Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH expanded lineup of 15 VOOM high definition channels from Rainbow Media.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 09:19 AM

LAS VEGAS — EchoStar's Dish Network will announce at International CES that it will carry an expanded lineup of 15 VOOM high definition channels from Rainbow Media.

The VOOM channels carried by Dish will include the following:

HDNews: a 24/7 national news service in high definition, with national news, sports and weather.

Equator HD: a travel channel featuring sights and sounds from the environment and cultures of distant locations.

Rave HD: a music channel offering HD concerts in 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound.

Gameplay HD: a new entry devoted to video games, with live tournament coverage, news and tips.

Rush HD: a channel devoted to extreme adventure sports coverage, from B.A.S.E. jumping and kayaking to big-wave surfing.

Worldsport HD: a new entry devoted to top sporting events from around the globe.

Animania HD: a channel covering animation from groundbreaking new series and specials to cartoon classics remastered into HD.

Treasure HD: a new entry devoted to treasure hunting, featuring exclusive live coverage of sales from the world's preeminent auction houses.

Gallery HD: a channel dedicated to visual art and the artistic process.

Ultra HD: a channel devoted to fashion, beauty and style.

Family Room HD: a new entry featuring movies, series and specials suitable for all ages.

World Cinema HD: a new entry offering the best HD movie imports.

Film Fest HD: a new entry offering restored classics, sleeper hits, retro favorites and midnight cult movies, all remastered into high definition.

Kung Fu HD: a new entry devoted to movies and features involving the martial arts.

Monsters HD: a channel devoted to monster movies.

Source

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   ibglowin

ibglowin

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 09:25 AM

So it looks like the total (new) HD programming includes 5 additional (old) VOOM channels

(World Cinema HD, Treasure HD, Game Play HD, Family Room HD, Worldsport HD)

along with ESPN2 HD
Mike

"I always wanted to be a scientist, and now I are one."

#3 OFFLINE   Hoxxx

Hoxxx

Cool Member/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 09:40 AM

Any mention of MPEG2 or MPEG4.
or how much the price will increase. I did see the photo,s of the CES and it looks like a flat $20.00 for all the HD offerings
1:HR20 with a eSATA-750 gb, 1:HR20, 3:H20's,
Samsung 56" DLP HLT5689S,
Samsung 32" LCD LNR328W,
Sharp 20" LCD LC-20SH20U,
Polaroid 17" LCD FLM-1511,
Magnavox 15" LCD
Playstation 3, XBOX 360,
Toshiba HD-XA2, Onkyo TX-SR606, Mirage Sound System with Sub, (((XM))) Sub since 3/6/2003,
Using 1 MyFi's, and a Lucerne with Factory XM

#4 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 12:58 PM

Will they require a Dish 1000?
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,419 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 January 2006 - 02:25 PM

Will they require a Dish 1000?

They did prior to this announcement and I'd bet that this will continue to be the case. It is also possible to install a secondary dish, but I wouldn't recommend it.

#6 OFFLINE   dsanbo

dsanbo

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 02:38 PM

It's my understanding VOOM will still be servrd up on 61.5, for those of us who aren't able to get 129....Hope this is correct, 'cuz I can't get 129....!!:(

#7 OFFLINE   djtowle

djtowle

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:37 AM

So can we get them on the west coast yet?

#8 OFFLINE   thxultra

thxultra

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 03:53 PM

Blah. Yet more garbage on Dish network and still no logo.

#9 OFFLINE   elbyj

elbyj

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 05:16 PM

A lot of words, but nothing to pin anything on! DISH CSRs are clueless on what is going on, yet the VOOM webpage identifies all the channels now and says to contact DISH. Reminds me writing a bad program and having it go into a loop.

Personnally, I have read a lot of the threads being posted as a result of the Las Vegas trip and really haven't seen any dates. (other than the ESPN2 in HD). I would be nice to know when we can order all the new HD packages, how much they are going to charge existing subscribers, and who can receive them with what equipment we currently have in the house. All these threads talking about MPEG 2 and MPEG4 are eating at my backside and it appears they intend to make it very costly for people like me who went ahead several months ago and bought a 942 since DISH would not lease it to us.

Does anyone have any information on what is really going on at this time and please don't tell us to wait till the Charley show on Monday!

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,298 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 05:18 PM

Does anyone have any information on what is really going on at this time and please don't tell us to wait till the Charley show on Monday!

At this time we're waiting for Monday. :D

JL

#11 OFFLINE   elbyj

elbyj

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 05:31 PM

JL,

That is what I thought you were going to say!

Thanks anyway

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,298 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 06:08 PM

It is a chicken and egg situation at E* as well. The channels are ready to go --- but do you see a ViP622 in your retailer's showroom? Nope. There are 411's and ViP211's in the pipeline and in bleeding edge homes, but E* needs to have the receivers on hand throughout the country before saying "go".

So now it up to the people in production and final testing to make sure that the 1st day subscribers won't be hit with a rash of "new box" bugs. I believe they can still make February 1st as a turn on date. Plenty of time. :)

In some ways we've caused our own problems by seeking so much information so soon. That's one reason why I don't like to get into rumors in the forum unless the rumor is just an unreleased fact. Speculation should also be clearly noted as such.

Yet we still have plenty of rampant speculation that current HD customers will not get a deal. Until I hear Charlie or someone else say "no deal" I'm going to have to reject that speculation. I hope that on Monday they have the "existing customer" deals laid out - and that most existing customers think that they are good.

Note I said most ... I know for a fact that 100% of existing E* HD customers won't be happy. I've read the forums long enough to meet some people who will NEVER be happy. But I believe the deal E* will offer will be at least fair to existing subscribers and probably a really good deal (considering E*'s out of pocket costs).

I do expect that whatever is offered there will be a committment required. Perhaps a lease/maintainance fee or year subscription. These are expensive receivers to be sending out to customers who may not make it worth the investment. (It IS a business - ROI IS important.)

Anyways, here I am rambling about receivers in a Voom content press release thread - back to the point. I expect that current HD customers will be taken care of and will continue to believe so until E* tells me otherwise.

JL

#13 OFFLINE   elbyj

elbyj

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 06:56 PM

JL,

I really appreciate your comments, as well as other readers of this thread. Let's just hope all your thoughts come true. Totally agree everyone will not be happy with whatever comes out of the barrel, but at least we will have a good feeling D* is trying to take care of their existing customers and not primarily looking at new users. Many of us have been with D* for many years, and I know I won't be changing, as my wife is getting dangerous learning all the "in and outs" of the 942!!! For someone who didn't want to go to HD, she suddenly thinks it is the best thing in the world!

Looking very forward to what the next 30 days will bring! Hey, it is going to be Christmas all over again!

EJ

#14 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,904 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:16 PM

In some ways we've caused our own problems by seeking so much information so soon. That's one reason why I don't like to get into rumors in the forum unless the rumor is just an unreleased fact. Speculation should also be clearly noted as such.

I'll go off-topic, but to illustrate the point...

There are lots of spoiler/fan sites online for most popular TV shows now... A couple of years ago I was really into visiting the sites to see what was upcoming on my favorite shows. Getting a nugget in advance seemed kind of cool at first.

BUT... then I would watch the show, and when the spoiler/rumor was true, it made the show seem predictable since I knew what was coming... and I found I didn't enjoy the show. Since then, I've re-watched some of the same shows again after some distance between them... and I find the shows to be perfectly enjoyable.

The problem wasn't the show... but in my expectations... I had ruined my own expectations by learning too much that was coming.

Same thing happens with movies. Think a movie is going to be great? Go watch it with high expectations and unless it is great, you feel cheated... Think a movie is going to suck but you are bored and watch anyway? Sometimes you find it enjoyable because it didn't suck, so it was a pleasant surprise even if it wasn't Oscar-winning material.

Lesson learned for me... don't get into the spoilers too much because I can ruin the new experience of watching the show.

I feel the same here. Rumors and speculations can be fun... but don't get mad at a rumor. Get mad at fact if it bothers you, but don't get mad until it becomes a fact. It's not healthy, and can actually lead to faulty expectations.

Expecting the worst might make you feel too good about a sucky offer from them that you otherwise wouldn't have liked! Expecting the best might disappoint you unless you get the best... and spending a month getting mad before the bad news comes just means you are that much more drained!

#15 OFFLINE   auburn2

auburn2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:25 PM

channel 9480 and 9479.

I assume they are on 61.5 since that is where the rest of my Voom channels come from.

They are also must be MPEG 2 since I am receiving them with my 942.

#16 OFFLINE   stuart628

stuart628

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 375 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:34 PM

channel 9480 and 9479.

I assume they are on 61.5 since that is where the rest of my Voom channels come from.

They are also must be MPEG 2 since I am receiving them with my 942.

those are two old voom channels (guytv and majestic) renamed, not two new channels.

#17 OFFLINE   BasicBlak

BasicBlak

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 07:22 PM

They did prior to this announcement and I'd bet that this will continue to be the case. It is also possible to install a secondary dish, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Harsh, is there a particular reason why you wouldn't recommend a secondary dish as opposed to the 1000? I'm contemplating a Voom Pak upgrade in the future, so I'm curious as to your input. Thanks.:)
BasicBlak
E* since 5/04 - 211 via HDMI; 522 (dual mode) via S-Video
Sony BRAVIA KDS-60A3000 60" SXRD HDTV (1080p native, 24Hz-compatible)
Winegard Platinum HD8200P UHF antenna
Toshiba HD-A35 1080/24p HD DVD player (v4.0) via HDMI
Sony PS3 40GB Gaming/Blu-ray Disc system (v2.53) via HDMI
Onkyo TX-SR805 THX Ultra2 7.1 receiver (v1.08 w/DSP update)
Carver Cinema "7.1" speaker system
Boston 595x subwoofers

#18 OFFLINE   GeorgeLV

GeorgeLV

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 07:37 PM

So can we get them on the west coast yet?

Voom has been on 129 for the west coast for months.

#19 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,419 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:21 PM

Harsh, is there a particular reason why you wouldn't recommend a secondary dish as opposed to the 1000?

Mostly because I'm not fond (nor are my neighbors) of antenna farms. The Dish1000 is not much larger than the Dish500 and it does the job. I was able to yank the Dish500 off of the mount and replace it with the new dish without having to screw more things onto the house. If you're looking to salvage an investment in a DP34 or have more than two receivers, then the second dish option is probably worth considering as the Dish1000 is DPP and not compatible with the DP34.

I get signals in the low 100s on 110 and 119 and mid 80s on 129.

#20 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:46 PM

Earlier it was not going to be expanded to 21 channels so that we could get the full HD quality back, now it's to remain 15 VoOm channels total in HD-Lite. Seems like they tried to sneak this one by.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...