Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

942 Dual Tuner - Pause both tuners?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sbuko

sbuko

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:24 AM

I guess this would be classified as a feature request unless it is already possible. So far, it doesn't seem to work the way I would like.

I currently have a 942 DVR running in "single" mode. I like to jump back and forth between tuners and at times it would be really nice to pause one tuner, swap back to the other tuner for a while, and then swap back to the original tuner. What I would expect is that the orignal "paused" show would still be paused.

This isn't the case. If I pause the video on a tuner, swap to the other tuner, and then swap back to the original, the show is "live".

Am I doing something wrong or is this just simply not supported?
Does anyone else feel that this is a useful feature?

In the past I had D* and my old dual tuner DVR would remain paused when I swapped tuners. It was really a nice feature.

Here's an example of when I would use this. Last night I setup a movie to record. I let it record for about 20 minutes before I started watching it so I could FF through the commercials. So I watched another show on the other tuner for a while. After 20 minutes or so I started watching the recorded show. Eventually after FF through the commercials I got back to "live" TV on the recording. So I paused the playback and swapped back to the other tuner to watch ESPN for a while. After a little time, I jumped back to the tuner doing the recording and it was in "Live TV" mode. I had to REW back to the spot where I had originally paused it. I would like to have had that show still paused.

Performing a REW for a movie, isn't that big of a deal. For anyone who records sporting events and/or watches them delayed knows how upsetting it is to see a recording in "Live TV" mode and find out the final score, when you had paused it at halftiime.. :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:30 PM

I might be wrong, and I'm not at home to try this, but I think what you want to do will work IF you use PIP. As long as you keep the paused program in a PIP window it will remain paused. If you close the PIP window and are recording that content you'll have to rewind to if, if you are not recording it, I think you lose the buffer. Again I can't test this right now but I think I've tried this before and found this to be the only way.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#3 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:52 PM

I also think the only way that would work is via the pip and it would probably have to remain active to work.

#4 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 02:01 PM

Just tried it. As long as you use PIP and keep the PIP open you can pause and swap.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#5 OFFLINE   sbuko

sbuko

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 02:09 PM

Great.
I'll try it out when I get home.

Thanks.

#6 OFFLINE   Stutz342

Stutz342

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 02:16 PM

Just tried it. As long as you use PIP and keep the PIP open you can pause and swap.

I do that from time to time, but it would be really nice to have the pause stick even if I close the window.

Actually, this is similar to another situation: If you pick a still-recording show from the DVR list, and select "Start Over," and you then pause it and go to something else, the pause point is lost, and the only options are to watch at the live point, or start over again.

#7 OFFLINE   Rogueone

Rogueone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 03:16 PM

I think you can do it by setting both to record as well, but haven't tested it exactly like that
Regards,

RogueOne
Dish VIP622, 4/4/06; ex 921 owner, 2/04 to 3/06
Dish 501 (soon to upgrade to 722) :D
HD OTA (Washington DC): WRC-DT 1&2, WTTG-DT, WJLA-DT 1&2, WUSA-DT 1&2, WETA-DT 1-4, WBDC-DT 1&2, MHz 1-4, ION 1-7, WDCA-DT, and others i don't care about

#8 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:23 PM

I do that from time to time, but it would be really nice to have the pause stick even if I close the window.

Actually, this is similar to another situation: If you pick a still-recording show from the DVR list, and select "Start Over," and you then pause it and go to something else, the pause point is lost, and the only options are to watch at the live point, or start over again.

On my 721 I can shrink the window down to a little icon and keep the buffer/pause, if I remember right, however that is the only receiver I've had that would shrink to an icon, neither my 921 or my 942 did that.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#9 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 05:49 PM

Yeah, I also wish this worked with the PIP window closed.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...