Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What Is Mpeg4?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cardpetree

cardpetree

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:33 PM

Can one of u veterans please explain what MPEG4 is, and help out with some of the lingo like OTA, and other things that I have know idea what you're talking about.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jmarks2001

jmarks2001

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:37 PM

I'm hardly a veteran, but MPEG4 is a more advanced compression scheme that, in the case of satellite tv, allows the same amount of data to be sent (as MPEG2 for instance), but using less bandwidth. This requires hardware on the other end of the transmission (your satellite receiver) to be able decode the MPEG4 encryption.

OTA = Over the Air. Simply put, its the traditional method of receiving television and radio broadcasts (as opposed to cable or satellite).

#3 OFFLINE   cardpetree

cardpetree

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:44 PM

I'm hardly a veteran, but MPEG4 is a more advanced compression scheme that, in the case of satellite tv, allows the same amount of data to be sent (as MPEG2 for instance), but using less bandwidth. This requires hardware on the other end of the transmission (your satellite receiver) to be able decode the MPEG4 encryption.

OTA = Over the Air. Simply put, its the traditional method of receiving television and radio broadcasts (as opposed to cable or satellite).

What is the advantage? Should I be upgrading from my original samsung HD receiver and why?

#4 OFFLINE   olgeezer

olgeezer

• Registered
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:55 PM

What is the advantage? Should I be upgrading from my original samsung HD receiver and why?

Does your Samsung HD receiver pick up channels from anywhere other than an antenna?

#5 OFFLINE   cardpetree

cardpetree

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:58 PM

Does your Samsung HD receiver pick up channels from anywhere other than an antenna?

I have DirecTV w/HD package and I get regular locals on sat and some local HD channels w/antenna.

#6 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 11 January 2006 - 03:15 PM

At a bare minimum, you dont have to worry about MPEG4 at all until D* starts offering other national HD channels in MPEG4 only or until your locals are offered in HD whcih will almost certainly be MPEG4. Until then, based on the current info here that I have read, there is no reason to worry or even be concerned with MPEG4....Louisville is like #50 DMA so its'll be awhile b4 they get around to you for that...If they start adding new national HD's that require MPEG4 capable equipment, since you are already an HD customer, they will undoubtedly let you know...

#7 OFFLINE   cardpetree

cardpetree

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 03:21 PM

At a bare minimum, you dont have to worry about MPEG4 at all until D* starts offering other national HD channels in MPEG4 only or until your locals are offered in HD whcih will almost certainly be MPEG4. Until then, based on the current info here that I have read, there is no reason to worry or even be concerned with MPEG4....Louisville is like #50 DMA so its'll be awhile b4 they get around to you for that...If they start adding new national HD's that require MPEG4 capable equipment, since you are already an HD customer, they will undoubtedly let you know...

Is there anything besides a D* HD DVR Tivo that I should upgrade to? Anybody know why CBSHD would work the whole summer and as soon as Fall comes around it just completely stops coming in?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...