Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Customers will be converted to mpeg4 by 2007

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   kayzersoze

kayzersoze

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 04:35 AM

otterly,

Point #2, isn't the legislation to force stations to broadcast digital and no longer broadcast analog? That doesn't necessarily mean HD, just digital. The analog wave lengths are going to be rededicated to communications (police stations and such). If I remember this correctly. If not, or if something newer has been passed, then I am most certainly wrong.

you are 100% correct.

#22 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:37 AM

otterly,

Point #2, isn't the legislation to force stations to broadcast digital and no longer broadcast analog? That doesn't necessarily mean HD, just digital. The analog wave lengths are going to be rededicated to communications (police stations and such). If I remember this correctly. If not, or if something newer has been passed, then I am most certainly wrong.

There are many people out there that think everything will be hi def in 2009. Boy will they be disappointed.

Also I'd have to get out the directv rate card, but are there even 150 channels of unique content to put in HD? (discount E/W feeds) . I can't imagine things like the religious channels and shopping paying for HD cameras at 100K a pop plus the infrastructure.

#23 OFFLINE   otterley

otterley

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 07:30 PM

otterly,

You are correct; my mistake. Regardless, my point stands - there is really only the need for one box regardless of whether the feeds are HD or digital SD. So long as there's an NTSC output on the box, viewers with old TVs will be covered.

#24 OFFLINE   grooves12

grooves12

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 07:32 PM

Over the next 5 years we'll see many changes. So I think we should be very carefull with statements that include" "there will never be..." or "D* will not drop/change/switch..." or "such and such will never go HD". We know that many D* sats will reach EOL and all broadcast channels will be digital. We can just bet that most cable channels will likely go digital cuz all the cable companies and dbs providers will want digital not analog (and most will be at least widescreen too).

Along this transition process (that started more than 8 years ago) we'll see lots of things that will make us scratch our heads and say "huh? Why'd dey do dat?"

Will we see MPEG4 on ku frequencies someday? Maybe--if D* wants to keep the ku licenses. Or will we see D* surrender their ku licenses?

At some point every STB will be replaced. Whether it will be by attrition or by active replacement plan, I don't know. But they all will be replaced. I wonder if D*, E*, and cable will qualify for part of the $3B replacement monies for the DTV transition?
[/ramble]

Cheers,
Tom

What does Mpeg4 and their KU license have to do with each other??Do you somehow beleive the FCC mandate for "digital" programming has ANYTHING to do with Cable or Satellite providers... or Standard Definition programming?? Because, neither is the case... ALL DirecTV programming is digitial and always has been, and their licenses are not threatened, and likely never will be. As for cable they do not operate in the public domain... they have a closed system that does not use public airwaves... so if they chose to keep analog transmissions for some of their channels (even though it is not likely) they could.

Also... it seems you are confusing the Digital Conversion requirements of the local broadcast channels with HDTV conversions. While they for the most part are going together... they are not one in the same, and the FCC has no requirements for broadcasts to be made in HD. They just want the bandwidth freed up. 99% of all programming will still be in SD for the forseeable future... regardless of if it is digital or not.

spam firewall