Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ABC Rose Bowl HD??

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,695 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 January 2006 - 08:36 PM

Ok, am I going blind or are many of the HD cameras not really HD tonight? Sometimes when they show the sidelines or closeups of players it looks alright... but most of the game during the sideline view it either looks fuzzy or lack of detail.

I'm watching OTA though I am using my Dish 6000u to view OTA channels... but a quick spot-check of Dish HD channels and my other local OTA in HD like CBS and WB and FOX quickly showed a very sharp HD picture.

So either my local ABC station is doing something funky... or ABC didn't bring out all the HD equipment for this game. I've been let down a little as it doesn't look at all like what I've been accustomed to seeing for the NFL Monday night games on ABC. I believe last night's game looked a lot better with Penn ST vs Florida ST than tonight.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Hoxxx

Hoxxx

Cool Member/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 08:41 PM

Ok, am I going blind or are many of the HD cameras not really HD tonight? Sometimes when they show the sidelines or closeups of players it looks alright... but most of the game during the sideline view it either looks fuzzy or lack of detail.

I'm watching OTA though I am using my Dish 6000u to view OTA channels... but a quick spot-check of Dish HD channels and my other local OTA in HD like CBS and WB and FOX quickly showed a very sharp HD picture.

So either my local ABC station is doing something funky... or ABC didn't bring out all the HD equipment for this game. I've been let down a little as it doesn't look at all like what I've been accustomed to seeing for the NFL Monday night games on ABC. I believe last night's game looked a lot better with Penn ST vs Florida ST than tonight.

you are correct not all angles are HD.

:nono2: :nono2: :nono2:
1:HR20 with a eSATA-750 gb, 1:HR20, 3:H20's,
Samsung 56" DLP HLT5689S,
Samsung 32" LCD LNR328W,
Sharp 20" LCD LC-20SH20U,
Polaroid 17" LCD FLM-1511,
Magnavox 15" LCD
Playstation 3, XBOX 360,
Toshiba HD-XA2, Onkyo TX-SR606, Mirage Sound System with Sub, (((XM))) Sub since 3/6/2003,
Using 1 MyFi's, and a Lucerne with Factory XM

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,695 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 January 2006 - 09:15 PM

you are correct not all angles are HD.

:nono2: :nono2: :nono2:

Sad to have that confirmed. I would have thought this game, of all the bowl games, would have warranted pulling out all the stops!

I guess they have stuff already in the trucks for the NFL Wild Card games on Saturday. I guess I'm spoiled with HD, that an otherwise enjoyable game is slightly spoiled as I noticed the lack of detail!

#4 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,300 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:23 AM

Sad to say, but the network monkeys still don't understand what HD is all about.

HD is like sex -- once you experience it, you don't want to go back to not having it.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#5 OFFLINE   rcbridge

rcbridge

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:40 AM

My local HD (Philadelphia DMA) was a mixed bag, some of the game looked great and I also noticed the little HD logo partially off the screen!! (That really didn't bother me).

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,695 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 January 2006 - 03:24 PM

What made it even stranger.... is on ESPN during the postgame, some of the highlights showed on ESPN looked to be better than some of the game-shots live on ABC... which almost implies there were cameras there to record the game in HD moreso than airing it live in HD.

#7 OFFLINE   GlennDio

GlennDio

Icon

• Registered
  • 585 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 01 January 2009 - 05:28 PM

WOW ...I think it is outstanding on Tampa ABC (via D*)....best of the year IMHO ....

#8 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,435 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 01 January 2009 - 06:21 PM

I tuned into the game about 10 minutes ago.Everything I have seen so far appears to be in 720p HD.PQ and audio has looked and sounded good.
I'm watching it via Nashville's ABC affiliate,WKRN.
Perhaps it could be a local affiliate issue.
Earlier today,there was a thread going on here somewhere about the HD quality of the NHL Winter Classic game on NBC.

Steve

#9 OFFLINE   BaldEagle

BaldEagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 06:29 PM

Watched the first 1/2 hour on my SD DVR, was not able to get to the TV until after the game started so I recorded it. When I caught up to live action switched over to OTA HD and noticed a big difference, the picture was much better but Penn St still sucked.

Edited by BaldEagle, 01 January 2009 - 07:15 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   dave1234

dave1234

Icon

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 07:15 PM

When HD it looked great on KATU in portland. Unfortunately we've got heavy rain and KATU insisted on adding a weather watch crawl, which in their case meant going to SD with bars. I'll be firing off a compaint to KATU shortly.

#11 OFFLINE   glorman

glorman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 07:21 PM

USC is playing in HD, Penn state is SD

#12 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,695 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 January 2009 - 07:42 PM

Wow... is this a record old-thread revival?

I was the last to post in it 3 years ago... and now it is back from the dead tonight.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#13 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:00 PM

Wow... is this a record old-thread revival?

I was the last to post in it 3 years ago... and now it is back from the dead tonight.

I was thinking the same thing!
Mike

My system:

HR21
HR22 w/ AM21
R15
SWM-8
Slimline5 w/ no LOS to 119 Slimline3

#14 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,695 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:56 PM

I'll see if I can get a mod to close it. I think it served its purpose 3 years ago when I started it :)

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#15 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:32 AM

So closed.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...