Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Choices

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ckg1999

ckg1999

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 12:18 PM

All-
I have a delima that i need some help with. This is my first post, even though I have read these forums for a while now.
I am moving out of my Parents house and am taking with me a Triple LNB dish and Hughes DirecTiVo series 2. I am in the DC area, so I hear can get the new satellites. What would my best course of action be? Should I goto a BestBuy or other outlet and be a new subscriber to see if they will give me the new dish and recievers? Should I just sign up using my current equipment? Or wait and get cable?
I have a SharpShooter HD antenna from Winegaurd, so local HD is not a problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jfalkingham

jfalkingham

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 01:29 PM

Hi and welcome

I would sign up as a new subscriber at your new location and go for one of the many promotions that DirecTV and partners have now. valueelectronics.com has offers for new subscribers too.

I would seriously consider getting the R15 (for now anyway) because the features that DirecTV will be pushing, the ondemand stuff, watch FX shows prior to premiere, DirecTV to go will all be part of their new platform and unfortunately the Tivo units are not part of the picture. You can then move to the HD DVR when it comes out (R20 I think) 2nd quarter of 2006.

If you don't care about all that, then your DirecTivo will be fine and you can call DirecTV and utilize the Movers connection.

If you want cable, you need to talk to someone who has the same service you are talking about. Packages and prices vary by region and what I have to say about Comcast here, may not be of any help to you there.

Anyway, good luck with everything!

#3 OFFLINE   ckg1999

ckg1999

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 01:49 PM

I def. want HD. When the new HD receiver comes out this summer, would they upgrade for free? Could I still use my DirecTiVo with the new 5 LNB Dish?

#4 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 03:11 PM

Can you get HD channels OTA? If so, I'd go with the Tivo model HR10-250....well, I did go with that. I've got 4 HDVR2s and the HDTivo. I'm in Phoenix so the MPEG-4 locals will be here soon but I really have no need for them. I get all HD OTA channels without any problem so I'm planning on sticking with the 3LNB dish and DTivos until they don't work any more.

I just don't like what I hear about the new DirecTV Plus DVRs. Some nice features like VOD, Active MIX channels and such, but if they can't get a DVR to correctly perform the functions of a DVR I can wait forever.

#5 OFFLINE   jfalkingham

jfalkingham

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:48 PM

I def. want HD. When the new HD receiver comes out this summer, would they upgrade for free? Could I still use my DirecTiVo with the new 5 LNB Dish?

Your DirecTiVO will be fine with the new HD Dish. Would they upgrade you for free? Well, that is all a matter of how bad they need you to upgrade ;)

If you buy a HD Tivo now, then when the new MPEG 4 HD receiver comes up, they will upgrade you for that. Get the R15, get used to it, and then call and move to the R20 when available. Ask for a free upgrade andif they do not give it for free, they will most certainly offer some sort of discount.

#6 OFFLINE   pjtech

pjtech

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 03:47 PM

I just upgraded from the H10 to H20 and the charge was $100.00

#7 OFFLINE   jfalkingham

jfalkingham

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 06:12 PM

It should be free after rebate. You can buy the H20 for $199.99 with a $200 rebate. That is available for new & existing customers.

See ValueElectronics
http://www.valueelectronics.com/

They'll take care of you and charge a very reasonable shipping fee.

#8 OFFLINE   redskin9

redskin9

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:35 AM

I was able to get everything waived. They upgraded my H10 to a H20 for free(and I still have the H10). Originally they wanted $99 for the dish/install and $14.95 for shipping before agreeing to do for free.Contact CS and press the issue (ask for a supervisor if need be and/or customer retention dept.). If nothing else you'll probably get some free and/or discounted programmimg.

#9 OFFLINE   ckg1999

ckg1999

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 01:50 PM

Well, would I be able to do the same, say at Best Buy? Or would I need to go through value?

#10 OFFLINE   ckg1999

ckg1999

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:05 AM

Well, i pulled the plug as a new customer @ Best Buy. I got the H20 and R15 both free after rebates. They are coming next week to install the 5LNB dish. I didnt opt for the OTA antenna since I already have a Winegaurd SharpShooter. Is that something the installer will calibrate for me when he installs the new dish? Also, since the 5LNB is big, how do they mount at apartments?
Thanks all for the input.

spam firewall