Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Receiver doesn't pass analog OTA signals???

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SouthernSky

SouthernSky

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 03:54 PM

DirecTV H-10 with an all-digital plasma large screen. Three SD regular TV's in the house, hooked up to the same dish outside with a Terk 44 dish antenna and diplexed at the back of each of the four receivers are able to pick up all the analog stations.

Yet on the digital TV, only digital stations come through. How can I get analog channels (like analog channel 5, not digital channel 5-1) to come through? Since not all local stations broadcast in digital here (and we don't get locals through satellite yet), how can I get the regular channels on the digital TV?

I'm getting desperate. Thanks in advance!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:00 PM

YOu need an NTSC tuner....like a VCR, or standalone analog tuner....

The HD recievers only have ATSC tuners IIRC...and apparently your tv has nothing, or ATSC only?

#3 OFFLINE   SouthernSky

SouthernSky

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 09:38 AM

YOu need an NTSC tuner....like a VCR, or standalone analog tuner....

The HD recievers only have ATSC tuners IIRC...and apparently your tv has nothing, or ATSC only?

There is nothing in the TV manual about ATSC/NTSC so I don't know. Would a brand new high-end TV not have NTSC capability integrated within?

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,897 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 22 January 2006 - 10:02 AM

There is nothing in the TV manual about ATSC/NTSC so I don't know. Would a brand new high-end TV not have NTSC capability integrated within?

Very possible. Some high end tv's are really nothing more than a very expensive monitor with extra cost options for tuners or inputs. You might have a tuner, or you might have to buy one, or you may not even be able to add one. Depends on the tv. I would ask the dealer where you purchased it.

Carl

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 22 January 2006 - 10:44 AM

Was your tv an HD monitor, meaning no tuners, or does it have an actual RF coaxial input like a regular tv? The marketing terms can be confusing or sometimes even misleading, like HD-Ready, HD Monitor, etc...digital cable ready...

#6 OFFLINE   SouthernSky

SouthernSky

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:52 PM

Was your tv an HD monitor, meaning no tuners, or does it have an actual RF coaxial input like a regular tv? The marketing terms can be confusing or sometimes even misleading, like HD-Ready, HD Monitor, etc...digital cable ready...

Well, there was no coax input but most of the HD sets I've seen don't use them, instead going for component video or HDMI.

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:12 PM

If there is no coaxial input on the tv, how would the signal get to any tuner built-in to the set? Component or HDMI connections are strictly video inputs, meaning the tuner is in the external device. You must be primarily looking at HD capable sets, not sets with tuners built-in....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...