Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Local Hd Markets?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   danstah

danstah

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 10:30 PM

Is the pic on my next post an indication of what markets will be getting hd locals this year??

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   danstah

danstah

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 10:31 PM

http://www.dbstalk.c...59&d=1136510460

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,685 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 10:33 PM

Yes.
"Markets and networks subject to availability, and may change."

JL

#4 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:07 AM

To me, "HD Locals" should include a lot more than ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox. In my market, there are four other stations that have HD programming (and that will be five other stations latter this year). PBS is doing quite a bit of GOOD programming in HD (unlike the "regular" networks who have quite a bit of crap in HD) and to have it NOT included is a real minus IMHO.
Bill R

#5 OFFLINE   Laverne

Laverne

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:22 AM

Yes.
"Markets and networks subject to availability, and may change."

JL

I personally got really excited when I saw 'Springfield, MO'.

Then I couldn't help but notice the words 'planned', 'subject to availability', 'may change'....

Of course, then I also remembered that we only have NBC and PBS that broadcast available HD programming currently.
Laverne

#6 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,039 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:53 PM

To me, "HD Locals" should include a lot more than ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox. In my market, there are four other stations that have HD programming (and that will be five other stations latter this year). PBS is doing quite a bit of GOOD programming in HD (unlike the "regular" networks who have quite a bit of crap in HD) and to have it NOT included is a real minus IMHO.

Its a start, let it happen. I completely agree about PBS though. I think that would be in the second round. D* is currently doing it the same way, just the 4 networks. Eventually I think you will see the PBS's added, and WB, UPN. But it will take bandwidth, and I dont think either DBS company has it yet....

Its really kind of ridiculous, all this "I want it all, I want it right now, and I want it for free"

#7 OFFLINE   elbyj

elbyj

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 05:24 PM

Hopefully DISH will have better luck than Time Warner in getting our local FOX/WB channels to allow transmission of their pseudo HD signals on anything but OTA. Right now the Time Warner is unable to carry their pseudo HD signals throughout their San Antonio market because of the money issues.

#8 OFFLINE   flmilkfarmer

flmilkfarmer

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 05:41 PM

Figures I get my locals out of the Tampa market.

#9 OFFLINE   Tower Guy

Tower Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:10 AM

Hopefully DISH will have better luck than Time Warner in getting our local FOX/WB channels to allow transmission of their pseudo HD signals on anything but OTA. Right now the Time Warner is unable to carry their pseudo HD signals throughout their San Antonio market because of the money issues.

That's usually because the cable companies refuse to pay even a penny.

spam firewall