Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Noobie question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HarleyBC

HarleyBC

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:26 AM

Hello all.

I am new to the forum, and currently a dish customer. I am very interested in switching over to D* with their current HD DVR promotion. My concern is that I will be shelling out $400 for the DVR, and not knowing what the price to upgrade will be once the new DVR comes out. Also, I thought I read somewhere that the new HD DVR HR20's are out in some markets, so is it possible that being in Dallas I would get one of the newer units?

And finally, with a new install would I receive the 5LNB sattelite, or is that something else that will need to be upgraded a few months down the road?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Beth88

Beth88

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:20 AM

unless you absolutely have to be on the cutting edg of HD...hold off the purchase of an hd dvr until the hd20-250's come out in yr area. the current hd dvr will not convert with the 5 lnb dish-not sure if any upgrade is gonna resolve or if there will be an equip swap when they become avail in yr area. the hr20 250 is the only mpeg 4 dvr out that will work with the 5 lnb dish. And, yes, with an upgrade the 5 lnb will be installed, as long as lcls are avail in hd in yr area-if not, u may get the 3 lnb until then...hope this helps :)

#3 OFFLINE   HarleyBC

HarleyBC

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:14 AM

well that is another question that D* does not seem to be able to answer. I talked to someone last night and they said that they might be available in my area, but there was no way to ensure that when the tech comes to install that it will be the HR20.

#4 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 591 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:14 AM

If you live in an area where you can receive your local channels in HD from an antenna, I would get the HR10-250 now. Otherwise, since the DirecTV HD channels are limited at this time, I would wait.
If you get the HR10-250, it will probably be installed with the 3 LNB dish, but the HR10-250 will work with either the 3 LNB or the 5 LNB dish. However, you will not be able to view any of the new MPEG4 channels. The HR20-250 will require a 5 LNB dish in order to view the MPEG4 channels.
It appears the HR20-250 will not be available until second quarter 2006.

#5 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 01:51 PM

HarleyBC,

Please note what bpratt said at the end of his post. Any units you would be able to get now that handle MPEG4 would be the H20, which is an HD receiver, not a DVR. The new model HD DVR's from D* (HR20) is not currently available anywhere, the current HD DVR is the HR10-250. Should you get that, they would more than likely install the 3LNB dish, which is what you need for that unit.

Unfortunately, I have not seen any concrete information as to a swap out of the HR10-250 for the new HR20, so I can't advise there.

Good Luck on whatever you decide to do. And Welcome to DBSTalk!

#6 OFFLINE   HarleyBC

HarleyBC

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 03:32 PM

HarleyBC,

Please note what bpratt said at the end of his post. Any units you would be able to get now that handle MPEG4 would be the H20, which is an HD receiver, not a DVR. The new model HD DVR's from D* (HR20) is not currently available anywhere, the current HD DVR is the HR10-250. Should you get that, they would more than likely install the 3LNB dish, which is what you need for that unit.

Unfortunately, I have not seen any concrete information as to a swap out of the HR10-250 for the new HR20, so I can't advise there.

Good Luck on whatever you decide to do. And Welcome to DBSTalk!

Thanks for the info! I guess the biggest thing to consider is paying the $400, and then having to pay more for a potential upgrade down the road.

But from what I gather from everyone's replies is that switching now would be ok given that I have an OTA antenna in which I receive my local channels in HD.

Is there anything else I should consider??

Thanks again.

#7 OFFLINE   jdknocks

jdknocks

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 03:57 PM

Thanks for the info! I guess the biggest thing to consider is paying the $400, and then having to pay more for a potential upgrade down the road.

But from what I gather from everyone's replies is that switching now would be ok given that I have an OTA antenna in which I receive my local channels in HD.

Is there anything else I should consider??

Thanks again.

I was able to purchase my HR10-250 directly from the retention department for $199 a month ago. Now with you being a new customer they may not do that. You have to get lucky on the right person answering the phone and play hard with them. Many varities of OTA antenna's out there, the model you will need will be based on how far away the antenna's are from you and how clear your view would be. I'm using the Terk clamp on at about 30 miles and so far so good!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...