Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Coax Question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RNP

RNP

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:16 AM

Can I use the new RG6 QUAD COAX?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,857 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:43 AM

D* specifies solid copper center conductor for the new HD dish installations. Some quad shield RG6 may have that while some may not. I used quad shield RG6 for all the wiring in my house due to very strong local tv station interference, however it does not meet the new requirements because it is not solid copper core. (But I am not using the new dish either.)
-
For most installations, quad shield is not needed. If you do need it, and plan to go with the AT9 dish, make sure you get solid copper core. How much difference that will make in actual usage I don't know, but you should at least plan to meet the spec requirement.
-
Carl

#3 OFFLINE   dsanbo

dsanbo

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:35 PM

D* specifies solid copper center conductor for the new HD dish installations. Some quad shield RG6 may have that while some may not. I used quad shield RG6 for all the wiring in my house due to very strong local tv station interference, however it does not meet the new requirements because it is not solid copper core. (But I am not using the new dish either.)
-
For most installations, quad shield is not needed. If you do need it, and plan to go with the AT9 dish, make sure you get solid copper core. How much difference that will make in actual usage I don't know, but you should at least plan to meet the spec requirement.
-
Carl

The crew that did my AT9 install said if the coax run is less than 100', there should be no problem using copper-clad steel....but....solid copper IS the best choice if installing new....(I lucked out....the existing runs I have are solid copper.....)

#4 OFFLINE   RNP

RNP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:08 PM

You can get copper core RG-6 QUAD coax cable and the gold compression ends made by Z for this coax at L

#5 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 03:02 AM

Sorry for this qeustion. I know RS, CC, and BB, but "Z" and "L"? A little help, please?

#6 OFFLINE   greywolf

greywolf

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 08:12 AM

Zenith, Lowes.

#7 OFFLINE   RCKYMTN

RCKYMTN

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 01:44 PM

The crew that did my AT9 install said if the coax run is less than 100', there should be no problem using copper-clad steel....but....solid copper IS the best choice if installing new....(I lucked out....the existing runs I have are solid copper.....)

So how do you know if you have the solid copper cable? I have the RG-6, but not sure?? And is the solid copper cable absolutely necessary for the AT9 dish, or are people getting by with existing RG6 that may not be the solid copper.

thanks..

#8 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,857 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 14 January 2006 - 02:29 PM

DirecTV specifies the solid copper.
-
I'm sure that copper covered steel will work just fine in many, if not most, situations. If you are doing the upgrade to HD yourself, you have to make your decision. If DirecTV is doing the upgrade, the installer is supposed to run solid copper. I'm sure some will avoid doing so if they can get away with it.
-
One person suggested using a magnet to check the center conductor. If it is copper covered steel, the magnet will stick.
-
Carl

#9 OFFLINE   dsanbo

dsanbo

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 04:26 PM

So how do you know if you have the solid copper cable? I have the RG-6, but not sure?? And is the solid copper cable absolutely necessary for the AT9 dish, or are people getting by with existing RG6 that may not be the solid copper.

thanks..

The copper-clad steel is an acceptable alternative to solid copper if the run is around 100' or less (and good compression fittings are used). I used the magnet "trick" with a scrap piece of the original RG/6 I found after the (original) installer left....;)

#10 OFFLINE   greywolf

greywolf

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 05:13 PM

I have a magnet taken from an old hard drive. The thing is amazing. I went to Lowe's and the big cable rolls were plastic wrapped. The magnet fell off the Zenith RG6 QS 250' roll and the 250' Magnavox RG6 with messenger roll. The messenger wire must be bronze. It stuck to everything else even through the dielectric as long as the entire area of the magnet was on cable.

#11 OFFLINE   RCKYMTN

RCKYMTN

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 08:30 PM

Thanks for the input.., sounds like I should be ok. I think my RG6 is the steel coated type, but the longest run I have would be 100' feet max.

Thanks again, gives me some comfort knowing I won't have to re-wire when I go with the AT9 dish and keep my existing RG 6 cabling..

#12 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,718 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 15 January 2006 - 09:23 PM

The copper-clad steel is an acceptable alternative to solid copper if the run is around 100' or less (and good compression fittings are used). I used the magnet "trick" with a scrap piece of the original RG/6 I found after the (original) installer left....;)

Can you please elaborate on this a bit. What exactly do you do with the magnet, what is the magnet "trick"? Thanks.

#13 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,857 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 15 January 2006 - 09:31 PM

Can you please elaborate on this a bit. What exactly do you do with the magnet, what is the magnet "trick"? Thanks.

See post #8 above.

Carl

#14 OFFLINE   greywolf

greywolf

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:17 AM

Or #10.

#15 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,718 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:21 AM

Ok so if the magnet sticks its ok to use that type of cable??

#16 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,857 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:27 AM

Ok so if the magnet sticks its ok to use that type of cable??

Just the opposite. If the magnet sticks, you have copper covered steel. If the magnet does not stick, you have all copper (well, actually all it really means is you don't have steel).

And to give credit where it is due, I believe it was Greywolf who originally suggested the magnet trick.

Carl

#17 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,718 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:57 AM

Just the opposite. If the magnet sticks, you have copper covered steel. If the magnet does not stick, you have all copper (well, actually all it really means is you don't have steel).

And to give credit where it is due, I believe it was Greywolf who originally suggested the magnet trick.

Carl

And all copper is good and that is what you want to use?

Ok, I got its now, just a little slow here. :D

#18 OFFLINE   AllieVi

AllieVi

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 01:57 PM

An easy way to tell the difference is to expose a bit of the center conductor. A copper wire will bend easily with your fingers. Copper coated steel will not.
AllieVi

For good reason, I never criticize someone until I've walked a mile in their shoes. If they don't like what I say, what're they gonna' do? I'm a mile away. And they have no shoes!

#19 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,718 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 16 January 2006 - 04:39 PM

An easy way to tell the difference is to expose a bit of the center conductor. A copper wire will bend easily with your fingers. Copper coated steel will not.

How easy will it bend? :D

What do the cable co's usually use? I just tried to bend a piece of coax from the cable co and it didn't bend that easy.

#20 OFFLINE   AllieVi

AllieVi

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 05:48 PM

How easy will it bend? :D

Very easy. You won't feel much resistance.

What do the cable co's usually use? I just tried to bend a piece of coax from the cable co and it didn't bend that easy.

Cable companies usually (always?) use copper-coated steel. It has significant advantages as far as the cable company is concerned. They need to pull long sections of cable through conduits. Steel withstands the stress without stretching. A solid copper wire might permanently stretch, causing its diameter to decrease. It's important that the diameter of that conductor be what it was when manufactured for the cable to perform properly (i.e., have a 75-ohm characteristic impedance).

For people installing cables in their own home, that's not a big concern. I did all my own wiring and used quad-shield solid copper RG-6 cables everywhere. The only downside I see is a more expensive installation.
AllieVi

For good reason, I never criticize someone until I've walked a mile in their shoes. If they don't like what I say, what're they gonna' do? I'm a mile away. And they have no shoes!

spam firewall