Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NY 5-LNB Install...Anyone?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   randyshull

randyshull

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:31 AM

My 5-LNB system along with the D*HD-Tivo is going to be installed tomorrow. Has anyone in the NY area "upgraded" to the 5-LNB system? How has the quality of the installation company been? I've seen plenty about other areas and their dealings with the install of the new dish; could I be the first in NY?! (God! I hope not!)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ScoB

ScoB

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 11:22 AM

Will hopefully have something to report later today. I am on Long Island, my installer is due between 1-5 today for AT9 and 2 H20 upgrades. The installing company is Halsted Communications (www.needdtv.com). I believe they are the same installers in Westchester County (if you want to know you can call D* and they will give you installers info).

At least it is nice out - full sunshing and about 50 degrees now. Could have been -20 with blowing snow.

#3 OFFLINE   randyshull

randyshull

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 03:24 PM

Will hopefully have something to report later today. I am on Long Island, my installer is due between 1-5 today for AT9 and 2 H20 upgrades. The installing company is Halsted Communications (www.needdtv.com). I believe they are the same installers in Westchester County (if you want to know you can call D* and they will give you installers info).

At least it is nice out - full sunshing and about 50 degrees now. Could have been -20 with blowing snow.

Great! Hope it all goes well. I hope you'll post a full report after the installer leaves.

#4 OFFLINE   ScoB

ScoB

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 05:58 PM

DONE!

My appointment was for between 1-5, they showed at 4:00. I called the installation company (Halsted Communications) at 2:30, they told me to expect installer around 4:30. No problem, they told me the installers cary portable lighting if they would need it and work until the job is complete.

Here is where I got lucky I think - 3 installers came (the other 2 had completed their workload and were to help out my installer). They mounted the new dish on the roof, had the thing aimed and humming in under 30 minutes.

However, as good as they were in getting the hardware hooked up, I knew more about MPEG 4 then they did. I watched them setup the receiver in my main room, they set it to 3lnb dish, not 5 and I questioned them. They told me that MPEG4 was not live yet in NY (I knew they were wrong on that), and that I wouldn't get HD locals on channels 2,4,5 & 7 (only 80,82,86, and 88).

I called D* HD department (800 263-0028) - they told the installer to reset the receiver to 5 lnb dish. In doing so, it comes up with an error message because it does not get a hit off the 99 sat, you have to click on 'continue, fix later' and it completes the set-up. So, I imagine your install will be from the same company, make sure they follow the set up as I just explained.

When you direct tune to channel 2 you get HD, when you scroll up you get channel 2 SD, then 4 HD - then 4 SD and so on for FOX and ABC.

Anyhow, the installers were amazed that I knew more about this than they did, they asked me for the D* HD phone number (see above) because you get right through to a live person (no automated system).

As they only left a short while ago, and I am about to sit for dinner, I have not had a chance to really view the results, but on a quick look - it is fine. BTW, I replaced a Hughes E86 HD box, and the newer Hughes HD HTL box.

THEY DID NOT TAKE THE OLD RECEIVERS WITH THEM! I guess if I get another HD set I am ready to go for a while.

Good luck with yours tomorrow, let me know how it goes.

#5 OFFLINE   randyshull

randyshull

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:56 PM

DONE!

My appointment was for between 1-5, they showed at 4:00. I called the installation company (Halsted Communications) at 2:30, they told me to expect installer around 4:30. No problem, they told me the installers cary portable lighting if they would need it and work until the job is complete.

Here is where I got lucky I think - 3 installers came (the other 2 had completed their workload and were to help out my installer). They mounted the new dish on the roof, had the thing aimed and humming in under 30 minutes.

However, as good as they were in getting the hardware hooked up, I knew more about MPEG 4 then they did. I watched them setup the receiver in my main room, they set it to 3lnb dish, not 5 and I questioned them. They told me that MPEG4 was not live yet in NY (I knew they were wrong on that), and that I wouldn't get HD locals on channels 2,4,5 & 7 (only 80,82,86, and 88).

I called D* HD department (800 263-0028) - they told the installer to reset the receiver to 5 lnb dish. In doing so, it comes up with an error message because it does not get a hit off the 99 sat, you have to click on 'continue, fix later' and it completes the set-up. So, I imagine your install will be from the same company, make sure they follow the set up as I just explained.

When you direct tune to channel 2 you get HD, when you scroll up you get channel 2 SD, then 4 HD - then 4 SD and so on for FOX and ABC.

Anyhow, the installers were amazed that I knew more about this than they did, they asked me for the D* HD phone number (see above) because you get right through to a live person (no automated system).

As they only left a short while ago, and I am about to sit for dinner, I have not had a chance to really view the results, but on a quick look - it is fine. BTW, I replaced a Hughes E86 HD box, and the newer Hughes HD HTL box.

THEY DID NOT TAKE THE OLD RECEIVERS WITH THEM! I guess if I get another HD set I am ready to go for a while.

Good luck with yours tomorrow, let me know how it goes.

Thanks ScoB. I'm really just looking forward to getting the HD Tivo, but getting a jump on the MP4 install is good. Curious to see the quality of the MP4 local quality over the MP2 local quality. Any word from you? Anyone else out there in "NY MPEG 4" land?

#6 OFFLINE   ScoB

ScoB

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:40 PM

I want to take a couple of days before I make my opinion of M-4 vs M-2. I only got it set up tonight, and really have been kind of busy doing some other stuff. If you want an initial opinion (and it is only of NBCE on channel 82 vs. WNBC on channel 4) they are really very similar at a pretty quick glance.

I am not noticing any real audio synch problems with channel 4.

Both of my H20's have already downloaded updated software - took about 15 minutes or so to complete the downloads (which started automatically).

#7 OFFLINE   Jedk1

Jedk1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:33 AM

I live in NY on Long Island in Nassau County. I have the older 3LNB dish. I called DirecTV a couple of weeks ago, and the man said there is no advantage to getting the 5LNB dish and they're not offering it in our area.

I get my locals OTA, so I didn't push it. I figured I would wait.
I have an HD Tivo that works well.

What is the advantage right now?
There is no additional programming yet for us in NY.

Is this true?

JedK

#8 OFFLINE   Stevies3

Stevies3

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:53 AM

"I called D* HD department (800 263-0028) - they told the installer to reset the receiver to 5 lnb dish. In doing so, it comes up with an error message because it does not get a hit off the 99 sat, you have to click on 'continue, fix later' and it completes the set-up. So, I imagine your install will be from the same company, make sure they follow the set up as I just explained."

Can you explain what happend with th error message. Is this normal? Steven

#9 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:32 AM

I'm sure many others are also interested in the comparison between OTA HD vs satellite HD...or heck even if the local SD improved that would be nice.

so please write back when you have time to report :)

#10 OFFLINE   randyshull

randyshull

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:22 AM

I live in NY on Long Island in Nassau County. I have the older 3LNB dish. I called DirecTV a couple of weeks ago, and the man said there is no advantage to getting the 5LNB dish and they're not offering it in our area.

I get my locals OTA, so I didn't push it. I figured I would wait.
I have an HD Tivo that works well.

What is the advantage right now?
There is no additional programming yet for us in NY.

Is this true?

JedK

T
There really is no advantage at the moment for "upgrading" from the 3 to the 5 LNB dish for NY D* customers. Since we already get our "big 4" locals in HD with the 3 LNB dish, there is no change in programming. It has been rumored that D* will be adding NY locals 9, 11 and 13 on the MPEG-4 sats in the future as well as all new HD programming D* adds in the future (TNT-HD?) will also only be on the MPEG-4 birds.

So? Why is it that I'm "upgrading"? Well, I haven't got much of a reason except:

1) I was ordering the HD Tivo and figured that since they were coming out to install it, why not throw up the new dish?
2) I like to buy all the latest stuff and pull my hair out while all the kinks get worked out.
3) I wanted an excuse to take the day off and have the DirecTV installers NOT show up!
4) Wanted to get the new dish installed before the general public finds out about the dish swap then have to wait 4 months to get mine done.

There you have it! It's a half hour till they show up. I'll report back as the day goes on.

#11 OFFLINE   dsanbo

dsanbo

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:20 PM

"I called D* HD department (800 263-0028) - they told the installer to reset the receiver to 5 lnb dish. In doing so, it comes up with an error message because it does not get a hit off the 99 sat, you have to click on 'continue, fix later' and it completes the set-up. So, I imagine your install will be from the same company, make sure they follow the set up as I just explained."

Can you explain what happend with th error message. Is this normal? Steven

Stevies3.....
There is, as yet, no signal available on 99 degrees; this won't be active until Spaceway2 is in place here (probably March '06) and activated. When the AT9 is set up, it looks at transponders on 99, 101, 103, 110 and 119; right now, there are only a few (10 or 12, I think) transponders active on 103....others will come on as needed.
The short....yes, the "ERROR" on 99 IS normal....just hit "Continue- Fix Later", as mentioned.....

#12 OFFLINE   Stevies3

Stevies3

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 January 2006 - 01:03 PM

Hi,
Thank you for the reply. I was planning on doing my own install. Just wanted to make sure of any hick-ups. What you say makes complete sense. Steven

#13 OFFLINE   ScoB

ScoB

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 03:17 PM

JedK:
I live on Long Island also, and as I posted, I had the new 5lnb dish installed yesterday, along with 2 H20 receivers. If you called DirecTV before 12/28, they would have told you they were not available in NY. They are now I assure you.

As far as immediate advantages? None today as far as additional programming. HOWEVER, there is already an over 3 week wait for installation if you were to call today and have them upgrade you. I am willing to bet that the very day they add even 1 additional MPEG4 channel (that's not available on MPEG2) - the phones at D* will RING OFF THE HOOK - how long would you have to wait to get installed then?

So, my advantage - I am ready now for whenever they are ready. Since they gave me EVERYTHING for FREE, why wait? If I was you I would call and get the upgrade before the mad rush (I have no HD channel rollout facts, just that everyone is expecting something this quarter). If you call today you wouldn't even get installed until February anyhow.

#14 OFFLINE   randyshull

randyshull

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 06:49 PM

DAMN! I must have jinxed myself! If you read my post above and direct yourself to the number 3 reason why I decided to "upgrade" to the 5-LNB dish you will find that I wasn't far off!

My install was from 1 to 5. The tech showed up at 3, I showed him the situation, he told me that he didn't have the 5-LNB dish! WTF! He then told me that he was going back to the warehouse to get the dish and he would be back in an hour. I was fairly sure that I wasn't going to see him again today. He calls me an hour and a half later to tell me that it's to dark to do the install!!! DUH! Didn't he realize that 3:30 pm plus one hour = 4:30?! Sunset was at 4:47!!!

Sorry for my rant but I'm still a bit pissed since I took the day off from work and now they can't come back till Friday morning and I'll have to take another day off.

Anyway, I did call D* and complained that I'm now taking two days off work and they gave me two months credit.

Can't wait till Friday....

#15 OFFLINE   ScoB

ScoB

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 07:04 PM

What installation company is it? Let others know so they hopefully don't get in the same boat. I can't understand how they could have 'forgotten' your dish.

If you don't know now, make sure you ask when they come back, or you can call D* back and they will give you the installling companies phone number.

The company that did mine (Halsted Communications) told me that their installers will work as late as 7pm to complete installs, and that on their trucks they carry appropriate portable lighting should they need it

#16 OFFLINE   randyshull

randyshull

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 07:15 PM

Same as your's! Halsted!

#17 OFFLINE   ScoB

ScoB

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 08:20 AM

You have more patience than me (maybe not a bad thing). If your care to, re-read my posting from the day of my install.

I called Halsted's main office around 2:30, they assured me that the guys carry enough lighting to work in the dark, etc. I can't figure out why they told you what they did.

In case you want to call them to let them know what happened yesterday, or even just to make sure they get there early and have all the right stuff - their main number is 866 349-6934. I got my best results when I did not press 2 as the prompt but let it automatically roll into someone.

good luck

#18 OFFLINE   randyshull

randyshull

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 07:14 AM

Just got a call from the installer, he's 20 min. away. Lets try this again....

ScoB, any reviews on the quality of what you see yet?

#19 OFFLINE   Jedk1

Jedk1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 08:37 AM

Since they gave me EVERYTHING for FREE, why wait?

RandyShull,

I called D*.
First I just called Customer Service, and the woman there said, "How did you hear about this? Did you get the mailer?". I said, "Yeah!". She said there is no promotion, and they're not doing upgrades.

Then I remembered that you called the HD Department, so I scrolled up and got that number from your earlier posts.
I got through, and the woman there said, there is a promotion but it's not free. She said it's $99, and it's always been $99. She said the promotion started November 2005.

So, Randyshull
How did you get it for Free? I think I'm going to do it anyway, but Free is always nicer than paying $100.

Thanks,
JedK

#20 OFFLINE   randyshull

randyshull

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 09:05 AM

Well it wasn't exactly free. I am paying the $15 shipping and handling fee. I don't know exactly why they still want to charge you $99? Perhaps it’s because I've been with D* since 1994? Maybe it’s because I spend X number of dollars a month with them? I'm not quite sure. If you've been with D* for some time, perhaps you can ask to speak with a Customer Retention rep. and see what they say. Good luck.

spam firewall