Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How many DISH receivers can you have?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jdolezar

jdolezar

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 06:19 PM

I'm new to DISH -- just signed up today with a great bundle package deal through my new phone comapny -- and am perplexed by something. The gal I talked to on the phone made it sound like you can have only four TVs hooked up to DISH service.

We're going to do the 942 on our Panasonic plasma in the family room and the LCD in my home office and a 625 upstairs for our master bedroom TV and kids' playroom TV.

So can I really not get another receiver to hook up a fifth TV? I'm confused and know that DirecTV you can have as many receivers as you want, so someone please help!

Thanks a bunch in advance for your assistance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 06:52 PM

Six receivers for a residential account. I've read that some have exceeded this but with no detail. Perhaps buying another residential account or going to a business account is their solution?

Your CSR may have been thinking of a four room promotion?

#3 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 11 January 2006 - 06:56 PM

4 receivers if you lease, 6 if you OWN some.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#4 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 07:25 PM

Be sure and hook up that phone line to all of them.

#5 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 03:20 AM

4 receivers if you lease, 6 if you OWN some.

Actually it's four leased TUNERS not receivers.
You can own up to 6 receivers even if they would all be dual tuner models.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#6 OFFLINE   stonecold

stonecold

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 583 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 09:16 AM

The real answer is you can never have enough recievers.

#7 OFFLINE   Nightlife1970

Nightlife1970

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:21 AM

You can get 4 tv's on the lease deal.

A residential account can have 6 receivers but the customer will have to buy the additional hardware. So you could run up to 12 seperate tv's (using dual tuner receivers) if you wanted to buy the extra equipment and pay to have it installed.

If you wanted to run 5 tv's on your system you could just mirror two of the tv's. Do you really need 5 seperate channels?

#8 OFFLINE   AllieVi

AllieVi

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:32 AM

Clarification - while there is a limit to the number of receivers on a DISH account (6, as I recall), there is no limit to the number of TV's that can be in use. As Nightlife suggested, many TV's can be connected to the output of a single receiver. The major limitation is that all those TV's will be watching the same program.

Here's an example of what's possible. Like some others, I have a whole house distribution system that allows the output of my three receivers (and many other sources) to be viewed from any of my dozen or so TV's. The only TV that has a receiver near it is the main TV. It's there so that I can use the highest quality connection.

The other receivers are in a closet that is the hub of the distribution system. All the outputs are modulated onto standard broadcast channels. TV tuners throughout the house can then be used to select a particular receiver. Spare remotes at each TV allow control of the receivers since DISH uses RF technology in its remotes (i.e., they work through walls).
AllieVi

For good reason, I never criticize someone until I've walked a mile in their shoes. If they don't like what I say, what're they gonna' do? I'm a mile away. And they have no shoes!

spam firewall