Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Keep until: I delete..... might as well say...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   byron

byron

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 05:29 PM

just keep recording over my episodes.... the damn thing doesn't even work. it just keeps recording every episode and deleting the oldest of the 5.

set up a SL for the simpsons to record "all episodes" and keep until I delete so that I can keep 5 shows, and when i watch one... it records the next available. so i keep 5 episodes on hand and the to do list isn't always filled with a show thats on 20 times a day. this has always worked on all 5 of my DTiVos... i don't understand how D* could muck up such a simple feature.

please.. someone tell me im and idiot and i've been doing something wrong all the time. i've done 2 restores to factory defaults hoping to clear out some bugs.. i only have 8 SLs.. so i know its not that i'm overwhelming the thing with requests.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Igor

Igor

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 06:13 PM

I am not sure I understand the issue. The box seems to be keeping the last 5 episodes as I suppose it will keep them until you delete.

I had a similar desire, where I wanted to keep certain old episodes. I marked them with the <BLUE> key and they were never deleted.

#3 OFFLINE   byron

byron

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 07:37 PM

i set up a series link for show "Simpsons" i say keep maximum 5 episdoes until I delete. it should record 5 episodes and say i don't watch or delete any of those 5 episodes... it should ignore (not record) any further episodes until i delete one or more of the 5 recorded episodes. instead.... it just keeps recording every episode of the simpsons and just purges the oldest recording of the 5. so it keeps 5 always... but it just keeps recording over the old ones.

does that make sense?

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 12 January 2006 - 08:41 PM

Its working exactly how I would expect it to, its keeping the most current 5 recordings. If you dont like the logic, change your SL to keep more episodes...or try watching a few....

#5 OFFLINE   byron

byron

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 09:17 PM

thats exactly the opposite of how i would expect... and the opposite of how the DTiVo handled the "keep until i delete". in the case of the R15... whats the difference between keep until disk full and keep until i delete on the r15? doesn't appear to be a whole lot.

all of my 5 recievers are DVRs... the R15 is in my bedroom and i liike to keep a nice assortment of 30min shows/sitcoms that i watch as i'm going to bed. (simpsons, daily show, colbert report, family guy, etc...) the tivo was nice b/c i could have it keep a nice repository of these shows and it wasn't constantly thrashing through the list if i wasn't on top of them and constantly watching each of these shows.

this is the kind of stuff D* should be minimizing.... you're moving customers from one product (TiVo) to an inferior product (R15) with features that appear to be the same... but in fact are not... even features/functions that are titled the same, in fact function in very different manners.

#6 OFFLINE   dbronstein

dbronstein

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:02 PM

I would expect it to keep the first 5 episodes and then not record any more until one was deleted. "Keep until I delete" should mean that it will never delete the recording. If the # of eps is reached or the drive is full, then it shouldn't record any more eps.

#7 OFFLINE   byron

byron

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:26 PM

I would expect it to keep the first 5 episodes and then not record any more until one was deleted. "Keep until I delete" should mean that it will never delete the recording. If the # of eps is reached or the drive is full, then it shouldn't record any more eps.

exactly. and thats exactly how the DTiVos have always worked. and if you look in the history it will tell you... "did not record because maximum number of recordings has been reached". which is a lot more than i can say for the useless history in the R15..... "did not record the daily show because it conflicted with a higher priority recording the daily show.

wtf is the point of a history that tells you nothing....LOL.

#8 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 07:25 AM

Its working exactly how I would expect it to, its keeping the most current 5 recordings. If you dont like the logic, change your SL to keep more episodes...or try watching a few....

huh?

He didn't tell it to keep the most current 5 recordings, he told it to keep the episodes he had marked "keep until I delete" until he deleted them. It did not do that, it recorded over them.

It's not that he does not like the logic, the logic is not working as it should.

#9 OFFLINE   walters

walters

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 08:03 AM

Absolutely. Keep until I delete should mean under no circumstances whatsoever should it be automatically deleted--only through the UI by the user. Therefore, once the keep at most limit is reached, no new recordings should be scheduled (else that would require ignoring keep at most by keeping more or keep until I delete by deleting something it shouldn't be deleting).

#10 OFFLINE   byron

byron

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 08:17 AM

yup. that is just one of the 18 detailed complaints i logged with a manager in D*'s advanced hardware department. that and the inconsistency (or maybe more like inability) of the "find by"/autorecord feature.

#11 OFFLINE   Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 08:55 AM

Keep until should never get rid of older shows, as many have said it should record your max amount then just not record anything else until you delete one or more of them to bring your count below your max show limit.

#12 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 10:00 AM

This is interesting and something I have not tried yet. I never KUID but will try it.

spam firewall