Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ESPN2 HD by the World Cup?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mvpujols777

mvpujols777

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 09:13 AM

Do you guys think we will have ESPN2 HD by the time the World Cup rolls around in the summer, June I believe to be exact? If so, I will have all 64 HD games in HD- my butt will not move from couch.

Any idea?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mikey

Mikey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 09:21 AM

Check the front page headlines for 1/5/2006, update #3.

#3 OFFLINE   mvpujols777

mvpujols777

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 12:17 PM

Bingo! Thanks, buddy, you just made my day.

#4 OFFLINE   mruk69

mruk69

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 02:57 PM

Bingo! Thanks, buddy, you just made my day.

It will be awesome watching England lift the World cup agin aftyer 40 years (last won 1966) in HD.

#5 OFFLINE   SummitAdvantageRetailer

SummitAdvantageRetailer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 422 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 11:46 PM

I wonder if ESPN 2 is the sole English language network to carry the WC06. If not, it'd be nice to see Rush HD, WorldSport HD, HDNet, and etc. to carry some portions of it.

#6 OFFLINE   Notorious

Notorious

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:50 AM

ONLY ESPN, ESPN2 and ABC will carry the world cup for many years to come in the US. It will not be on any other channel. Remeber though for ESPN2HD you will need to upgrade your equipment.

I AM PUMPED that I can watch the WC in HD...now Im hoping DISH installs ABC HD before the Cup starts as probably all the US Games and the Final will be on ABC.

#7 OFFLINE   SummitAdvantageRetailer

SummitAdvantageRetailer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 422 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 11:00 AM

ONLY ESPN, ESPN2 and ABC will carry the world cup for many years to come in the US. It will not be on any other channel. Remeber though for ESPN2HD you will need to upgrade your equipment.

I AM PUMPED that I can watch the WC in HD...now Im hoping DISH installs ABC HD before the Cup starts as probably all the US Games and the Final will be on ABC.

ABC will definitely carry the US games if on the weekend. Weekday games will most likely go to ESPN and then ESPN2 for carry-over games unless if ESPN had a better event at that time, like what is though?! The US games will be fun to watch with this tough, tough bracket they're in.

#8 OFFLINE   mruk69

mruk69

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 11:23 PM

Galavision and Univision will carry it in Spanish.

#9 OFFLINE   Wicked

Wicked

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 03:16 AM

Galavision and Univision will carry it in Spanish.

Univision is a truly laggard:) No HD!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish i could have the WC06 in spanish HD!!!!!!!!
Vizio E550VA 55"LCD HDTV 1080p
Panasonic TH-42PD12 42" Plasma HDTV 720p
DirecTV
-Lo Maximo/NFLST/MLBEI/FS+/SportsPack
HR24-500
HR23-700
SKY Mexico
-SKY UNIVERSE+La Liga
SKY+HD (HR23)

#10 OFFLINE   Notorious

Notorious

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 08:27 PM

I remember that in SD WC 2002 looked much better on Univision than it did on ESPN. On ESPN the games looked like crap, on Univision it was very sharp. I assume with all games being on HD this year we wont have any trouble...ooo and Mruk...England win the Cup...come on you cant be serious Hhahaha :) The only time they ever won was when they played at home...every other time they fail...well Im Brazilian so you know Ive been happy lately...oh and yes it will be on univison..I was talking about English language only.

#11 OFFLINE   mvpujols777

mvpujols777

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:28 AM

Why is it that I have to upgrade my equipment? Do i have to buy a whole new receiver?

Somebody give me the lowdown on what it'll cost to get ESPN2HD in my house for the world cup.

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,725 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:06 AM

Why is it that I have to upgrade my equipment? Do i have to buy a whole new receiver?

Somebody give me the lowdown on what it'll cost to get ESPN2HD in my house for the world cup.

E* is moving to new receivers. They have decided to use a newer encoding method that the old receivers cannot do. In order to get people to move over to the new receivers no new HD will be offered to old receivers.

February 1st is the start date for the new offers. If you just want to watch you can upgrade for $98. If you want the DVR It's going to be $299. Both are leases and include any dishes and switches you need.

#13 OFFLINE   sendy

sendy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:59 PM

Iam glad will get to see ESPN2HD for the world cup, :hurah:
sorry but ARGENTINA will have the cup in HD:)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...