Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

About to upgrade to HD, MPEG 4 questions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
No replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jmarks2001

jmarks2001

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:19 PM

I normally post over at TivoCommunity.com (and I posted this there too), but seeing as it kind of deals with DirecTV's new non-Tivo DVR, I thought it might be a little off-topic over there. Here goes...

As a longtime D* customer who's been thinking about taking the HD plunge, all this MPEG2 to MPEG4 stuff is confusing me. I currently have a to DTivo setup (bedroom only has one tuner active). Since I'd be replacing the TV in my living room, I thought it would just be a matter of a) upgrading to the elliptical dish, and B) upgrading my receiver to the HR10-250.

What complicates matters is that I'm a little less than honest to DTV about where I live as it gives me the local and sports programming I want (originally I did it just to get locals, but after they started offering my locals, I didn't want to give up the sports).

I'm in a relatively small market, but D* thinks I'm in NJ (NY market). If I have to have them come out to do an installation/upgrade, I'll change my address with them ahead of time (like I did when I got them to upgrade me to a DTivo for free), then change it back later. So in order to get NY Locals and Sports and get the maximum amount of HD content without the hassle of multiple installations (which means changing my address 4 times instead of 2), I should probably wait until the HR20 is released.

Couple questions though:

1) Seeing as I'm not in an MPEG4 area, will they set me up with the right dish? The dish is different (and pointed different) than the current ellipticals receiving the MPEG2 signal, right?

2) Will locals be spot-beamed? Will I even be able to get the NY locals if I'm several hundred miles south of the tri-state area?

3) Is there any other national HD content (TBS,TNT,USA,etc.) that will be immediately available with MPEG4 (that's not available with MPEG2).

4) If I opt for the HR10-250 while it's still available, will I be set for a while? I know I'll be okay for locals, since NY HD locals are already available in MPEG2. But what about other HD content. Will I miss out on stuff that gets rolled out in MPEG4, but not in MPEG2? Or is the plan to use the MPEG4 signal for the 1500 locals, and not much else?

Answers to these questions and any other information will be greatly appreciated. Oh, and if I'm completely off-base about something, please tell me.

Thanks in advance!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...