Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV & FOX Launch Partnership

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 12:07 PM

Fox Entertainment Group and DIRECTV Launch Partnership to Offer Best of FOX and FX Network Programming On Demand

LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 5, 2006--

Groundbreaking Deal Includes Pre-Air Broadcasts of
FX Series, Post-Air Broadcasts of FOX Programs
Plus One Hour Weekly Showcase of Fox Entertainment Highlights

Fox Entertainment Group and DIRECTV, Inc., today announced an agreement to bring viewers the best of FX and FOX Broadcasting on demand through the new DIRECTV Plus® DVR (digital video recorder). In an industry first, beginning in March viewers will get a "first look" at prime time hits from FX a full 24-48 hours prior to their initial broadcasts for $2.99 and, later in the year, DIRECTV subscribers will have post-air access to FOX Broadcasting's hottest series for just 99 cents for six to seven days following their national broadcast. The innovative deal will provide DIRECTV subscribers the ability to choose between pre-air and post-air television programming options for the first time ever.

In addition, DIRECTV viewers will have free, on demand access to a weekly showcase of exclusive highlights from Fox Entertainment, including the promotional presentation of limited, full-length television episodes, extended footage from leading Fox programs, and behind the scenes features on Fox films and TV shows.

"We're committed to finding new ways to bring our content to consumers and we think this deal is a huge step forward in giving them greater choice and control over their entertainment experience," said Peter Chernin, President and Chief Operating Officer of News Corporation. "For the very first time, viewers will be able to watch their favorite shows before the rest of the world. And we now have the ability to create different cuts of our programs for the pre-air audience -- versions with additional scenes and materials not included in the network broadcast -- something entirely new. It's an exciting opportunity for the television consumer and for us. Moreover, this new partnership will also enrich the viewing experience by providing access to DIRECTV's enhanced services, features and interactive functionality."

"Growing our interactive/On Demand service is a top priority for DIRECTV and our partnership with Fox is further testament to the commitment DIRECTV is making to delivering the very best in television and entertainment programming," said Chase Carey, president and CEO, DIRECTV, Inc. "By continually offering our subscribers new and exclusive programming choices at their convenience, we not only enhance the viewing experience but broaden the depth of our services and offerings."

Under terms of the agreement, viewers will have on demand access to some of television's most acclaimed dramas, comedies and documentaries including FX's "The Shield," "Rescue Me," "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia," and "30 Days" and FOX Broadcasting's "24," and "Prison Break."

"Television viewing habits continue to evolve and this deal is a prime example of our ongoing effort to bring consumers exciting new ways to individualize their entertainment experience," said Peter Levinsohn, President of Fox Digital Media. "And in DIRECTV, we've found an ideal partner."

The DIRECTV Plus DVR brings the viewing experience to new levels with an array of network programming on demand, one-touch pause, rewind and fast-forward functionality and 100 hours of recording capacity and interactive functionality. The DIRECTV Plus DVR is available at 1-800 DIRECTV, directv.com and all Best Buy and Circuit City retailers nationwide.

Source

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   steveymac

steveymac

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 12:15 PM

seems like the only good reason to get a directv plus dvr is the on demand stuff... i guess if you can over look the bugginess it would be ok...i wish they'd offer this stuff to DirecTIVO customers..so much for rewarding loyalty

#3 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 02:29 PM

Are these offerings (the $2.99 and $.99) shows commercial free?

#4 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 03:06 PM

You'd think they were both owned by the same parent company or something. ;)
--Cap

-------------------------
TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

#5 OFFLINE   Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 03:47 PM

Another waste of our HD Bandwidth.

#6 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,100 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 05:08 PM

Are these offerings (the $2.99 and $.99) shows commercial free?

What a ripoff! FOX programming isn't worth paying for twice.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#7 OFFLINE   GeorgeLV

GeorgeLV

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 05:35 PM

Another waste of our HD Bandwidth.

How? These will most likely be spolled to DVRs in the middle of the night when several channels are off-air.

#8 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:54 PM

How? These will most likely be spolled to DVRs in the middle of the night when several channels are off-air.

Middle of the night still means a dedicated channel and bandwidth. YES, waste of bandwidth givin the low percentage of DTV customers that can currently receive any "active" or "VOD" programming.

What receivers currently can take advantage of MIX or Active channels? D10? D11? R15? H20? If I missed any or was wrong here, please correct me.

What receivers currently can take advantage of these "new" offerings by DTV? R15. That's it.

I see DTV making a very huge mistake here announcing all of these GREAT features that are only available if you get a new receiver. My very cloudy crystal ball is saying the millions of current DTV customers that cannot get these new offerings are going to feel DTV screwed them over. Unless DTV is willing to give away millions of D11's or H20's or R15's I think these announcements may just start a war by current customers against DTV.

#9 OFFLINE   Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 10:59 PM

Thats the way I see it also wolfie, I'm like a 159 on the list to be updated to mpg4 so I'll never see a box, but I'd just be happy with some more HD channels or make the ones there sending now real HD...There just to worried about getting more people to sign contracts instead of keeping their promises to its faithful.
by the way You looked great on CSI tonight....lol

#10 OFFLINE   robert koerner

robert koerner

Icon

• Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 03:32 AM

I’m ready to watch Canadian, UK or TV shows from Australia (or India), when USA TV networks broadcast booooooooaring TV shows.

Sat TV seems to be behind my demand curve.

Bob

#11 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:45 AM

Thats the way I see it also wolfie, I'm like a 159 on the list to be updated to mpg4 so I'll never see a box, but I'd just be happy with some more HD channels or make the ones there sending now real HD...There just to worried about getting more people to sign contracts instead of keeping their promises to its faithful.
by the way You looked great on CSI tonight....lol

Yea, one of my crazy relatives up in Vegas. You never know what they're up to. That's why we stay far enough away down in Phoenix. :lol:

#12 OFFLINE   DConroy

DConroy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:59 AM

I'm a HUGE fan of The Shield and Rescue Me...but I still file this under "why would I care?"

I already have a DVR, and watch the show whenever I want.

Watching each ep a day or two early means nothing to me, especially for a fee.

Commercial free does nothing to entice, since I watch on DVR and skip them anyway.

It's only for the R15 as of right now, which means I couldn't watch the show in my living room which has the HR10-250.

Now...if they were to make the entire season available at one early time....then they'd have my attention.

#13 OFFLINE   News Junky

News Junky

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 05:57 PM

I don't know how they come up with the pricing for TV on demand but I'd watch them and think 10 times as many people would too if they dropped the price to .25 per show.

#14 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:31 PM

On Demand technology is great, but I don't see how it can be successfully done on satellite.

With cable I watched a few earlier episodes of Six Feet Under on HBO On Demand that I missed. I used to love Crank Yankers but Comedy Central stopped showing it. Comedy Central On Demand has a few episodes that I've never seen in their library. What's nice is the content updates and never gets stale. The libraries these On Demand channels is huge and gives viewer the chance to see older content they've either missed or want to watch again. With 30 channels of On Demand that don't cost me an extra dime, it's great.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

spam firewall