Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No Mpeg4 up north

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nmstough

nmstough

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 09:34 AM

I finally got my 5LNB dish installed (north of the 49th parallel) and while I am getting a good signal on the 3 Mpeg2 satellites (101, 119, 110) I get nothing on satellite 103 network 14. According to the signal strength menu on the H20 receiver this seems to be the only set of transponders which are active at the present time on the Mpeg4 band. I have followed the installation instructions and videos exactly and still there is no Mpeg4 signal. Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Halo

Halo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 01:10 PM

Make sure you have the B-band convertor installed (comes in the H20 box) and have the receiver set up to receive 5-lnb instead of 3-lnb. If you have that set up correctly then I guess it might be a bad LNB?

#3 OFFLINE   moonman

moonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 798 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 01:28 PM

I finally got my 5LNB dish installed (north of the 49th parallel) and while I am getting a good signal on the 3 Mpeg2 satellites (101, 119, 110) I get nothing on satellite 103 network 14. According to the signal strength menu on the H20 receiver this seems to be the only set of transponders which are active at the present time on the Mpeg4 band. I have followed the installation instructions and videos exactly and still there is no Mpeg4 signal. Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be?

-----------
Re: set-up menu...during the 5lnb dish setup it is CORRECT to get the error message - this because there are no signals coming from 99 degree dish. When you get the error message you just have to click on the prompt on the lower right where it says 'continue, fix later'.

If you are not set to 5lnb dish, you will NOT get KA band reception, only the normal triple dish reception.:D

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 13 January 2006 - 01:39 PM

Besides HD locals, what is there that is available nationally in MPEG4? IF this guy is somewhere severe north, I doubt his locals are in HD in MPEG4 yet...

#5 OFFLINE   nmstough

nmstough

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 03:17 PM

Besides HD locals, what is there that is available nationally in MPEG4? IF this guy is somewhere severe north, I doubt his locals are in HD in MPEG4 yet...

I am around the 51st parallel, so its not that far north. I do have the B band converter attached and also the H20 is set for the 5LNB dish. But all transponders on 103 network 14 show zeros. Is it possible that every single one of these transponders is spotbeamed to the south?

For instance I do get a moderate signal on transponder 26 on the 101 satellite, which I think is a spotbeam.

#6 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 13 January 2006 - 10:43 PM

51st parallel is not continental US AFAIK, and its not Alaska, so what channels do you expect to see in MPEG-4, like I asked previously? Currently the only MPEG-4 stuff on that sat that I have heard about are local spot beams for the few markets that are live which have all been discussed here....WHy would you put in an H20, and an AT9 where you're at, if you're at where I think you are?

#7 OFFLINE   nmstough

nmstough

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 11:39 PM

51st parallel is not continental US AFAIK, and its not Alaska, so what channels do you expect to see in MPEG-4, like I asked previously? Currently the only MPEG-4 stuff on that sat that I have heard about are local spot beams for the few markets that are live which have all been discussed here....WHy would you put in an H20, and an AT9 where you're at, if you're at where I think you are?

Why not? I had to put up a dish and this one is large and gets a better signal on the conventional satellites. Getting the Mpeg4 would be a bonus as well.

#8 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 14 January 2006 - 12:02 AM

I am around the 51st parallel, so its not that far north. .

Nearest I can figure, the 51st parallel is about 138 miles north of the US border at it's closest point, not considering Alaska.

Carl

#9 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 14 January 2006 - 04:15 PM

OK, so an AT9 dish helps you get a signal you're not supposed to be getting....

;)

Unless someone knows different, there is no MPEG-4 content for you to get up there since you dont live in or even remotely near any of the cities that have their new HD locals up....What are you expecting to get, your broker must have sure pulled one over on you....

#10 OFFLINE   DTC mac

DTC mac

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 06:47 PM

Seems some people forget CONUS is CONtinental USa as in not AK, HI or Canada. And let's not even get into spot beams.....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...