Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

"Echostar Not For Sale" says Ergen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 05:42 PM

Ergen: EchoStar not for sale
By Kimberly S. Johnson
Denver Post Staff Writer

Las Vegas - Despite ongoing speculation that EchoStar Communications Corp. could be an acquisition target for telecommunications giant AT&T Corp. Charlie Ergen, chairman and chief executive for EchoStar said he is not looking to sell the company or become a primary shareholder of another company.

"These rumors are false. I'm happy being the largest shareholder of EchoStar," said Ergen after a press conference this morning at the 2006 International Consumer Electronics Show.

More

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   navychop

navychop

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 08:43 PM

Then why did he select the latest additions to the executive suite? Their backgrounds indicate skills in selling their companies.

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,854 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 January 2006 - 09:05 PM

I'll not believe the rumor until it becomes fact... but to be honest, IF there were sale negotiations with AT&T, you can bet Dish (and Charlie) wouldn't just come out and say it!

In the early stages, buy-outs and mergers tend to be rumors for a while before anyone admits to it... so it wouldn't surprise me if 6 months or a year from now we are still hearing Charlie say "I'm not for sale"... and then 6 months after that a deal is inked.

Also wouldn't surprise me if this fell through... or if it never was an offer on the table in the first place!

#4 OFFLINE   Fifty Caliber

Fifty Caliber

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 979 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 11:13 PM

Also wouldn't surprise me if this fell through... or if it never was an offer on the table in the first place!

Kinda like that whole merger idea.:lol:
Gun control is racist.

#5 OFFLINE   Jerry 42

Jerry 42

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:41 AM

As someone said every thing is for sale if the deal and the price is right.

#6 OFFLINE   aquaman67

aquaman67

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 07:50 AM

I guess I can put my check book away...

#7 OFFLINE   cheer

cheer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 09:13 AM

In the early stages, buy-outs and mergers tend to be rumors for a while before anyone admits to it... so it wouldn't surprise me if 6 months or a year from now we are still hearing Charlie say "I'm not for sale"... and then 6 months after that a deal is inked.!

Indeed. As someone who works for a recently-acquired company (which I won't name, but its logo once and again looked/looks like the Death Star), I experienced several years of rumors as an employee. Things were on, then off, then on, then on with someone else, then off, then on with two different suitors...

Until a deal is signed, everyone will issue denials. But as someone else in the thread pointed out, every public company is for sale. Whatever Charlie may say, if an offer comes along he has a fiduciary responsibility to take it to the board and consider the best interests of the shareholders.
--
Christopher D. Heer

We've got a blind date with destiny, and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

#8 OFFLINE   AcuraCL

AcuraCL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 09:39 AM

"Company X is not for sale" is usually the 2-week notice of an impending merger.

Dang, I was hoping my Dish stock would get back up to $50 or so before a merger happened ....

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,236 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 09:41 AM

Whatever Charlie may say, if an offer comes along he has a fiduciary responsibility to take it to the board and consider the best interests of the shareholders.

It does help that if it came to a shareholder vote Charlie has such a large influence. Charlie isn't a build it up, sell it, and build the next company type of CEO. He's the fall in love with the business and die running the company type of CEO.

JL

#10 OFFLINE   JosephF

JosephF

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:12 PM

I don't see Mike Dugan coming back to a company that is going to be sold. That to me is the biggest indicator that Charlie is not selling.

#11 OFFLINE   cheer

cheer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 12:09 AM

It does help that if it came to a shareholder vote Charlie has such a large influence. Charlie isn't a build it up, sell it, and build the next company type of CEO. He's the fall in love with the business and die running the company type of CEO.

On the other hand, if the offer that's made is substantial and clearly in the best interests of shareholders, and Charlie shuns it, he can be sued by the minority shareholders.
--
Christopher D. Heer

We've got a blind date with destiny, and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...