Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV Commitment Policy

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   psyclguy

psyclguy

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:14 AM

I've been a DirecTV customer for over 8 years. We recently upgraded one of our receivers to HD. The other day I received a postcard from them stating that because we upgraded our equipment we are now committed to an additional 24 months of service. We have added additonal receivers including an HD receiver in the past and there was no change in the contract. I called them and talked to a Customer Retention rep and was told this is their new policy and the rep who handled my activation should have told me that. When I told them I wasn't informed of their new policy he essentially told me "too bad" and asked if I wanted to cancel my service! If I cancel now I'm liable for $300 and have to return the equipment that I bought at a local retailer. I am now a prisoner for another 2 years.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:37 AM

When you upgraded, did you take advantage of a special promotion in order to receive a lower price? If so, that's where your commitment comes in to play. Directv gives you a break on the front end in exchange for your commitment.

If you did NOT use a special promotion, I'd be curious to know how they justfify a 2 year commitment just to plug in a new receiver. The only time I've encountered a commitment policy is when Directv gives me something in return. (i.e. Mover's connection, rebates, etc.)

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,895 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:46 AM

Their current policy is a one year commitment for a standard receiver, and a two year commitment for a dvr or hd receiver. The argument is that they sell them well below cost at retail (even without a rebate or other promotion) and they need the commitment to recover that cost. You can return the equipment to get out of the commitment.
-
Carl

#4 OFFLINE   psyclguy

psyclguy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:59 AM

According to the policy as they stated to me, I would have to return the equipment to DirecTV to get out of the commitment. I paid a local retailer $200 for the receiver so I'm not going to return it to DirecTV.

#5 OFFLINE   Stevies3

Stevies3

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:11 AM

This is not any different than a cell phone company. Free phone or discounted price with a commitment. Steven

#6 OFFLINE   msmith

msmith

Icon

• Registered
  • 808 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:23 AM

Their system for sending out these notifications is flawed. I got one, and called up to ask why. After looking at my account, it got generated because I changed my primary receiver.

I had replaced a broken Sony HD200 with an HDTivo, then went back and replaced the Sony A65 upstairs with the repaired HD200. That caused my primary receiver to flip from the A65 to the HDTivo.

The rep said to ignore the postcard.

#7 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:28 AM

There is a difference. The CSR's are not telling customers about this. I'm not arguing about their reasoning and I was fully aware of the 2 yr committment when I got my HR10-250 last month. But as with psyclguy the CSR I spoke with never mentioned any committment. In instances where you purchase an upgrade over the phone DTV should make sure all of the contractual obligations are read and verified.

#8 OFFLINE   psyclguy

psyclguy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:28 AM

I can understand having to commit to 1 or 2 years for new customers but not for existing customers. I have been paying them for 8 years and I don't think this is the way to treat good customers.

I can't ignore the card. They looked at my account and said this is the policy, take it or leave it.

#9 OFFLINE   cboylan3

cboylan3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:15 AM

This is not any different than a cell phone company. Free phone or discounted price with a commitment. Steven

You are correct about having to agree to a commitment to get the discount price. however, when I've looked for phones, I was told or shown the price with commitment and the price without commitment. When you by a receiver that works with D*, there is only one price.

If you were to cancel, you wouldn't return the phone to sprint or verizon, its yours...you bought it. The receiver he bought is his, it does not belong to D*. He should not have to return it to D*.

#10 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:59 PM

I can understand having to commit to 1 or 2 years for new customers but not for existing customers. I have been paying them for 8 years and I don't think this is the way to treat good customers.

I can't ignore the card. They looked at my account and said this is the policy, take it or leave it.

New or existing customers shouldnt have any bearing on this just like it is now. You paid XXX dollars for something that cost YYY dollars, all subs must commit to 2 years for the advanced tech receivers...unless you'd rather pay say $600-$700 for the HD DVR without the committment, are you saying you'd rather do it that way, cos I'm sure they would let you...BTW many are paying $299 after rebates for those units...so they actually gave you a pretty good deal...

#11 OFFLINE   psyclguy

psyclguy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:46 PM

The receiver is not a DVR, just an HD receiver.
I would like to know why they have changed their policy because as I said I purchased new equipment several times before and was not committed to them then.
I think they are afraid they are going to lose customers to Dish because they are offering more HD programming.

#12 OFFLINE   stupid0g

stupid0g

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 05:14 PM

In all honesty, policy hasn't changed that much since i started beginning of 05'. however the new 2yr comm started aug 1st 05' when D* started the new rebates (100 for dvr, 200 for hd).

The fact that most reps do not inform cust doesn't suprise me, however that was one of the reasons they started sending out the cards again.

As far as the commitment, after 8yrs, are you actually looking for a new provider? And on a side note, Dish has commitments, same as almost every other service provider in the country, be it phn svc, tv, internet, etc.
The guy you hate to talk to at D*

#13 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 05:17 PM

The receiver is not a DVR, just an HD receiver.
I would like to know why they have changed their policy because as I said I purchased new equipment several times before and was not committed to them then.
I think they are afraid they are going to lose customers to Dish because they are offering more HD programming.

They probably weren't owned by News Corp when you bought. Since Murdock bought Directv many things have changed including going to lease only March 1st. With the leased only the option of returning equipment to avoid cancellation fees goes away. They own it so you will have to return it and pay the cancellation fee.:(

#14 OFFLINE   Stevies3

Stevies3

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:30 PM

You are correct about having to agree to a commitment to get the discount price. however, when I've looked for phones, I was told or shown the price with commitment and the price without commitment. When you by a receiver that works with D*, there is only one price.

You are correct on this one

If you were to cancel, you wouldn't return the phone to sprint or verizon, its yours...you bought it. The receiver he bought is his, it does not belong to D*. He should not have to return it to D*.

If you cancel your phone service; Regardless if you keep the phone they will charge you an early terminationtion fee.

#15 OFFLINE   mya23rd

mya23rd

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:19 PM

I have to disagree with some of the posts on here. Even though DTV has the right to make this 2 year commitment a requirement of upgrades, they must be much more upfront about it. Many customers are not even told about this requirement and only find out afterwards and then its too late. It's really under-handed because as they have done with this person, they try to lock people into a contract and then when they want to cancel they try to charge them the termination fee. Its sneaky and under-handed and I think they should just be more upfront.

#16 OFFLINE   benn5325

benn5325

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 01:08 PM

Hm. that does suck. I got a R15 in Nov, haven't sent in for the $100 mail in rebate yet. We're moving in June/july and I was thinking of dumping DTV. Does this mean I'm now locked in until Nov 07?
I didn't send the rebate in because I knew we were moving and that would definatley have tied me in to a commitment.

#17 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,895 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 19 January 2006 - 02:55 PM

Just buying and activating it got you the commitment. Might as well file for the rebate.

You can return the R15 and cancel service sooner under their current terms and conditions. Not sure what will happen after March 1st.

Carl

#18 OFFLINE   rossnr

rossnr

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:13 PM

That's my concern to. I just ordered directv. I hope that after March 1 if I decide to cancel that I can. Is there someone I could call to find that out? I don't want to be stuck with this for two years. I really need to know. I saw something about that directv has the right to change the contract. Here is what it says.

CHANGES IN CONTRACT TERMS

We reserve the right to change the terms and conditions on which we offer Service. If we make any such changes, we will send you a copy of your new Customer Agreement containing its effective date. You always have the right to cancel your Service, in whole or in part at any time, and you may do so if you do not accept any such changed terms or conditions. If you do cancel, you may be charged a deactivation fee and issued a credit in accordance with Section 5. If you elect not to cancel your Service after receiving a new Customer Agreement, your continued receipt of Service from us will constitute acceptance of the changed terms and conditions. If you notify us that you do not accept such terms and conditions, then we may cancel your Service as provided in Section 5, as we cannot offer Service to different customers on different terms.

#19 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 19 January 2006 - 11:31 PM

How many times do most of you really need to change tv service providers in a 2 year period? Is it really that hard to stick with one company, or do the lures of cheap promo periods keep sucking you in? Pick a service and stick with it for awhile...

#20 OFFLINE   benn5325

benn5325

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:16 AM

How many times do most of you really need to change tv service providers in a 2 year period? Is it really that hard to stick with one company, or do the lures of cheap promo periods keep sucking you in? Pick a service and stick with it for awhile...

That's a fair comment, but I'm moving. I want to try something different. To find out now that I may be stuck for 2 years sucks. Do Comcast, Time Warner, etc, make you stay for 2 years?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...