Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Positive experience with Mast___

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   shadco

shadco

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 08:57 AM

Positive experience with Mastec??

For the most part. Other than scheduling anyway. D* set me up with a morning install slot for yesterday. about 10 I get a call from their (Mastec/Advanced Technology) office saying their guy is running a little late I should see him around 11:30. About 20 minutes later the installer calls me to say that they have buried him with morning jobs I was 6th on the list. He says he will be there about 3:30 to 4:00 and not to worry that he will get er done. I say OK then I'm going out to take care of some other things and that I will see him then. He says if anything changes he'll call my cell to let me know if he'll get there any earlier.

3:20 rolls around he calls my cell to say he's leaving his last job and will be there soon. As soon as he hangs up it starts to pour down rain. He rolls up about 3:50 in a nice shiny D* logo'd van 2 guys roll out dressed up in nice D* logo'd rain gear take one look up at the sky and say we'll give it a shot even though it's pouring.

He survey's the site and informs me he will have to change the dish location due to trees, I was concerned but he said I'll do it right. Up on the roof he goes with the masts for dish and antenna while his helper assembles the dish and antenna in one of my garage bays.

THe crew leader comes back down to review the new locations for everything and comments about the rotten job the previous installer had done. I OK the new locations and he's up on the roof for about half an hour installing everything and replacing the original cables. He did a very thorough job and his cable runs were tidy and well secured.

These guys were well equiped with meters for antenna and dish aiming and all the bit's and pieces required to do a nice job.

The helper replaces the Tivo unit and the crew leader goes into the crawl space and replaces my old trunkline multiswitch with a 5x8 Zinwell.

Then it's time to power it up. 95+ on the 3 satellites and at or near the 90's on the OTA Antenna.

They clean up and are rolling out of the driveway in less than 2 hours.

Needless to say both were tipped well.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   redskin9

redskin9

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:24 AM

Suggest that you play the lottery while your luck is running so good :) I'm glad to hear that yours was a positive experience with MASTEC. Lots of others haven't been so fortunate as you can read in many postings. Keep us informed.

#3 OFFLINE   shadco

shadco

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:38 AM

Suggest that you play the lottery while your luck is running so good :) I'm glad to hear that yours was a positive experience with MASTEC. Lots of others haven't been so fortunate as you can read in many postings. Keep us informed.

Can you rcommend any numbers?? I'd settle for a big crowd at Redskin Park early Sunday AM.

#4 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:46 AM

I can't say I have any complaints either. They were subs, not in a D* van. Couple of frustrating scheduling things, nothing to burst a vein over though.
Keep pluggin Redskin9.
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#5 OFFLINE   redskin9

redskin9

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 12:30 PM

Can you rcommend any numbers?? I'd settle for a big crowd at Redskin Park early Sunday AM.

I wouldn't bet the farm on it but you could try :

7- For the Skins 7th straight victory.
9- In honor of Sonny.
17- For the pts scored by Seattle last time they lost.
20- For the pts they gave up.
33- In honor of Sammy Baugh who still holds the single season
record for punting @ 49.5 yards average per punt.
99- Because Shaun won't get a 100 against the Skins.

HAIL SKINS !!!!

Now if my signal levels just hold up for the game :)

#6 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 02:33 PM

I wouldn't bet the farm on it but you could try :

7- For the Skins 7th straight victory.
9- In honor of Sonny.
17- For the pts scored by Seattle last time they lost.
20- For the pts they gave up.
33- In honor of Sammy Baugh who still holds the single season
record for punting @ 49.5 yards average per punt.
99- Because Shaun won't get a 100 against the Skins.

HAIL SKINS !!!!

Now if my signal levels just hold up for the game :)

Shall a massive storm give you "Rain Fade" so you can't watch the game.:lol:

AT9 to SWM16

#7 OFFLINE   shadco

shadco

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 02:46 PM

Forcast

Mostly Cloudy/Windy

High: 38°
Low: 31°

:D

#8 OFFLINE   redskin9

redskin9

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 03:14 PM

You don't have to be a hater because your teams at home watching us .:lol::lol: :lol:
Besides which I still have the OTA backup. You didn't think that I was going to trust the "Professional Installation" that was provided did you? If all else fails there's always the local sports bars.

#9 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 05:57 PM

Forcast

Mostly Cloudy/Windy

High: 38°
Low: 31°

:D

Damn!

AT9 to SWM16

#10 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,857 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 January 2006 - 07:13 PM

I've just got to jump in here and say...

GO SEAHAWKS!

Carl
Seattle, WA

#11 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 07:45 PM

I've just got to jump in here and say...

GO SEAHAWKS!

Carl
Seattle, WA

Why not, you beat us too.:rolleyes: Well sorta.

I'll add something else so the mods don't PO'ed.

In all seriousness I was happy with my install. I just wanted the dish up and the new receiver. I've been waiting the H20 so I can finish putting all of my gear in a A/V cabinet. Nothing guy rated. It had to meet my wifes specs. Anyway now I can put my HR10-250, H20, LG Upconverter DVD Player and Sony HT in teh cabinet and finish cleaning up the wires.

I had everything set-up for him when he got here. In and out in 45 minutes. 10-15 of that was on teh phone/activiation.

AT9 to SWM16

#12 OFFLINE   mya23rd

mya23rd

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 09:24 PM

Positive experience with Mastec??

For the most part. Other than scheduling anyway. D* set me up with a morning install slot for yesterday. about 10 I get a call from their (Mastec/Advanced Technology) office saying their guy is running a little late I should see him around 11:30. About 20 minutes later the installer calls me to say that they have buried him with morning jobs I was 6th on the list. He says he will be there about 3:30 to 4:00 and not to worry that he will get er done. I say OK then I'm going out to take care of some other things and that I will see him then. He says if anything changes he'll call my cell to let me know if he'll get there any earlier.

3:20 rolls around he calls my cell to say he's leaving his last job and will be there soon. As soon as he hangs up it starts to pour down rain. He rolls up about 3:50 in a nice shiny D* logo'd van 2 guys roll out dressed up in nice D* logo'd rain gear take one look up at the sky and say we'll give it a shot even though it's pouring.

He survey's the site and informs me he will have to change the dish location due to trees, I was concerned but he said I'll do it right. Up on the roof he goes with the masts for dish and antenna while his helper assembles the dish and antenna in one of my garage bays.

THe crew leader comes back down to review the new locations for everything and comments about the rotten job the previous installer had done. I OK the new locations and he's up on the roof for about half an hour installing everything and replacing the original cables. He did a very thorough job and his cable runs were tidy and well secured.

These guys were well equiped with meters for antenna and dish aiming and all the bit's and pieces required to do a nice job.

The helper replaces the Tivo unit and the crew leader goes into the crawl space and replaces my old trunkline multiswitch with a 5x8 Zinwell.

Then it's time to power it up. 95+ on the 3 satellites and at or near the 90's on the OTA Antenna.

They clean up and are rolling out of the driveway in less than 2 hours.

Needless to say both were tipped well.

Man if I could only get one of those quality installers. It basically like rolling the dice, but I have lost on every occasion. I mean I am seriously consideiring dumpting DTV just because I don't want to get thru hell for the upgrade.

#13 OFFLINE   redskin9

redskin9

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 07:13 AM

Man if I could only get one of those quality installers. It basically like rolling the dice, but I have lost on every occasion. I mean I am seriously consideiring dumpting DTV just because I don't want to get thru hell for the upgrade.

If you're thinking of going to E* they're no better.They use a contractor called Via Satellite for their work.Same old B.S. I had them and made the switch. It's a shame that there isn't more competition out there. It'll probably get worse with D* deciding to go to leased equipment in 3/06.

#14 OFFLINE   gregftlaud

gregftlaud

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:03 PM

in my experience mastec/advanced tech workers are lazy, inconsiderate, incompetent workers!

spam firewall