Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Problems with DirecTV, anyone have advice?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tech249

tech249

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 02:08 PM

I signed up in August of 2005. I tried the service for a few days, it didn't work out. When signing up for the DirecTV service I was told 3x by my sales rep I could return everything and get my money back if I wasn't happy with the service in 7 days. I canceled and on my 6th day the rep who was processing my order said that all equipment sales were final. I argued that my sales rep said different and I never would of bought $700 worth of equipment to "try" a propietary service.

I don't understand how a company can send you equipment that only works with their system, they say you have 7 days to try the service. Of course its my word against there sales rep and guess who they believe?

I'm so disgusted with DirecTV my stomach hurts. At this time they are now threatening to mark my credit if I don't pay for the equipment.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas for me?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,857 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 14 January 2006 - 02:12 PM

Talk to your lawyer?

Carl

#3 OFFLINE   tech249

tech249

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 02:15 PM

Yes, that is next. I was hoping to find some "free" advice first. :)

I could easily rack up $1000 in legal bills so it would be more ecnomical to eat it and let DirecTV win, as much as it hurts to let them.

#4 OFFLINE   jfalkingham

jfalkingham

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 04:33 PM

If you paid with a credit card, contact them. I can't imagine who sells equipment as all sales final. Who did you buy the equipment from?

Best Buy, CircuitCity, Value Electronics.com, crutchfield, wal-mart, and DirecTV (to name a few) all offer a 30 day money back guarantee. Without a 're-stocking' fee.

If you did go through DirecTV and you want out, return the equipment to them and your commitment is over. If you paid $700 for equipment as a new subscriber, you must have bought a lot of stuff. They give a HD TiVO, 3 additional receivers, shipping and installation for $199, so for $700 what did you get?

It's ok to hate a service, but everyones receivers work on their service. Dish, DTV, Digital Cable, Sirius, XM, it's all propietary for security purposes. I can't take a DISH or SIRIUS receiver and expect it to work on somebody elses service.

Why not sell your $700 worth of equipment on eBay?

Either way, the return policy should be explained in full in writing by any reputable dealer. If you order over the phone and they tell you something then the customer agreement paperwork should outline exactly what you agreed to. Read through it...

#5 OFFLINE   jfalkingham

jfalkingham

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 04:35 PM

Talk to your lawyer?

Carl

The answer for everything these days :lol:

#6 OFFLINE   mya23rd

mya23rd

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 06:15 PM

I never believe anything that any sales person tells me anyore. Even if its in person but especially on the phone because they will just say "yeah, yeah" or make something up because they know they will never deal with you again. It really pisses me off because soetimes you can actually tell when they aren't telling the truth but there isn't much you can do about it. I am currently a DTv customer and I don't believe a word of what they say. Now that my contract is up I have been trying to get an HD Tivo upgarde but they just won't budge. They want to charge me a few hundred bucks but when I ask will I get a free upgrade to the next generation HD DVR, I get a bunch of answers. One told me yeah it will be free, another told me it will cost me a 100 bucks with a mail in rebate, and yet another told me that its gonna be 200 bucks without a rebate. What the hell, I can't even get one consistant answer.

I feel sorry for you because it sounds like they are trying to screw you over. As others have mentioned, I would contact my credit card company, try to sell the equipment on eBay or even try calling DTV back and talking to a supervisor-if you can get a hold of someone decent they might be willing to work out some sort of compromise. Whether you stay with DTV all depends on how pissed off at them you are. Although you've taking a serious financial hit, would you prefer to cut your losses and go elsewhere or swallow your pride and work something out with the and remain a customer. You are the best judge of what to do in this case. If I were you I would have probably cancelled and gone elsewhere, but I've have been screwed before by companies (Verizon Wireless) as many people have and am still a customer because they offer the best service in my area. Do whatever is best for you and your situation. Maybe if you stick with DTv you can manage to get a lot of credits or something. But don't be afraid to tell them to go f..k themselves if they continue to trat yo like crap!!!!

#7 OFFLINE   tech249

tech249

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 06:34 PM

If you paid with a credit card, contact them. I can't imagine who sells equipment as all sales final. Who did you buy the equipment from?

Best Buy, CircuitCity, Value Electronics.com, crutchfield, wal-mart, and DirecTV (to name a few) all offer a 30 day money back guarantee. Without a 're-stocking' fee.

If you did go through DirecTV and you want out, return the equipment to them and your commitment is over. If you paid $700 for equipment as a new subscriber, you must have bought a lot of stuff. They give a HD TiVO, 3 additional receivers, shipping and installation for $199, so for $700 what did you get?

It's ok to hate a service, but everyones receivers work on their service. Dish, DTV, Digital Cable, Sirius, XM, it's all propietary for security purposes. I can't take a DISH or SIRIUS receiver and expect it to work on somebody elses service.

Why not sell your $700 worth of equipment on eBay?

Either way, the return policy should be explained in full in writing by any reputable dealer. If you order over the phone and they tell you something then the customer agreement paperwork should outline exactly what you agreed to. Read through it...

I bought the equipment back in August. The HD DVR was $500ish and the other unit was $200ish. I decided to "try" their service when they had the first price break on their HD DVR receiver.

I'm looking into selling the receivers on eBay. I'm hoping the HD DVR will qualify for this new $200 rebate, it will help to sell.

At this time it looks like my best bet is to try and sell the equipment and eat the remaining amount. I will not use DirecTV's service, ever. I'm also sure to let everyone know my negative experience. Since August I've talked three people out of not joing. Thats the only thing that keeps me cool.

I did pay for the equipment with my credit card, Amex. I did a charge back in August, but DirecTV just billed me for the equipment. At this time DirecTV has none of my money.

Its fine and dandy that DirecTV's equipment is propietary for security reasons, but it floors me that they sell it then tell me I have to keep it when I obviously can't use it.

#8 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 06:56 PM

So you purchased this directly from DTV? I thought they always offered a "return if you're not satisified" policy.

#9 OFFLINE   tech249

tech249

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 07:06 PM

So you purchased this directly from DTV? I thought they always offered a "return if you're not satisified" policy.

Yes, I bought Direct. I was told I had 7 days. I canceled on the sixth.

#10 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 07:08 PM

... I don't understand how a company can send you equipment that only works with their system, ...

What else would you expect from a company that advertises as DirecTV? :D
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#11 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 07:15 PM

What part didn't "work out". The crystal clear picture? The perfect sound? The multitude of channels? What?

#12 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 07:29 PM

What part didn't "work out". The crystal clear picture? The perfect sound? The multitude of channels? What?

That's a fair question, why were you not satisified?

#13 OFFLINE   tech249

tech249

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 08:23 PM

The very first night a storm front rolls through, I lost my signal for four hours. I was told I could get my locals on HD WITHOUT an attenae. I get it setup and call them, "oh no, you have to have a roof top antena to get your locals in HD". Thats not what the sales rep said. I ordered the HD package and got the NFL Sunday ticket with the promo. They didn't tell me I would have to pay extra to get any of the NFL games in HD that would of normally been broadcast within the NFL ticket. Discovery channel from my local cable is in 1080i. DirecTV broadcasts it in 720p. I could tell immediately that it didn't look near as nice. Service for service, my local cable is $10 cheaper and I get OnDemand. I'm not locked into a year contract with my local cable. My local cable wouldn't charge me $700 for equipment when they said I could test it out for 7 days. :) Customer service system is horrible. if you call someone you can never get the same person unless you get lucky. After spending 2 hours with one rep I called back hoping to speak with that same person, " oh, I'm sorry sir, thats impossible with our phone system, maybe I can help you?"

Why did I try DirecTV? I wanted all my locals in HD, they said I could do that without an Antennae, they were incorrect. I don't have an HD tuner on my TV. I liked the idea of watching something while recording a seperate channel. My local cable now has dual tuner Motorola boxs so thats moot.

#14 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:42 PM

Sounds like you should be able to cancel without any charges. Attorney, State's Attorney General, or even the USPS for mail fraud if anything was sent via mail.

#15 OFFLINE   Kheldar

Kheldar

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 10:21 PM

You can return the equipment to avoid the cancellation fee, but all sales are final after installation if you purchased the equipment directly from D*.

#16 OFFLINE   topcats69

topcats69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 10:39 PM

look at the back of your bill and send a certified letter to the disputes address. And explain why you dispute this charge. And keep copies of all written correspondences because what they say on phone means nothing(in legal terms). If that doesn't work set up arbitration. Look in the terms of service and the back of your bill for dispute resolution. After all that then talk to a lawyer.

I did this last year for a 200 charge one letter cleared up the problem.

I hope this helps.

#17 OFFLINE   tech249

tech249

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 08:42 AM

Thanks for all the advice.

My second letter was a certified letter and I had started keeping good notes about the middle of this whole ordeal. I remembered I had a client that was an attorney so I called him yesterday and chatted a bit.

In the end, I called D* and got them to drop the $287 early cancelation fee and paid $774 for the equipment. I won't get that back on eBay but I've learned my lesson for a cheaper amount.

I will never trust a salesman again, I'll check everything out myself.

#18 OFFLINE   jfalkingham

jfalkingham

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 11:05 AM

I'm still puzzled what 2 receivers cost you $700 in August of 2005? What specific models? :confused:

As a new subscriber, the story does not gel at $700 for 2 receivers with no rebates. I've had DTV for 10 years and I have lost the picture once, during a huge electrical storm. Blizzards had no effect on my picture, and that goes back to a good installation. I'm sorry to hear you had a bad installation.

What did your customer agreement say? The paperwork you signed at installation?

#19 OFFLINE   jfalkingham

jfalkingham

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 11:10 AM

You can return the equipment to avoid the cancellation fee, but all sales are final after installation if you purchased the equipment directly from D*.

After installation, so you have to sign at the install, and it will clearly outline what you are agreeing to. If you took the time to read the paperwork it would outline return policy, etc. and at that time he could have refused to sign because it did not have the promise of a "7 day return policy, no questions asked" as he was told by a sales rep.

It sucks when this happens, but you gotta read what you are signing. It's like people that bitch on their Cellular early termination fee, or a credit cards late billing fee, etc, everyone agrees to the terms and then gets pissed when they find out something that they did not know about because of not reading the contract/agreement. I think we are all guilty at this at some point in our lives, I certainly am :D

#20 OFFLINE   robert koerner

robert koerner

Icon

• Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 02:31 PM

You might want to check your credit in a few months.

spam firewall