Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

mpeg 4 city list? anybody have it

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sotti

sotti

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:21 PM

Does anybody have the list of cities scheduled for mpeg4 roll out.

I'm not even concerned about the specific dates.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 03:41 PM

Here are the estimates used for the current TV season, listing the cities in order from largest to smallest. I am not aware of how closely this matches D*'s rollout schedule, but I would guess it isn't too far off - good enough to get a general idea anyway, if that's what your looking for.

http://www.nielsenmedia.com/DMAs.html

#3 OFFLINE   sotti

sotti

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 03:45 PM

Here are the estimates used for the current TV season, listing the cities in order from largest to smallest. I am not aware of how closely this matches D*'s rollout schedule, but I would guess it isn't too far off - good enough to get a general idea anyway, if that's what your looking for.

Well Portland is number 23 so we must be right on the bubble.

#4 OFFLINE   jfalkingham

jfalkingham

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 04:44 PM

so far, their target was the top 12 markets eoy 2005, and 'i think' they made it, at least the top 10 did.

Welcome to the forum :)

#5 OFFLINE   zortapa

zortapa

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 09:02 AM

FWIW, I just asked a D* HD CSR when I could expect the Minneapolis (DMA=15) locals to be available. She told me that it would be April at the earliest, after the next launch. I guess the current bird(s) must be nearing its(their) capacity.....

#6 OFFLINE   syphix

syphix

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 09:29 AM

That's gotta be impossible. Spaceway 1 is already nearing capacity?? With only 48 HD channels??? Impossible.

But when I talked to D*, their HD CSR said Minneapolis HD in "Spring 2006, that's all the information they gave us."

So, "spring" could be March, April, May or even JUNE. But with E* saying LiL-HD's are rolling out in March, I'd expect D* to speed up their roll out.

#7 OFFLINE   ScoB

ScoB

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:53 AM

If you want more info on the D* HD situation - and right from the horses mouth. You can listen to Chase Carey (President & CEO) of DirecTV speak about it. He gave a presentation on Monday January 9th - to listen just go to DirecTV.com, click on the link across the top titled 'investor relations' and you will be able to find the link to the audiocast of his discussion. 48 minutes long, but some pretty good inside information on a lot of our discussion topics from here.

#8 OFFLINE   DrrD

DrrD

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 01:04 PM

The other day a D* rep told me something interesting. The rollout is not based simply on the size of the market, but specifically on the number of D* HD subscribers in that market. So generally it would follow the market size, but if 1 city had alot of HD subscribers relative to its size it might jump the line.

#9 OFFLINE   heathramos

heathramos

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 01:00 PM

I wonder when the next cities are getting loal hd.

as far as I know, LA and NY were the last ones and that was almost a month ago.

I am in the Sacramento area and waiting. Maybe in a couple of more months.

Not that it matters much since I won't switch out until the new hd dvr is available.

#10 OFFLINE   Proc

Proc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 307 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 06:50 AM

The other day a D* rep told me something interesting. The rollout is not based simply on the size of the market, but specifically on the number of D* HD subscribers in that market. So generally it would follow the market size, but if 1 city had alot of HD subscribers relative to its size it might jump the line.

Does this mean that Detroit had the most D* HD subscribers and thus was the first city to roll out MPEG4?

#11 OFFLINE   zortapa

zortapa

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:07 AM

Probably not. I suspect that Detroit might have had the fewest HD subscribers among the top 12 DMAs, meaning that it would be the best "high DMA market" in which they could beta test the new HD service....
-Eric
------------------
SLS5
HR-22
Onkyo TX702
Toshiba CinemaSeries xxxxx

#12 OFFLINE   kayzersoze

kayzersoze

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 03:09 AM

Detroit was chosen mainly because it had the least number of hd subscribers of the top ten DMAs.

Spaceway 1 is no where near capacity, the delay is because DTV has to set up the front end equipment in each market to get the signal to Spaceway 1.

So far the rollout for the top 36 markets have been slated before the middle of the year. No other markets have been announced yet. If you want to know about a specific market call DTV all the csr's have a list.

#13 OFFLINE   heathramos

heathramos

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:36 PM

I bought a 2nd hdtv this weekend and was hoping local hd would be in my area soon (I am in the Sacramento area). Seems like I might be in for a long wait.

Here is what Directv sent me last night:

Thanks for asking about HD equipment. We've begun to roll out local HD programming. We're already serving select cities and hope to add others by the end of this year, which might include the Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto CA. We will be adding more cities soon after these and gradually expanding our coverage over the next two years, as we deploy new satellites that use state-of-the-art MPEG-4 technology. The local channels we offer will carry a mix of digital standard-definition and HD programming.

Customers who have DIRECTV HD equipment and want to receive local HD programming from DIRECTV will be eligible for an MPEG-4-capable receiver replacement after we launch local HD programming in your city. (If you want to replace your HD DVR, you will need to wait a bit longer. Our new MPEG-4-capable DIRECTV HD DVR is expected to be available sometime in 2006, after we roll out our local HD programming to our first group of cities.)

More details will be available when we launch the local HD service in your area, so watch your local TV, radio or mailbox for upcoming announcements or visit DIRECTV.com/HD

Thanks again for writing and stay tuned to DIRECTV.com for the latest news and information about HD programming

Sincerely,
John H
DIRECTV Customer Service

Protected By... spam firewall...And...