm trying to add the 61.5 location so I can get Voom. I have a DPP 500 for 119 and 110 and I am running 2 942's. I had an old DirecTV Dish laying around (that I use for tailgating) that has 2 line coming out. I connected the Direct TV dish directly to 1 of the 942s (with only 1 of the cables) and found 61.5 with no trouble. I then tried connecting the same cable to the input on the DPP 500 and I can't get either of the 942s to recognize it. What am I doing wrong? Do I need a switch or a different LNB or something? Thanks in advance for helping a novice out!

Brian

I've never heard of a DPP 500. There is a dish known as the DISH 500 and a switch known as DPP44.
Chad

"The problem with the gene pool is that there aren't enough lifeguards." - Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources

#3 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:00 AM

OK, I'm sure I called it the wrong thing - Sorry. It is a Dish 500 and it says DP Plus on it.

#4 OFFLINE   chaddux

chaddux

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 989 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:01 AM

It says DP Plus on it.

I assume you mean it's on the LNB.

I connected the Direct TV dish directly to 1 of the 942s (with only 1 of the cables) and found 61.5 with no trouble. I then tried connecting the same cable to the input on the DPP 500 and I can't get either of the 942s to recognize it.

If I read that right, it sounds like you plugged the 61.5 dish into the DISH 500. That definitely won't work. I think that you need a switch for a three-satellite installation but I'm not sure.
Chad

"The problem with the gene pool is that there aren't enough lifeguards." - Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources

#5 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:08 AM

Yes, it says DP Plus on the LNB of the Dish 500. But I thought that the 3rd connection on the Dish 500 was for an imput from another satellite? I may be totally wrong here, but this was my understanding. Anyone else have any ideas?

#6 OFFLINE   chaddux

chaddux

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 989 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:11 AM

Yes, it says DP Plus on the LNB of the Dish 500. But I thought that the 3rd connection on the Dish 500 was for an imput from another satellite? I may be totally wrong here, but this was my understanding. Anyone else have any ideas?

There's a third connection on a DISH500? This is why I don't usually get involved in these installation questions. I always get the quad, twin, dual, legacy, etc stuff all mixed up. Better wait for one of the experts to help you.
Chad

#7 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:12 AM

Not a problem at all. Thanks anyway chaddux! Anyone else?

#8 OFFLINE   chaddux

chaddux

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 989 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:15 AM

Not a problem at all. Thanks anyway chaddux! Anyone else?

I think this might be the information you need:

http://www.sadoun.co...NBF/dpptwin.pdf

Two key things I see in that document (if it is the right one for your problem):

"A third port labeled LNB IN supports reception of a third orbital location delivered from a DISH Pro compatible LNBF."

"DP Plus dual-tuner receivers require a software download to complete the installation. A special download procedure is included in the user guide."

I'm not sure if your DIRECTV dish is "DISH Pro compatible" but I'm pretty sure the 942 is a DP Plus dual-tuner receiver.
Chad

#9 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:21 AM

Yeah, I bet you are right, I guess the LNBF isn't DISH Pro compatible. Crap, that stinks. I guess I'll have to buy another dish/LNBF to make this work

#10 OFFLINE   chaddux

chaddux

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 989 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:23 AM

Yeah, I bet you are right, I guess the LNBF isn't DISH Pro compatible. Crap, that stinks. I guess I'll have to buy another dish/LNBF to make this work

That would be my guess but remember what I said. Wait for one of the experts to confirm before you start tearing things apart or buying more equipment. :)
Chad

#11 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:28 AM

Haha, OK, thanks!

#12 OFFLINE   greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 07:07 AM

There's a third connection on a DISH500? This is why I don't usually get involved in these installation questions. I always get the quad, twin, dual, legacy, etc stuff all mixed up. Better wait for one of the experts to help you.

You folks puzzled it out exactly right. The D* LNB is not compatible with DishPro Plus technology. All you need is a DishPro Dual LNB, run one line from that into the input on the DPP Twin, and you'll be good to go. I'm not sure if a DishPro Dual will fit on a D* 18" Dish, but I'm sure the forum's sponsor can help you.

#13 OFFLINE   JohnL

JohnL

Icon

• Registered
  • 701 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 11:40 AM

You folks puzzled it out exactly right. The D* LNB is not compatible with DishPro Plus technology. All you need is a DishPro Dual LNB, run one line from that into the input on the DPP Twin, and you'll be good to go. I'm not sure if a DishPro Dual will fit on a D* 18" Dish, but I'm sure the forum's sponsor can help you.

Greatwhitenorth,

You can squeeze a Dish LNBF onto a DirecTV Dish but it will NOT fit correctly as Dish LNBFs using a "D" tube and the DirecTV LNBFs fit on a Square Tube.

If you do connect a Dish LNBF to the DirecTV square tube your LNBF's cable connections will be exposed to the weather.

John

#14 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:25 PM

Gottcha - Thanks everyone!

#15 OFFLINE   greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:46 PM

Greatwhitenorth,

You can squeeze a Dish LNBF onto a DirecTV Dish but it will NOT fit correctly as Dish LNBFs using a "D" tube and the DirecTV LNBFs fit on a Square Tube.

If you do connect a Dish LNBF to the DirecTV square tube your LNBF's cable connections will be exposed to the weather.

John

Thanks for the knowledge!

spam firewall