Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CES Press Release on D* Plus HD DVR

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:02 PM

Nice... Other forums are reporting the HR20 has a built in RJ-45 Ethernet port

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jsnell

jsnell

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 09:50 PM

yes, it's got built-in Ethernet and USB 2 as well.

#23 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:04 PM

Has DTV said anything about Ethernet/RJ45 or is this just from the prototype at CES? Remember an RJ45 would probably be nice developing and refining the prototype but doesn't mean the production model will have one.

#24 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 576 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 07 January 2006 - 04:18 PM

Check out this site.
http://gear.ign.com/...9/679224p1.html

#25 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 05:00 PM

This is what has already been posted. Notice the HDMI "INPUT", component INPUT. They then go on to mention "not one, but two Ethernet ports". I only saw one RJ45 jack in their pics. Plus the answer as to why have two Ethernet ports was answered with....you'll have to wait and see.

By all means I'm not trying to rain on everyone's parade, but just because a photo of a prototype has an RJ45 jack on the back it doesn't mean this unit will have any Ethernet support. It wasn't mentioned in DTV's press release. But then again, not much was...ie, no input.output specs.

Please, if I've missed something in all these releases, correct me. But let's not jump to conclusions without DTV saying it's so.

#26 OFFLINE   zortapa

zortapa

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:21 PM

I agree that we should not jump to conclusions, but it is fun to speculate. In that vein, perhaps the 2nd RJ45 is in the front next to the second USB port. From the pics, the access panel on the bottom left front corner of the HR20 looks much wider than the panel on the R15. I wonder what else might be behind it!!!!

#27 OFFLINE   jcricket

jcricket

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:57 PM

I hope DirecTV allows for hard drive expansion via an external USB hard drive, HMO and MRV-like features. None of these are critical for me, but they'd be nice to have.

For now, if the HR20 works reliably, I'll probably swap my HR10-250 if I can get the HR20 + 5-LNB dish for free when they launch MPG4 HD locals in my area (Seattle). I'm pretty tired of the OTA hassles (or rather, the wife is incredibly tired of them).

#28 OFFLINE   Igor

Igor

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 12:33 AM

That release does say you can record two programs while watching a recorded program. That does correspond to existing units so I don't think that would be a problem.

My concern was that there was no mention of OTA tuners. The HR10 has 2 DTV and 2 OTA tuners of which all can be recorded. Maybe with the MPEG4 local HDs, DTV has removed the OTA tuners from the unit. That's a very BAD thing.

I was at the CES and visited D* both. HR20 has OTA tuners (but I do not care about it) :lol:

#29 OFFLINE   Igor

Igor

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 12:36 AM

OK, 2 comments.

1) DIRECT Date? Oh my. Can they be serious? Maybe if I could just watch idiots and their 2 minute blurb for free that might entertain me for 15 minutes, but beyond that....looser.

2) TVs? Common DTV. Concentrate on your core business. There are enough LCD manufacturers and resellers out there. I'd never get anything with built in components, not even a tuner. The LCD screen will last much longer than the 2-3 DTV units one will run through over time.

Oh yes, sportsfan, I agree. If they're saying mid-2006 they're probably hoping in time for Christmas. Maybe even releasing the HR20 like they did the R15, just in time for the holiday season.

The LCD with integrated D* receivers were displayed in D* both and Samsung's. I think you are missing the point, the LCD screens are branded (and probably manufactured by) Samsung and Humax; not DIRECTV.:rolleyes:

#30 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:34 AM

I was at the CES and visited D* both. HR20 has OTA tuners (but I do not care about it) :lol:

I want to get the best HD signals I can. Do you think the HD Locals being compressed with MPEG-4 are going to look as good as OTA signals? :nono2: I get all my locals OTA and plan to keep it that way.

#31 OFFLINE   dvrblogger

dvrblogger

Icon

• Registered
  • 562 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:11 PM

Just got back from CES and the DIRECTV booth people said the ethernet was to support some of their new DIRECTV 2 GO and other services with Microsoft and Intel VIIV. Also the unit can record 2 HD or 2 ATSC or any combination but only 2 active tuners and a third playback (HD or SD, MPEG2 or MPEG 4).
FDinally at the DIRECTV Press conference HMC was mentioned as coming in Q4 2006.
The booth people said it was based on the same HR20 platform and would be out several months later.

#32 OFFLINE   dvrblogger

dvrblogger

Icon

• Registered
  • 562 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:12 PM

I hope DirecTV allows for hard drive expansion via an external USB hard drive, HMO and MRV-like features. None of these are critical for me, but they'd be nice to have.

For now, if the HR20 works reliably, I'll probably swap my HR10-250 if I can get the HR20 + 5-LNB dish for free when they launch MPG4 HD locals in my area (Seattle). I'm pretty tired of the OTA hassles (or rather, the wife is incredibly tired of them).

The HR20 has an external SATA port specifically for expanding hard disk.

#33 OFFLINE   snidely

snidely

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:53 PM

Boxes from other providers (like the Motorola 6412 that Comcast uses) have a port for an external drive. No one I know has any plans to make use of that ability in the forseeable future. At CES I asked the Moto people - and they said no plans.
I would really be surprised if D* released a box w. that ability activated.
As mentioned by others, the HD DVR won't even be out for a few months yet (the MPEG4 DVR that is needed for the new channels.).

...mike

#34 OFFLINE   jcricket

jcricket

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:28 PM

Really? That's news. I know the new (semi-announced) Tivo Series 3 has a SATA port. This is the first I've heard about the HR20 having a SATA port.

External HD expansion isn't really critical to me. Even with only "30 hours" on the HR10-250, I can get to all I want to watch before it gets deleted.

With MPG4 and 50+ hours of HD capability, I'll probably be good for the couple of years I'll plan to use a HR20. By then (2008) something else will be out and we'll want that instead (with bigger hard drive and all...)

Again, another reason why MRV would be a nice add-on to any DVRs. Record 1/2 of what you want on one DVR and the other 1/2 on the other. Even better would be someone figuring out how to make DVRs can "collaborate" to maximize recording capacity/abilities. You'd set up recordings on one and it checks on the others if they have a "free tuner", so effectively you can record 4 things at once and watch them anywhere within the house.

Of course, simpler would be a HMC server with 4-6 tuners and 1TB of disk with hard-drive-less remote receivers. That's the eventual model I'd like to go to.

#35 OFFLINE   wmccain

wmccain

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 12:57 AM

In the CES photos posted at media.gear.ign.com/articles/679/679224/imgs_1.html I can see the serial ATA connector (near the top, above the HDMI connector and the Ethernet jack).

But what are the two DB9 connectors that appear in the photo of the left-hand side of the rear? The photos are rather out-of-focus, possibly the left-hand connector of the two "pin connectors" is an HD15, which would be a VGA port for analog RGBHV ...

The DB9 is most likely a "control port", as was mentioned in the press release for the rack-mounted version ("DirecTV Pro"). This kind of thing is very important to me, as I do a lot of custom integration work (AMX-based).

Possibly you could give us a rundown on ALL the rear-panel connectors, with reference to the aforementioned posted photos?

William C. McCain
Palo Alto, California

#36 OFFLINE   dvrblogger

dvrblogger

Icon

• Registered
  • 562 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 06:13 AM

this was a development box likely that the db9 connectors will not be in production box

In the CES photos posted at media.gear.ign.com/articles/679/679224/imgs_1.html I can see the serial ATA connector (near the top, above the HDMI connector and the Ethernet jack).

But what are the two DB9 connectors that appear in the photo of the left-hand side of the rear? The photos are rather out-of-focus, possibly the left-hand connector of the two "pin connectors" is an HD15, which would be a VGA port for analog RGBHV ...

The DB9 is most likely a "control port", as was mentioned in the press release for the rack-mounted version ("DirecTV Pro"). This kind of thing is very important to me, as I do a lot of custom integration work (AMX-based).

Possibly you could give us a rundown on ALL the rear-panel connectors, with reference to the aforementioned posted photos?

William C. McCain
Palo Alto, California

spam firewall