Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv Going To Lease Only 3/1/06

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
84 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 22 February 2006 - 07:16 AM

AFAIK, only new equipment acquired and activated on or after March 1 will be leased equipment, which you will still be able to buy but at a higher price than current pricing....for anyone with existing equipment, that activates new equipment after they will have a mixed account with some leased and some owned gear....the leased gear should be automatically covered for failures, hte owned equipment would only have the original warranty coverage unless you have a protection plan.....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:35 AM

or will have to pay a lease fee for what i assumed was going to be win after 2 yrs

I'm not exactly sure what that last question is really asking, but any equipment you've purchased prior to March 1 will not have a lease fee. It will, however, have a mirroring (additional receiver) fee, as things do now, if it is not your main, or primary, receiver. Either way, leased or owned, there will be a $4.99 monthly fee for each receiver beyond the first one. How that fee is classified depends on the own/lease status of the receiver.

#83 OFFLINE   stogie5150

stogie5150

Godfather

• Registered
  • 343 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:47 AM

First post. lots of good info here!

I just got off the phone with D*, I intended on getting an HDtivo. After much haggling, arguing with a supervisor about HD picture quality, I managed to get their 'best' deal. 189.00 after rebate,discount, and programming credit. No thanks. I'll still be paying taxes on 600 bucks, plus waiting on a rebate that may or may not come. No thanks.

After all that the supervisor admits that on March 1st that everything is going to change, and in her words, " the HDtivo will almost certainly be cheaper." I told her it had better be FREE because Charter Cable is going to fix me up with a HD DVR, service, 10.00 credit on my cable modem. For less per month than D*, with NO UPFRONT cost. Cable even offered to waive 50 buck install if I did it today.

She didn't know what to say. Well, except the line about having 150 HD channels in the next year and if I go to cable I won't get them.... :nono2:

So that lease offer on March first better be dang good.:D

UPDATE:

I decided to check out the local Charter Cable picture quality and HD box......oh man....They are using Moxi boxes and they only have 12 hours of HD storage....the SD picture is TERRIBLE, it was nasty on a TUBE TV so I don't think it would be worth a darn on my Panny Plasma...

-SO-

Last night at 11:00 I pulled the trigger on the HDTivo. Got the same deal, they even credited me my TAX back on my account, and gave me 6 months of Showtime, which I never will watch, but its something. :)

#84 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:32 PM

and gave me 6 months of Showtime, which I never will watch, but its something. :)

SHO HD isn't that bad. Not as good as ota but movies sure do look better than on SD..enjoy!

#85 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:28 AM

Since the Leasing Plan is now here,
All continuing discussion should be in THIS thread:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=53934

Or start a new thread for a specific topic about the leasing.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

spam firewall