Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Satellite Radio Steals Show at CES

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:10 AM

Satellite radio took the spotlight during the first days of CES, taking place this week in Las Vegas:

*Delphi said it won a substantial portion of the satellite receiver business for Hyundai Motor America, company officials announced at CES. As part of the deal, Delphi will supply XM capable receivers for the Hyundai Santa Fe, Azera and Elantra. Hyundai is the first automaker to add standard satellite radio to its full vehicle lineup.

*XM and Samsung introduced a line of portable audio models that combine the content and capabilities of XM and a MP3 player. The converged solution delivers XM's 160 channels and the ability to store and play MP3 files.

*Eton Corporation, a design-driven leader in radio and portable audio products, announced a partnership with Sirius to bring its SiriusConnect home technology to the Eton and Porsche Design by Eton radio lines. Eton customers can access AM/FM, shortwave, and Sirius with its product.

Watch SkyRETAILER this week for news from 2006 CES: http://www.skyretailer.com.

http://www.skyreport.com (Used with permission)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 08:36 AM

I'm still waiting for a plug and play offering that plays BOTH Sirius and XM. I'll buy one the day they go on sale when that happens!
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   kc1ih

kc1ih

Legend

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 03:46 PM

I'm still waiting for a plug and play offering that plays BOTH Sirius and XM. I'll buy one the day they go on sale when that happens!

I don't think that will ever happen. Both systems use propritery technology, and the receivers are subsidized by the systems for which they are sold.

#4 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,189 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 05 January 2006 - 08:18 PM

At best you have aftermarket head units that will take either an XM or Sirius tuner module. I *think* there's one that will take both at once but you'd need two antennas, etc.

#5 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:59 AM

TWICE had an article about 3rd generation chips that could handle both last January, but then I never heard another thing mentioned.

The problem will be served long term whenever I get my next car I'm assuming. I'll get the XM or Sirius radio that comes with my next car and then add a plug and play unit from the other guy. I was just just looking for something sooner.

This is nuts. I have HBO, Showtime, Starz, AND Cinemax. Why can't I have both sat radio services easily? I know they are both programmers AND distributors, but they are leaving a lot of potential subscribers on the table here....
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   pez2002

pez2002

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 01:51 PM

i love my xm i should have gotten it sooner
Mike
http://www.myspace.com/wnnnnnnnbc

xm sub as of/12/31/05

howard stern on xm channels 100-101 :)

#7 OFFLINE   dpd146

dpd146

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:45 PM

Long live Sirius and Radio Margaritaville

#8 OFFLINE   pez2002

pez2002

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:27 PM

Long live Sirius and Radio Margaritaville

hey no need to bash xm many of us are fans of both :D
Mike
http://www.myspace.com/wnnnnnnnbc

xm sub as of/12/31/05

howard stern on xm channels 100-101 :)

#9 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,568 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:26 PM

I don't think that will ever happen. Both systems use propritery technology, and the receivers are subsidized by the systems for which they are sold.

There is enormous pressure to build a generic receiver; especially from the XM crowd. For every auto manufacturer that XM brags about, Sirius has five. Having a generic receiver would open a whole lot of doors.

#10 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,189 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 09 January 2006 - 01:36 PM

Harsh: VERY untrue.

XM has GM, Hyundai, Honda, and factory installed Toyota.
Sirius as Ford, Daimler-Chrysler, afermarket (add-on) Toyotas.

Nissan seems to be going both ways.

Sirius may release 5 PR statements about every partnership to XM's one, though. I can't count the number of times that I've heard about the Toyota aftermarket deal.

#11 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:14 PM

I asked about this (combo chips) at the CES Show. The only answer that I got is that it is "being worked on". They would give no indication of a timetable.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

spam firewall