Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Installing R15

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
50 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chiefilliniwek

chiefilliniwek

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 06:09 PM

After hooking up the requisite cords/cables/wires, I turned on the unit (which was replacing a non-DVR DirecTV unit) and started going thought the setup. Once it got to stage "9 of 9," as it was trying to download satellite info, it started at "0% complete." And it NEVER moved beyond that. I called DirecTV tech support, which tried to help on the phone for 30 mins, but they were unsuccessful and suggested having a technician out.

In the meantime, I re-hooked up my old received and it works fine (downloaded the satellite info in about 5 secs).

Any advice? Ideas?

Thanks Much.

Yours truly,
A Newbie

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 06:11 PM

ILL ('96 grad)

Anyway...

Are you using TWO SAT feeds? If not, make sure you are hooking it to SAT FEED #1.

If after that, it doesn't work.... hook it back to the old one... Check your transponder strengths... If they are not high, you may want to consider tweaking those a bit.

If they are okay (80+) then you may have gotten an R15 with a bummer tunner.
Replace it
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   chiefilliniwek

chiefilliniwek

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 06:35 PM

Thanks for your reply. Tech Support was fairly useless. I want to get this working before the Illini game that I need to miss tomorrow night :yikes

I am using one sat feed because I do not have a multiswitch yet. Obviously I am fairly clueless--I initially was using a standard splitter to hook the signal into the two tuners, but tech support informed me that that would not work. Yes, once I fixed that error, I had the sat feed going into sat feed #1.

OK, just re-hooked it up. I am getting 80+ on all the odd transponders and all zeros on the even transponders. Normal?

Thanks,
I-N-I ('94)

ILL ('96 grad)

Anyway...

Are you using TWO SAT feeds? If not, make sure you are hooking it to SAT FEED #1.

If after that, it doesn't work.... hook it back to the old one... Check your transponder strengths... If they are not high, you may want to consider tweaking those a bit.

If they are okay (80+) then you may have gotten an R15 with a bummer tunner.
Replace it

:nono: :nono: :( :(

#4 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 06:59 PM

OK, just re-hooked it up. I am getting 80+ on all the odd transponders and all zeros on the even transponders. Normal?

No that is not right... With values like that... It appears that you still have a splitter in place (that is usually what we see).

Do you have a splitter anywhere else in the line?

Is the line a straight run from the dish to your box?
Do you have any other boxes? Do you have a multiswitch?
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   chiefilliniwek

chiefilliniwek

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:14 PM

I live in a large building in which several units share a common dish. I do not know what the story is with splitters or multiswitches that they have used upstream before the signal reaches my unit. However, I am running the line that comes into my unit straight into Sat #1.

However, my old receiver worked (and still does work) just fine with that same wire coming into my unit.

Do you think it's a splitter issue or a bad receiver?

No that is not right... With values like that... It appears that you still have a splitter in place (that is usually what we see).

Do you have a splitter anywhere else in the line?

Is the line a straight run from the dish to your box?
Do you have any other boxes? Do you have a multiswitch?

#6 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:38 PM

Ahh!!!!

You have a stacked signal... What kind of reciever did you have before?

I bet it was one with an internal destacker... If that is the case, you are going to need an external destacker.... You may need to check with your building to find exactly what they are using, so you can get the correct part (they may even have one available for sale)
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#7 OFFLINE   chiefilliniwek

chiefilliniwek

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:42 PM

It is a "DirecTV Receiver D10."

Do you know if that has an internal destacker? Do you know how much an external destacker costs?

Thanks so much for your help! You really know your stuff, and I appreciate your taking the time to help me. Tech Support was clueless about all of this!

#8 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:54 PM

Yep, the D10 has an internal destacker:
http://www.dbsforums...p?postid=327553

Here is one on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

Further down this page:
http://www.9thtee.com/dssstuff.htm
$70 for single tuner
$154 for two tuners

That's what the Illinois education is good for... :)
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#9 OFFLINE   chiefilliniwek

chiefilliniwek

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:20 PM

Yikes! That's more than I paid for the receiver. Thanks again, dude. Time to talk to the building's DirecTV guy and figure out how to get this working.

#10 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:35 PM

Yikes! That's more than I paid for the receiver. Thanks again, dude. Time to talk to the building's DirecTV guy and figure out how to get this working.

Hence one of the problems with the "stacking" method...

Solved problems with MDU's (multi-dwelling units) that where pre-wired, but opened another can of worms... :(

There are some tricks, but they would still be a total of $100 or so to implement...

If you can't figure something out... drop me a line.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#11 OFFLINE   chiefilliniwek

chiefilliniwek

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 08:49 AM

Now I think my mgmt co doesn't know what they're talking about. I call with the problem and they say I need a two-way splitter (not destacker, not multiswitch)--that will take care of the odd/even signal problem. They say the R15 has an internal destacker, which makes it better than R10. I was suspicious but tried it. Same problem! Haven't called them back yet. :nono2:

#12 OFFLINE   chiefilliniwek

chiefilliniwek

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:18 AM

For those of you playing along at home (or in case you are curious), I did get my building's tech guy on the phone and he seems to know what he's talking about. (yes, I'm an eternal optimist).

He claims that there is a way to destack the signal by using menus in the R15. [push right arrow and hold down "action" button at the same time; hold until system diagnostics screen comes up; highlight "LNB type"; go to "stacked signal" and change to "destacked."]

I am at work right now, but will try it when I get home tonight. If he's right, then I guess the R15 has an internal destacker. :hurah:

If he's wrong... :nono:

Does this make sense?

#13 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:28 AM

Hmmm... that would be a NICE feature to add to the list for the R15...

I will have to check it too.

There is no reference to it in the manuals, or even the hard core "geeks" that have been tearing the unit apart.

Let's us know how it works out.... (and I will check it out too when I get home)
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#14 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:16 PM

Hmmm... that would be a NICE feature to add to the list for the R15...

I will have to check it too.

There is no reference to it in the manuals, or even the hard core "geeks" that have been tearing the unit apart.

Let's us know how it works out.... (and I will check it out too when I get home)

I got an email back from my DirecTV contact....

The R15 does have a built in destacker

But the key sequence above is not 100% correct...
So tonight when I go home I will try what I was given, see what is there... as I was warned to be carefull....

I will let you know (maybe I will have to buy a stacker just to test it out... :) )

Very cool... A significant feather in the cap of the R15 over the TiVo powered products.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#15 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,857 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 January 2006 - 05:34 PM

It also appears to work on the D11 receiver. Just tried it out.

Carl

#16 OFFLINE   DesignDawg

DesignDawg

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 05:58 PM

Yep... I was just about to post that the R15 does have a destacker. We actually knew this (via Robert from VE) before it came out.

Ricky

#17 OFFLINE   chiefilliniwek

chiefilliniwek

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 06:17 PM

Eureka!

As Earl said, the instructions I typed out earlier were not 100% word-for-word what I encountered on the screen. I'll let Earl correct it.

#18 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 07:01 PM

Pretty cool... a nice feather in the cap for the R15

The change to the original post is... you can't do it from the remote.

When you have the R15 in full video mode on a live channel
From the front panel hit and hold the RIGHT directional, and then press the active button.

Advanced Feature menu...

In that menu you can turn on the destacker....
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#19 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 07:22 PM

What else does the Advanced Feature menu have?

#20 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 07:33 PM

What else does the Advanced Feature menu have?

Some phone settings; where you can setup dialout numbers (like if you need 9 to get an outside line, or call waiting prefixes).. and a place to do a modem test (you fill in the phone number)

Service settings: Normal or Special

LNB Stacked or unstacked

And the base page is a system diagnostic with some values (current tuner in use, signal strength on both tuners, NETWORK ID, Region ID)
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

spam firewall