Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Why can't existing customers lease a HD PVR?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kingdaddy

kingdaddy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 04:12 PM

I’m told that I will always be an existing customer and can never lease a 921, 922 HD PVR, no explanation given by the customer service rep (3 different ones).

When the new HD PVR comes out can I lese it for the $249, or is it $299, anyway I want to lease a HD PVR is there any way I can or will I always be the stepchild to dish because I'm an existing customer?:confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Cokeswigga

Cokeswigga

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 04:40 PM

I’m told that I will always be an existing customer and can never lease a 921, 922 HD PVR, no explanation given by the customer service rep (3 different ones).

When the new HD PVR comes out can I lese it for the $249, or is it $299, anyway I want to lease a HD PVR is there any way I can or will I always be the stepchild to dish because I'm an existing customer?:confused:

According to Charlie Chat you can lease a 622,
At least that was my understanding

#3 OFFLINE   BFG

BFG

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 04:42 PM

yes anyone will be able to lease a 622 for a $299 upgrade fee.

#4 OFFLINE   kingdaddy

kingdaddy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 04:50 PM

yes anyone will be able to lease a 622 for a $299 upgrade fee.

So their changing there stance on existing customers? :confused:

Wonder why?

Doubt there is any point in calling dish to confirm this, they rarely know anything but the word NO.:)

Is there anyone else that can confirm this, I would like to be sure so when I call and get one of those CS reps that sound like the capitol one commercial so I can have some intelligent facts to respond with. In addition, when can I do this, is it still April 1st, and does that have anything to do with April Fools?

#5 OFFLINE   kingdaddy

kingdaddy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 05:15 PM

Well i cant post the url since I'm new, but this site plainly states that only new customers will be able to lease the vip622.

cnet.com/4831-11405_1-6414582.html?tag=ltstimg

Just add www

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,415 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 January 2006 - 05:19 PM

Can't speak to past practices... but according to what I've read about CES and seeing the Charlie Chat Monday... they are going to stop making all of their other receivers... so very soon there will only be ViP211 and ViP222 (single and dual tuner non-DVRs) and then ViP622 dual-tuner-DVR.

So... they pretty much have to let existing and new customers lease these or they couldn't get us to pay for new MPEG4 programming in the near future... so by their own design they are force to let everyone lease these.

Perhaps in the future the next generation of DVRs they might not make those leasable to existing customers per their old stance, but for now they actually have to do this.

#7 OFFLINE   olgeezer

olgeezer

• Registered
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 05:21 PM

That program was just announced on a "Charlie Chat" last night and won't be posted until a week or so (and CSRs may not know about it until June:D). They did mention that there would be a site up for HD lovers. This is a guess--
www.disnetwork.com/HD

#8 OFFLINE   dave1234

dave1234

Icon

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 05:29 PM

Well i cant post the url since I'm new, but this site plainly states that only new customers will be able to lease the vip622.

cnet.com/4831-11405_1-6414582.html?tag=ltstimg

Just add www

The post also plainly stated exsisting customer upgrade paths would be announced on Mondays Charlie Chat.

#9 OFFLINE   kingdaddy

kingdaddy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 05:35 PM

So... they pretty much have to let existing and new customers lease these or they couldn't get us to pay for new MPEG4 programming in the near future... so by their own design they are force to let everyone lease these.

I wouldn’t count on them to be logical, they weren’t in the past, no reason to stop existing customers from leasing a 921 or 922 but they did anyway. Its possible that they will just tell me to buy if I want a HD PVR, which is what they are telling me now.

I really hate companies that treat existing customers different then new ones, very poor business model. If I cant get a HD PVR soon I will give up and go back to Direct TV just out of spite, then go back to Dish and get free install, and do this over and over untill I cost them so much they will black ball me forever.:mad:

#10 OFFLINE   rfowkes

rfowkes

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 06:12 PM

I wouldn’t count on them to be logical, they weren’t in the past, no reason to stop existing customers from leasing a 921 or 922 but they did anyway. Its possible that they will just tell me to buy if I want a HD PVR, which is what they are telling me now.

I really hate companies that treat existing customers different then new ones, very poor business model. If I cant get a HD PVR soon I will give up and go back to Direct TV just out of spite, then go back to Dish and get free install, and do this over and over untill I cost them so much they will black ball me forever.:mad:

Well, the only one you would be spiting is yourself. A D* HD DVR is, I believe, more expensive at $399 and you won't have the same number of HD stations as E*.

While I totally sympathize with your feelings on companies treating existing and new customers differently once they have you in their ranks I believe yesterday's chat showed a change in E* policy. I was forced to buy my 942 HD DVR because I was an "existing" customer and couldn't lease a while back but now we are all being treated equally. I don't think it's because E* has suddenly decided to be "good guys" but because with MPEG4 coming they really have no other options.

My 2 cents.
-RAF-

DVR-HD #1: ViP622 | S/W L447RJKD-N | Bootstrap 1711RBDD
DVR-HD #2: ViP622 | S/W L447RBDD-N | Bootstrap 1711RBDD
DVR-HD #3: ViP622 | S/W L447RJKD-N | Bootstrap 1710RBDD
DVR-HD #4: Vip722 | S/W L447RJKD-N | Bootstrap 1715RJKD
USB 2.0 external drives: Two Western Digital "My Book" Essentials 500 gigabytes each
PocketDish AV700E

My Web Site

#11 OFFLINE   navychop

navychop

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 07:58 PM

The article says they are offering it to new customers (the lease). It does NOT say it is not offered to current subs. It is.

#12 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,415 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:00 PM

In the past I wouldn't count on logic either :)

But given the decision they have just made about MPEG4 and wanting to force as many folks, with enticing upgrade offers, to convert... and per the Charlie Chat last night... the new models (including ViP622 HD-DVR) are available to new and old customers alike.

At this point, if I were you, I wouldn't want a 921 or 942 anyway given the MPEG4 cutover... and would actually be happy they aren't letting me lease one of those since I'd have to upgrade again if I wanted all the possible channels coming.

But, I suspect that future models will be more like their past offerings in that maybe the next generation of receivers after these may have new-customer-only lease offers as in the past.

Why? I dunno... the only "good" part of the current direction change is that it really does force them to make them available to all of us because it is in their best interest for us to upgrade now for a small fee rather than maybe 2 years from now they have to replace us for free or lose us to a competitor.

#13 OFFLINE   Tom in TX

Tom in TX

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:26 PM

But, I suspect that future models will be more like their past offerings in that maybe the next generation of receivers after these may have new-customer-only lease offers as in the past.

I thought "speculation" was not wanted in this forum. You said that people might read the guesses, and actually put their faith into those guesses, only to be dissapointed. You really should not speculate, if you tell others not to!!:)
Tom in TX

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,200 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:49 PM

I thought "speculation" was not wanted in this forum.

What was said was that we can speculate quite fine on our own - thank-you-very-much - and didn't need imported speculation (if that is what you were referring to).

JL

#15 OFFLINE   kingdaddy

kingdaddy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:03 PM

So I take it that we still don’t know exactly when or if they will allow leasing for the new vip622. When is more important obviously.

#16 OFFLINE   Rogueone

Rogueone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:17 PM

vip622 at $299 is a lease, or at $99 after April 1 for current HD DVR subs.

buying it is an option of course, I think i've seen it suggested that retail would be something on order of $699.

Feb 1 (when I called Dish but may be off a little bit knowing them hehe) is when we are suppose to be able to start ordering 622's at $299 as an upgrade from any other receiver. Then on 4/1 there will be a $200 discount for current HD subs.

"Lease ViP622 HD Receiver (from ANY receiver)
Promotional Price to New and Existing Customers: $299
Includes install and dish if applicable

HD to HD Upgrade Offers
Lease ViP211 HD Receiver (from 811)
Lease Upgrade Fee: $0
Professional Install: $49 (everything needed)
Total Upgrade Price: $49
(If swapping requires return of existing receiver)

Lease ViP622 HD receiver (from 921 or 942)
Special Rebate: $200 (available starting April 1st - Don't call in March!)
Total Upgrade Price: $99

www.dishnetwork.com/HD"
Regards,

RogueOne
Dish VIP622, 4/4/06; ex 921 owner, 2/04 to 3/06
Dish 501 (soon to upgrade to 722) :D
HD OTA (Washington DC): WRC-DT 1&2, WTTG-DT, WJLA-DT 1&2, WUSA-DT 1&2, WETA-DT 1-4, WBDC-DT 1&2, MHz 1-4, ION 1-7, WDCA-DT, and others i don't care about

#17 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,415 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:44 PM

I thought "speculation" was not wanted in this forum. You said that people might read the guesses, and actually put their faith into those guesses, only to be dissapointed. You really should not speculate, if you tell others not to!!:)
Tom in TX

I don't believe I ever told other people not to speculate or even guess or post opinions. I have no place to do such a thing!

What I have said, is that people who post information claiming that they got the information from "a reliable source" or "someone who told me not to say" or "I spoke with Charlie at a water fountain and he said this"... and/or posting information and/or links claiming that their rumor is substantiated by facts that they cannot reveal... are sometimes misleading people and getting people into an uproar over things that may or may not be true.

ANY speculation I post is purely speculation on my part, and based on no secret contacts internal to Dish or otherwise... nor do I claim to have any secret knowledge or contact nor do I encourage others to get mad or believe anything I say is anything but my opinion.

I could be wrong, so I wouldn't want people to get carried away thinking something I post was a secret fact yet to be released to the public... hence the use of words like "seems" "in my opinion" "maybe" "perhaps" and so forth.

:)

#18 OFFLINE   Tom in TX

Tom in TX

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:03 AM

ANY speculation I post is purely speculation on my part, and based on no secret contacts internal to Dish or otherwise... nor do I claim to have any secret knowledge or contact nor do I encourage others to get mad or believe anything I say is anything but my opinion.
:)

Okay - I understand, thanks.
Tom in TX

#19 OFFLINE   kingdaddy

kingdaddy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:04 AM

vip622 at $299 is a lease, or at $99 after April 1 for current HD DVR subs.

buying it is an option of course, I think i've seen it suggested that retail would be something on order of $699.

Feb 1 (when I called Dish but may be off a little bit knowing them hehe) is when we are suppose to be able to start ordering 622's at $299 as an upgrade from any other receiver. Then on 4/1 there will be a $200 discount for current HD subs.

"Lease ViP622 HD Receiver (from ANY receiver)

HD to HD Upgrade Offers
Lease ViP211 HD Receiver (from 811)
Lease Upgrade Fee: $0
Professional Install: $49 (everything needed)
Total Upgrade Price: $49
(If swapping requires return of existing receiver)

Lease ViP622 HD receiver (from 921 or 942)
Special Rebate: $200 (available starting April 1st - Don't call in March!)
Total Upgrade Price: $99

www.dishnetwork.com/HD"

Can I take this to the bank?

#20 OFFLINE   Rogueone

Rogueone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 03:38 PM

the " " part was pasted from the thread elsewhere which was a transcript from the charlie chat.
Regards,

RogueOne
Dish VIP622, 4/4/06; ex 921 owner, 2/04 to 3/06
Dish 501 (soon to upgrade to 722) :D
HD OTA (Washington DC): WRC-DT 1&2, WTTG-DT, WJLA-DT 1&2, WUSA-DT 1&2, WETA-DT 1-4, WBDC-DT 1&2, MHz 1-4, ION 1-7, WDCA-DT, and others i don't care about

spam firewall