Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Best universal remote for R15

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jaguar325

jaguar325

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:23 AM

In addition to an old DTiVo box, I use an R15 shared amongst two TVs and am getting tired of dragging the remote back-and-forth. I tried setting up the second TV as an AV2 device, but the software won't let me select a TV for that function. Plus, at the risk of sounding like one of the "I love my TiVo so much I can't imagine life without it" people, I have to say the DTV remote leaves a lot to be desired. Can anyone give me some advice on a good universal remote that they know works with the new R15? In particular, I'd like to be able to control the DTV box, 1-2 TVs and my Yamaha A/V receiver. The latter is important because I use it all the time and the R15 remote doesn't do much besides change the volume. Also, my wife likes the feel, button layout, and readibility of the TiVo remote so I'd like to get something to make her stop complaining about the R15 remote being too hard to use.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   koji68

koji68

Icon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:50 AM

I use this:

http://snipurl.com/lm6b

Logitech Harmony 880.

It is web programmable and also a learning remote. It has worked for all my gear.

I seen prices as low as $180 new on the web. Check shopper.com or pricewatch.com

I'm sure it will work with the R15 but I don't know for sure since I'm a Dish customer.

#3 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,755 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:28 AM

The only non-PC programmable universal remotes with a code for the R15 are from URC/HTM, they include the R5, R7, and mx-650.

Cheaper remotes from One-For-All, need to be upgraded wth the code for R15, which is SAT 1377. Some OFA remote are phone upgradeable, they include the urc-8910, 9910, and 9960. Other OFA remotes need to be mailed in, they are the urc-6131n, 6820, 8820, 10820, and 6690. the last four remotes have enough learning memory for you to teach the R15 commands.

#4 OFFLINE   stens

stens

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 02:34 PM

I use this:

Logitech Harmony 880.

It is web programmable and also a learning remote. It has worked for all my gear.

I seen prices as low as $180 new on the web. Check shopper.com or pricewatch.com

I'm sure it will work with the R15 but I don't know for sure since I'm a Dish customer.

The Harmony products work fine with the R15. I have the 688, which isn't quite as fancy as the 880, and isn't quite as expensive (~$115). It's got pretty much the same feature set, though.

The web programmability is nice, in that it allows "activity-based" programming of the remote buttons. For example: I hit "Watch TV", which turns on the R15, the Mitsu TV, and the Panasonic home theater and correctly sets the inputs. Volume controls control the stereo, play/record controls control the R15. If I hit "Watch DVD", the R15 turns off, and the play/record controls now control the DVD player in the Panasonic. If I hit "Play Music", the TV and R15 are off, and the Panasonic input changes to accept Airtunes from my computer. Very neat.

You plug in your components on the website, and most of the controls are already in the database. Any that aren't, you can input.

One additional point: the remote can control EVERY feature of each piece of your equipment. I can change the picture, inputs, etc. on the TV, do anything to the sound on the stereo (ProLogic modes, equalizer, subwoofer, etc.), and control all features of the R15. The Harmony truly replaces all of the separate remotes.

The biggest plus is that the Harmony remote is the only high tech device I've introduced which my wife actually thought was good.:)

#5 OFFLINE   jaguar325

jaguar325

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:49 AM

How would you rate the Harmony (compared to others) in terms of intuitiveness and feel? My wife uses her TiVo remote as the benchmark for all remotes. I tried telling her it's just because she's used to it but, have to admit, there are times I agree with her (and I am not normally one who buys technology based on how easy it is to operate).

#6 OFFLINE   stens

stens

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:00 AM

The Harmony is pretty intuitive. It's as easy to use as the individual remotes and reduces clutter. The simple activity buttons really are nice, especially if you've accumulated gear over several years from several manufacturers as I have.

I'm sorry but I can't rate the Harmony against other universal remotes, as the only other universal remotes I've used are ones that came with my equipment...mostly Sony stuff that came either with TVs or with my old DirecTV receivers. I simply can't tell you it's the best out there. It works very well for me...but there could be other options that might be better. There are quite a few reviews out there by people who do rate the Harmony against other universal remotes. Google "Logitech Harmony" and you can find some pretty good independent reviews and comparisons. They'll gives all the pros and the cons.

#7 OFFLINE   Mr. Furious

Mr. Furious

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 09:55 AM

I have the Harmony H880. The only other serious universal remote I've used is the MX-500, which my FIL has. I greatly prefer the H880. The MX-500 is great from a functionality perspective, but it's kind of bulky, and somewhat more difficult to program.

The H880 has a really nice feel, and it's comparable in size and shape to the TiVo peanut remote. It's easy to program, the color screen is great, and it has a very high WAF (wife acceptance factor). My wife and my MIL use the TiVo peanut instead of the MX-500. I use the MX-500 when we visit, but I'm sorely tempted to take my H880. :)

#8 OFFLINE   DesignDawg

DesignDawg

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 10:17 AM

I'm going to throw another vote in for the Harmony 880. We love it, it works great with the R15, and my wife is supremely pleased with it. Babysitters also love it. With the complexity of my setup, "training" the babysitter used to be a huge ordeal, usually ending up with them just giving up and watching whatever channel was on when they got there. If they wanted to maybe watch a DVD, FORGET IT!
As for the "intuitiveness" of the remote... It's all about what you're used to and muscle memory. The H880 catches a lot of flack for the buttons being rectangular, and thus "not distinctive" to the touch. --But after using it for awhile, I'd say that's a 100% non-issue. Sure, switching from any remote to this one is going to introduce a learning curve.
I recommend it, simply put.

Ricky

#9 OFFLINE   kb9vrg

kb9vrg

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 12:27 PM

I have a Harmony 659 and bought it purposely because of the R15 compatibilty. I really have enjoyed this more than the many different OFA remotes that I've had in the past.

It is a little more cantankerous with the internet than I'd like it to be, but to be honest, it's a heck of a lot easier to program than the other remotes I have.

My wife absolutely loves it too -- she was hesitant with me spending $100 on a remote until she saw the "Watch a movie" and "Watch TV" buttons and said, "Oh, so I hit that and it turns everything on for me?"

#10 OFFLINE   ISWIZ

ISWIZ

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 12:31 PM

fyi,

There is a $50 rebate coupon for the 676 and 880 "for Tivo users". If you have a Tivo:D

http://images.priceg...bates/44306.pdf
Dave

DTV HR22-100 (Primary)
DTV R16-300 (Secondary)

DTV R16-300
(Gathering dust in a closet)

#11 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 12:56 PM

Thanks for that link ISWIZ. I had entered for the giveaway Logitech was having and was suppose to be mailed a rebate form. I went out and bought one but never received the form.

BTW, the 880 is a great remote. Works with all my devices and my wife really loves this one.

Thanks again Dave.

#12 OFFLINE   ISWIZ

ISWIZ

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 01:05 PM

Glad to help!

I just ordered the 676 as the backlight on my MX500 went out and I didn't want to spend the $$. With the rebate it's sweet.
Dave

DTV HR22-100 (Primary)
DTV R16-300 (Secondary)

DTV R16-300

#13 OFFLINE   tall1

tall1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 01:55 PM

I have a Harmony 659 and bought it purposely because of the R15 compatibilty. I really have enjoyed this more than the many different OFA remotes that I've had in the past.

It is a little more cantankerous with the internet than I'd like it to be, but to be honest, it's a heck of a lot easier to program than the other remotes I have.

My wife absolutely loves it too -- she was hesitant with me spending $100 on a remote until she saw the "Watch a movie" and "Watch TV" buttons and said, "Oh, so I hit that and it turns everything on for me?"

It is nice that the 659 is inexpensive as far as a universal remote goes and it does so much. I did have one of the hard buttons go bad and as kb states, it is cantakerous; takes some energy to add/change stuff but you can program it to control just about any IR device. I have 4 DVRs (comcast and D*), 2 DVHS's, Display, CD Player, QAM/OTA Tuner, DVD Player, and an AV Receiver setup on the 659; works flawlessly.

I've had the 659 for 2 years and I beat the heck out of it hoping it breaks so I can upgrade to the 880 but the damn thing keeps going and going :( You won't be disappointed buying the 659 and I setup the color buttons for the R15 as hard buttons and it works fine.

#14 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 02:30 PM

fyi,

There is a $50 rebate coupon for the 676 and 880 "for Tivo users". If you have a Tivo:D

http://images.priceg...bates/44306.pdf

How are they going to determine if you have a Tivo or not? There's nothing on that rebate form that you send to let them know you have one, it only asks for the proof of purchase from the remote and the receipt...

#15 OFFLINE   ISWIZ

ISWIZ

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 02:42 PM

Gee, I don't know;)
Dave

DTV HR22-100 (Primary)
DTV R16-300 (Secondary)

DTV R16-300

#16 OFFLINE   donnaml98

donnaml98

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:22 AM

Does the Harmony 880 have a back light? So you can light it to use in the dark?
Donna
Got fish? Visit www.nlpublish.com

#17 OFFLINE   Mr. Furious

Mr. Furious

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:25 AM

Does the Harmony 880 have a back light? So you can light it to use in the dark?

Yes, it does have a backlight. It also has a tilt sensor so that it lights up as soon as you pick it up.

#18 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:06 PM

Yes, it does have a backlight. It also has a tilt sensor so that it lights up as soon as you pick it up.

Does it turn on when you don't pick it up? My Kenwood remote lights up with no one near it. It's cool because it doesn't have buttons untill it turns on, but sucks cause it drains the batteries because it's always turning on. Thank god for rechargable batteries.

#19 OFFLINE   Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:46 PM

I almost bought the 880 yesterday, found it for $199 new, then with the $50 rebate for being a TiVo customer it put it in my price range. I didn't do it because I want my new TV first. :)

#20 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:21 PM

I almost bought the 880 yesterday, found it for $199 new, then with the $50 rebate for being a TiVo customer it put it in my price range. I didn't do it because I want my new TV first. :)

Where did you find it for that?

spam firewall