Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sky Sports News and BBC World Coming 2006?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
95 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   UKintheUS

UKintheUS

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 01:07 PM

This is a letter i got back from DirecTV today

Dear Mr. Marsh,

Thanks for writing. I'm sorry, but we don't carry Sky Sports News and BBC World right now. We are hoping these channels may be broadcast through DIRECTV sometime in 2006. We often add programming based on customer requests, and I have forwarded your request to DIRECTV management.

Thanks again for writing and please stay tuned to DIRECTV.com for the latest news and information about our service.

Sincerely,

Jamia
DIRECTV Customer Service

Its not normal for them to say we hope to have in 2006. They normaly say we do not carry and we will just pass it on.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   UKintheUS

UKintheUS

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 02:39 PM

So far then we are hearing of

DirecTV Channel
BBC World Channel
Sky Sports News Channel

Coming Soon!

#3 OFFLINE   PBowie

PBowie

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 02:44 PM

Ive been thinking of swapping from Dish to Direct tv
as Direct Tv has Setanta US Soccer channel on PPV that Dish dont have
If direct Tv will be getting more Brit channels etc I'll definatly be swapping !

Only trouble is, Direct TV dont have Eastenders ... :-(

everytime I send Dish a request I get the usual, no info but will pass it along BS

DirecTV Channel
BBC World Channel
Sky Sports News Channel

Coming Soon!

#4 OFFLINE   ravinpat

ravinpat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 12:34 PM

What about Sky Sports One?

#5 OFFLINE   UKintheUS

UKintheUS

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 02:23 PM

What about Sky Sports One?

The Chances of getting Sky Sports 1,2,3, or xtra are very slim. Most of the Sports they show are Split around the Fox Sports Networks, ESPN and Setanta.

Unless they Bring out a Sky Sports that shows all the Sports that are not shown here, PDA Darts, WDC Darts, Snooker, English Rules Pool League, Table Tennis, Cricket, Squash, Rally Car and Speed Bikes.

#6 OFFLINE   mya23rd

mya23rd

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:16 AM

DirecTV Channel
BBC World Channel
Sky Sports News Channel

Coming Soon!

I wouldn't hold my breath. I think for sure DTV will be adding more British channels, especially since DTV and BSkyB are Murdoch operations. I'm surprised there haven't been many more channels already added but I guess its taking a while. I can see Sky Sports and some of those channels but I don't understand why they would add BBC World, doesn't it make more sense that they would add SkyNews? I mean I would love to have BBC World but aren't they sort of a competitor to SkyNews which is a part of Murdoch's Newscorp?

#7 OFFLINE   UKintheUS

UKintheUS

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 01:23 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath. I think for sure DTV will be adding more British channels, especially since DTV and BSkyB are Murdoch operations. I'm surprised there haven't been many more channels already added but I guess its taking a while. I can see Sky Sports and some of those channels but I don't understand why they would add BBC World, doesn't it make more sense that they would add SkyNews? I mean I would love to have BBC World but aren't they sort of a competitor to SkyNews which is a part of Murdoch's Newscorp?

The BBC World Channel in the US is to be co run by Discovery Networks. Sky News was to launch in the US, but Fox went Crying to Murdoch feeling that Sky would impact on Fox News Channels ratings. So it was put on hold.

#8 OFFLINE   Punkitup

Punkitup

AllStar/Supporter

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 10:23 PM

Only trouble is, Direct TV dont have Eastenders ... :-(

I understand that Murdoch is planning to launch a new satellite the sole purpose of which will be to beam to the continental U.S. every episode of Coronation Street ever filmed over the last 46-years.

All right, just taking the mickey!

All in best humor.
Peace
James – K1JMD

#9 OFFLINE   BarryS14

BarryS14

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:01 AM

My take is BBC World US will most likely launch on DirecTV sometime in '06. DirecTV needs a International news channel since they drop NewsWorld.

As far as Sky News, One would think it should be on now since it's a sister station of Fox News, but as everyone knows, Fox News didn't want Sky news on DirecTV from the very beginning.

One thing that would make Sky News valuable for DirecTV is Sky News can use it's "Active" service with DirecTV enabled receivers. I know DirecTV is trying to get both Sky and DirecTV receivers on the same page with NDS receiver software. If both DirecTV and Sky can get the "Active" service going for Sky News on DirecTV and have Fox News start their "Active" service for both DirecTV and Sky viewers, then I can see Sky News coming within the next year or so.

As far as the Sky Sports Channels, I would say, if at all possible, only Sky Sports 1 & 2 would come to DirecTV. Sky Sports 3 & Xtra have the niche sports we see here in the US and would be Blacked out 90% percent of the time. The Sky Sports Networks could do something like what Setanta sports has done, establish a US entity, then buy programming from big brother of the sports you would like to cover. It seems very easy but it's not.

You're probably thinking well, isn't Fox Soccer Channel a sister station for Sky Sports? Well, yes and no. Fox Soccer Channel and Sky Sports are part of the News Corp family but Fox Soccer Channel falls under the Fox Sports World International group which Sky Sports doesn't. That means the Fox Sports World International group buys programming for Fox Soccer Channel. It buys the 1 hour segment of Sky Sports News from Sky Sports. Sky Sports has it's own seperate entity.

The next problem to launch Sky Sports 1 & 2 is programming rights. Right now, Setanta Sports has programming rights from Sky Sports to show the following:

Soccer
Coca Cola Championship
Carling Cup
Scottish FA Cup

Rugby
Guinness Premiership
Heineken Cup
British & Irish Lions Tour
International Rugby
Currie Cup
Tri-Nations Rugby
Six Nations
Super 12s/Super 14s

Fox Soccer Channel has the following rights from both Sky Sports and the Football Association of England:

Soccer
Barclays English Premier League
The FA Cup
1 Hour Segment - Sky Sports News

ESPN has the following rights:

Soccer
UEFA Champions League

Dish Network has the following rights from the English and Wales Cricket Board:

Cricket
England Cricket Home tours for 2006 through 2009

DISH Network may also offer over the next four years:

England Senior Women International Matches (both one-day internationals and test matches) and Under 19 England and Women International Matches played in England and Wales.
Twenty/20 County Cup matches.
National Cricket League County matches.
C&G Trophy County matches.

The Cricket rights, to me, is the dagger of not launching Sky Sports in the US. Since Sky Sports coverage of Cricket dominates most of the UK summer viewing, Sky Sports US would be blacked out most of the summer since Dish Network has the rights. To my dismay, I was shocked DirecTV was not able to renew those rights.

Lastly, Sky Sports News would have to be a Newscorp and Sky Sports decision to spend money on launching a Sports News service without it's 2 main channels.

The times I 've been to London, I do enjoy watching Sky News and Sky Sports. The only questions reamins is will Newscorp spend money on launching and buying sports rights for Sky News and Sky Sports? We shall see in the months to come......

#10 OFFLINE   sorahl

sorahl

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 08:38 PM

I don't want a BBC news channel I want BBC Prime or BBC 1,2,3, or 4!!!! BBC America can't compare!
DirecTV HR21-100
DirecTV HR20-700 x2
DirecTV Tivo (Hughes SD40) 35 hrs (disconnected)
DirecTV Tivo (DirecTV R10) 70 hrs
DirecTV Tivo (Samsung SIR40) 35 hrs (disconnected)
XM SkyFi (disco'd) XM SkyFi2, BoomBox, PCR, Honda Unit, RoadyXT

#11 OFFLINE   oldcrooner

oldcrooner

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:14 PM

Today I spoke to a BBC media sales representative that I know and he assured me that BBC World channel is "coming soon" to Directv and Dish Network. It was a quick conversation and he didn't offer an exact time as to when it would begin. I may have more on this later. BBC World sent me the following email today also:

"Hello and thanks for your email.

We have just signed an agreement with Discovery Communications whereby they are acting as our distribution partner for the US market and so any cable or satellite operator who wants to carry BBC World and offer it to their subscribers can now do so. So please do get in touch with your local provider(s) and register with them that you want to see BBC World. It is a case of supply and demand, especially in such a developed market as the USA where most platforms are already at full capacity - so this is only a start and it needs an effort to both push from the broadcaster and pull from the viewer!

Again, thank you for your support and your interest, and let's hope that your provider might be one of the first to take up the opportunity of offering BBC World.

With regards

Mario Giannini
BBC World"

#12 OFFLINE   vectorite

vectorite

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:09 PM

Couldn't resist replying to this thread!

I really miss ITV news from NWI, I don't see why Murdoch couldn't show Sky News on DTV at least we would have some hope after all Fox News is in bSkyb. When I find it again I'll post phone number which will get an instant answer from tier 2 csr's and you all can call and pester them

#13 OFFLINE   UKintheUS

UKintheUS

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 06:36 AM

I don't want a BBC news channel I want BBC Prime or BBC 1,2,3, or 4!!!! BBC America can't compare!

Ah yes but BBC Prime (Europe as it used to be) Is Only in Europe and middle east.
And if you want BBC,1,2,3,4 You got to move to Britain.

#14 OFFLINE   UKintheUS

UKintheUS

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 03:32 PM

Just incase anyone wants to know. From Wikipedia:

BBC News is the largest broadcast news gathering operation in the world and it produces almost 160 hours of news output every hour. BBC News provides its services to BBC domestic radio as well as television networks such as BBC News 24, BBC Parliament, BBC World, BBCi, Ceefax and BBC News Online. New BBC News services that are also proving popular are mobile services to mobile phones and PDAs. Desktop news alerts, e-mail alerts, and digital TV alerts are also available.

#15 OFFLINE   sorahl

sorahl

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 05:09 PM

I keep trying to tell my wife that but as a full blooded yank she won't hear of it!!!

Ah yes but BBC Prime (Europe as it used to be) Is Only in Europe and middle east.

DirecTV HR21-100
DirecTV HR20-700 x2
DirecTV Tivo (Hughes SD40) 35 hrs (disconnected)
DirecTV Tivo (DirecTV R10) 70 hrs
DirecTV Tivo (Samsung SIR40) 35 hrs (disconnected)
XM SkyFi (disco'd) XM SkyFi2, BoomBox, PCR, Honda Unit, RoadyXT

#16 OFFLINE   Marcyjok

Marcyjok

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 01:29 PM

UKintheUS
get yourself a Slingbox and send it to UK , in this way you can watch UK tv in USA in legal way....

do a Google search about Slingbox
----------------------------------------------
:D 811HDTV , :D DP 7200, :DDreambox 7000S

#17 OFFLINE   NVBlue

NVBlue

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:11 PM

NO... That is there canned answer. You should write them to request stations. Then they reply that it is not on now and may be added later on in the year and it will be forwarded to their programming group.
If you want a station email them and you'll get the canned response but maybe someone will be listening.
Good luck.

#18 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 04:27 PM

I'm posting this as a separate thread for football fans:

If you're a soccer fan in the U.S. --

-- you know why I didn't title this "HD football should be available for next season". In any case, we need to keep the pressure up on Fox and Setanta. I wouldn't count on any easy transition.

I saw the news notes, this morning, about Sky beginning shipments of their HD box in the UK in May. Seven channels of HD coming and you know a chunk will be football. UK members of the AVS forum are already hot into discussions about pricing, etc..

This afternoon, saw my first commercial for Sky HD. Halftime while watching Championship League football: Burnley 2 -- 0 Norwich City final. This was on Setanta. So, they're rolling.

I sent an immediate email to Steven and Nick at Fox Football Friday with a cc to Nick Webster. And another email to Setanta -- who've previously said, "if it's available, we'll show it!" But, I don't know where they're at for hardware.

Anyway, push, push, push. The EPL and the Championship in HD would be a great follow-on to the World Cup HD coverage. Sounds like Germany plans to be rocking by next season as well.

btw -- Sky prices look worse than D*.

#19 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 11:52 AM

I had an exchange of Email with Direct TV this week and it didn't sound very hopeful. I wrote to them urging them to add BBC World because of the loss of International News upon the death of Newsworld International.

I just got the standard thank you for your response email...

"Thanks for your email. I'm sorry but we do not carry BBC World channel right now. I understand your concerns about Newsworld International's format change to Current TV and would like to assure you that you can still find programming on DIRECTV that offers the kind of international perspective you are looking for. Link TV on channel 375 offers a global perspective on world events and cultures through independent documentaries, international films, world music and live interactive programs from around the world. In addition, BBC America (channel 264) airs BBC News several times each day.
We appreciate your feedback about our programming, thanks again for writing"

This is a letter i got back from DirecTV today

Its not normal for them to say we hope to have in 2006. They normaly say we do not carry and we will just pass it on.

#20 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:37 PM

That's just cruel that they deprive us of Real BBC stations. I guess there are probably too many legal issues to get them in the states. I'd love to watch BBC programs when they come out not a year later.
1 R15's and 2 HR20-100

spam firewall