Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No new HD channels from D*

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   snidely

snidely

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:29 AM

All the bandwasting locals they are adding don't add to my total number of HD channels available. Like DISH, they are only going to provide the "big" 4 networks. No PBS! (No UPN or WB either, not that I care now ST is off the air.) Only one PPV channel and that at a fair sized premium price.
Why not add ALL the national channels available? That way everyone can benefit. If I want ALL the networks, I will have to keep my Canadian DBS system from BEV - who offers 4 HD PPV channels.
Two diff. D* reps at CES told me there were no plans to add any real HD any time soon.
And, of course, no HD DVR to watch even the few locals they have put up until April at the earliest.
Of course Comcast doesn't carry all the local HD channels either - altho they do carry the PBS station. It doesn't appear Comcast even has a real HD PPV channel.

...mike

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   gquiring

gquiring

Godfather

• Registered
  • 391 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:26 AM

There was all this talk that D* would add TNT-HD in January. Even the CSR reps were hinting in area. ANOTHER BIG let down for me.

My cable company offers a lot more HD content and now has the SA 8300 DVR. I just keep reading that the SA8300 stinks in comparison to the HR10-250. Maybe when the series 3 Tivo gets on the market I can consider swithing back to cable. What has kept me loyal to D* has been their Tivos.

#3 OFFLINE   stupid0g

stupid0g

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 12:17 AM

last reports were slated for release in 07' however no firm date for the national channel hd rollout.

*really means- we're trying to test the ability of the equipment as well as the transmission equipment with small local upgrades before we roll it out across the country and something happens and lots of perople are mad.

just my 2 cents
The guy you hate to talk to at D*

#4 OFFLINE   zipbags

zipbags

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 12:50 PM

So I guess this means we won't be getting HGTV/Food network in HD soon. :(

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 02:57 PM

With the exception of ESPN2-HD; There hasn't been more then a day or two notice when they have added any type of channel... Usually the press-release is the same day the channels is turned on.

Note... look what happened to ESPN2-HD... they announced it, but then it didn't come for what 4 months or something like that?

I agree that I would like some more of the national HD networks (National Geographic is going HD this month).... but ultimately time will only tell.

#6 OFFLINE   jcricket

jcricket

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 03:33 PM

With the exception of ESPN2-HD; There hasn't been more then a day or two notice when they have added any type of channel... Usually the press-release is the same day the channels is turned on.

Note... look what happened to ESPN2-HD... they announced it, but then it didn't come for what 4 months or something like that?

I agree that I would like some more of the national HD networks (National Geographic is going HD this month).... but ultimately time will only tell.

The lack of new national HD channels is a little disappointing. SD picture quality is so soft (read: crappy) when compared to even an average HD program.

Now 80% of what I record on my HD Tivo is from the network channels, and another 10% is HD from Showtime or HBO. The remainder is stuff I care about less, so I can live with SD for now. But if they added just SciFi, HGTV, FX and USA in HD that would probably get me to 95% of what I care to watch/record. It's amazing how few of the channels I watch with any regularity.

#7 OFFLINE   moonman

moonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 798 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 03:48 PM

So I guess this means we won't be getting HGTV/Food network in HD soon. :(

You need DISH for that:D
http://www.avsforum....ad.php?t=628870

#8 OFFLINE   GeorgeLV

GeorgeLV

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 03:57 PM

But if they added just SciFi, HGTV, FX and USA in HD that would probably get me to 95% of what I care to watch/record.

Universal HD = SciFi/USA in HD.

#9 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 05:13 PM

Wrong, Universal HD = Knight Rider. I can't believe how many times a day that show is on!

#10 OFFLINE   jcricket

jcricket

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 05:48 PM

I wish. Monk doesn't get shown on Universal HD until like a year after the original episodes air (unless I'm missing something).

#11 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:10 PM

There are some programs from SciFi and USA that air on UHD, but as mentioned, they are broadcast on there long after they aired on the original channels. Battlestar Galactica, for one. This season started on SciFi in September (or thereabouts) and the first episode from this season that I saw on UHD was just a couple of weeks ago, maybe. Not quite the same when you have to wait that long.

#12 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:01 AM

Stargate in HD, i'd probably even move to dish for that ;)

the lack of upn/wb really bugs me. Now i have to really get that antenna lined up to try to get all my locals

#13 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:16 AM

SCI-FI Friday demands HD. Common DTV!!!!!

#14 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:57 AM

Maybe we should be bugging SCI-FI, since if they would just go HD, tons of people could get it...

#15 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:57 AM

well if there is no sci fi HD to be had, it's not dtvs fault

#16 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 07:35 PM

Maybe we should be bugging SCI-FI, since if they would just go HD, tons of people could get it...

If HD Universal can pull the SCIFI programming 6 months afterwards, why can't they pull them during the original release??? Pretty much makes HD Universal worthless. Just like other DTV HD offerings.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...