Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV Commitment Policy

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 January 2006 - 04:47 PM

Do Comcast, Time Warner, etc, make you stay for 2 years?

Who cares its friggin cable...

:D

I've been with D* for over 8 years....through 4 moves...I go to other peoples places all the time and see what cable is like, I always smile when I get back home....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 05:12 PM

Well, the 2 year commitment is becoming more of an issue with the latest price increase rumor from DTV. Haven't seen it here yet, but check out: http://www.tivocommu...ad.php?t=282918

EDIT: Oh, and this is what, 2-3 weeks after DTVs news release of not raising prices for 2006?????

#23 OFFLINE   westwood wizard

westwood wizard

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 06:19 PM

I've been a DirecTV customer for over 8 years. We recently upgraded one of our receivers to HD. The other day I received a postcard from them stating that because we upgraded our equipment we are now committed to an additional 24 months of service. We have added additonal receivers including an HD receiver in the past and there was no change in the contract. I called them and talked to a Customer Retention rep and was told this is their new policy and the rep who handled my activation should have told me that. When I told them I wasn't informed of their new policy he essentially told me "too bad" and asked if I wanted to cancel my service! If I cancel now I'm liable for $300 and have to return the equipment that I bought at a local retailer. I am now a prisoner for another 2 years.

If you feel strongly enough, file a small claims against them. Believe me, they will give in as they will not want to waste thousands of dollars in attorney fees.

#24 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 08:30 PM

There's no grounds for a small claims court case. In what way did DTV harm psyclguy or do him wrong. All they will do is place a non-payment item on his credit report. Nothing small claims court can address.

#25 OFFLINE   Kheldar

Kheldar

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 12:37 AM

Well, the 2 year commitment is becoming more of an issue with the latest price increase rumor from DTV. Haven't seen it here yet, but check out: http://www.tivocommu...ad.php?t=282918

EDIT: Oh, and this is what, 2-3 weeks after DTVs news release of not raising prices for 2006?????

Not to split hairs, but D* did not say that they won't be raising prices in 2006.
Read the original quote again:

After raising prices an average of 4 percent across the board in March, DirecTV does not expect any increases in the new year, said spokesman Robert Mercer. The company's average revenue per customer is $68.65, he said.

There are two probably purposely-inserted vague phrases in that statement:
does not expect: unexpected things do happen
in the new year: just how far into the year is the year still 'the new year'?

#26 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 12:38 PM

Well I'm sure they were expecting to raise prices in the new year as this type of thing doesn't happen overnight. If the price increase came in Sept or Oct that would be one thing, but March compared with the PR they issued in January. They were expecting it.

Ah well, it's about time to drop from TCP to TC+ or just TC.

It's moves like this that will have an impact on their average revenue per customer.

#27 OFFLINE   sat101

sat101

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:44 AM

Starting March 1st TC will be $44.99 and TCP willl be $ 49.99 for new sub's , existing customers will be $44.99 for TC and $48.99 for TCP

#28 OFFLINE   Kheldar

Kheldar

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:56 AM

It's moves like this that will have an impact on their average revenue per customer.

You're right, but not in the way that you think.
Very few people actually cancel due to price adjustments, so the average revenue per subscriber goes up.

#29 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:51 PM

You're right, but not in the way that you think.
Very few people actually cancel due to price adjustments, so the average revenue per subscriber goes up.

I must be missing the math...known to happen before. I agree very few will outright cancel. But myself, for example, will probably cut back to TC+ from TCP. So roughly the same # of customer but many of them optiing for a cheaper package would result in a lower avg rev, right.

Or are you referring to the masses that will do nothing at all so avg rev will go up due to the price going up?

#30 OFFLINE   Kheldar

Kheldar

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 12:19 AM

I must be missing the math...known to happen before. I agree very few will outright cancel. But myself, for example, will probably cut back to TC+ from TCP. So roughly the same # of customer but many of them optiing for a cheaper package would result in a lower avg rev, right.

Or are you referring to the masses that will do nothing at all so avg rev will go up due to the price going up?

A few people (like yourself) will opt for the lower packages.
Most people will accept the new pricing.

Since a much higher percentage of people will accept the new pricing, the decreased revenue from the few people that change packages will be more than offset by the increased revenue from everyone else.

Because of this, the ARPU (industry term average revenue per unit, a.k.a. average monthly revenue per subscriber) will increase.

#31 OFFLINE   foxfan

foxfan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 09:10 PM

If I want to cancel and avoid the termination fee (6 months remaining in my commitment), do they just ask you to return the receiver you last activated (which caused the commitment) or all your other receivers (even though that you've owned for more than a year)? The clause just said "...return your system".

I don't mind sending them the little D10 that caused my new commitment but there is no way that I'm sending them my HTL-HD and my H10 whose commitments have been fulfilled months ago!

Also, has anyone managed to make DirecTv accept an excuse for early termination and avoid the fee (such as moving to Canada, or being sent to Iraq)???

Protected By... spam firewall...And...