Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Just the facts, please just the facts...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mackaz

mackaz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:41 PM

Hello all..

Need some very basic info.

I currently have standard DTV Tivo using dual tuners. I am contemplating upgrading to HD. I live more than 200 miles from a major city. The only OTA stations we receive are via an antenna. They are carried via translator from Phoenix, AZ. I am told by local TV guy that we do NOT receive any network HD OTA stations. I do receive from DTV all networks from Phoenix and Los Angeles which I subscribe to.

1) What additional, if any, cable will I need for HD?
2) Hardware?
3) Would I be provided with all networks in HD via DTV?
4) What's the latest and greatest price that D* is offering?
5) Would it be prudent to wait a while? Do really want to lease equip.

Your assistance is very much appreciated!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   KevetS

KevetS

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 07:12 PM

Go to antennaweb.org and verify what you *should* be able to receive OTA. You might get more than you think.

1- If you're replacing an existing receiver you should be set

2- You'll need at least a 3LNB dish which you probably have. Depending on your market DirecTV may let you have the 5LNB upgrade. You'll have to ask them about that.

3- Networks being NBC, CBS? Again, depends on your market. If they aren't available right now they'll be available within a year or so.

4- Free H20 and 5LNB dish installed is pretty common right now.

5- If you can get the 5LNB dish free go for it. They'll likely charge for it in the future. But you can wait if you wish; DirecTV doesn't have a whole lot of HD programming right now.

#3 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 02:39 PM

I'd try to find someone in your area
http://www.avsforum....isplay.php?f=45

and see if they got HD waivers from directv. If you are really that far away from anything, i'd think you are a perfect candidate for them.

you can also enter your address here to see if directv may already have the decision you are looking for

http://directvdnseli...ddressForm.aspx

spam firewall