Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Unveils Family Tier Today

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
44 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 07:32 AM

http://www.skyreport.com/

DISH Unveils Family Tier Today, DirecTV Offers Family Pack DirecTV and EchoStar have joined the family programming bandwagon.

Today, EchoStar CEO Charles Ergen is expected to unveil DISH Network's family-friendly programming tier during testimony before the Senate Commerce Committee. The committee is scrutinizing TV decency issues, and Ergen is among those testifying before the panel.

Also, Ergen may submit a legislative proposal aimed at giving consumers more choice in programming, though specifics were not available.

On Wednesday, DirecTV said it would offer a family-friendly programming package in mid-April, aligning itself with several cable companies that have recently began selling the option to consumers. The Total Choice Family pack has more than 40 channels of content suitable for family viewers, including nets like Boomerang, Disney, PBS Kids Sprout, National Geographic and Noggin.

The service also has 12 public interest channels, including NASA, C-SPAN, National Religious Broadcast Network, Link TV and World Harvest TV.

The Total Choice Family programming package will sell for $34.99 a month and will include local broadcast channels, DirecTV said.

A possible CSPAN PVR event.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 08:43 AM

The C-Span site says its coverage of that Senate Committee Hearing ("Decency in Communications" :sure: ) starts at 10am EST on just plain C-Span and will last about two hours. Better program those DVRs right away!
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#3 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:39 AM

DISH Network Introduces `DishFAMILY' Programming Tier; DISH Network Becomes Provider of Choice with Lowest Priced, Most Robust Family Tier

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 19, 2006--EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) today announced that its DISH Network™ satellite TV service will offer "DishFAMILY," a new "family-friendly" programming package with approximately 40 channels. With the launch of a new tier of programming options, DISH Network gives consumers the most choice among pay TV providers when it comes to designing a TV package that meets the needs of their family and budget.

Available Feb. 1, "DishFAMILY" will offer channel choices for everyone in the family such as sports, news, children's programming, lifestyle, hobbies, shopping and public interest. With DishFAMILY, customers will get valuable, family-sensitive content at the low price of $19.99 per month ($24.99 per month with local channels). This is an approximate $12 savings over the average cable company family tier. This low-priced package further establishes DISH Network as the lowest all-digital TV provider in the nation.

Other pay-TV providers have introduced "family" packages but with fewer channels and with a requirement that customers must purchase the "family" package along with a basic cable package that could be full of "inappropriate" family material. DISH Network offers DishFAMILY as a stand-alone package and with the most robust "family" package lineup. In addition, DishFAMILY is available with a free satellite TV receiver and free professional installation for up to four rooms.

"With the introduction of DishFAMILY, DISH Network becomes the pay-TV provider of choice among parents who want the most parental control and the largest package of family-specific TV channels, all at the lowest cost," said Eric Sahl, senior vice president of Programming for DISH Network. "DishFAMILY is a package our customers have requested, and we are pleased that congressional hearings and the FCC have played a key role in encouraging programmers to agree to give DISH Network the rights to offer a family pack."

"DISH Family" channel lineup will include the following:

Animal Planet EWTN Outdoor Channel
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Biography Channel Food Network RFDTV
Bloomberg TV Fox News Channel Shop at Home
Boomerang Great American Country ShopNBC
BYUTV CNN Headline News The Science Channel
C-SPAN HSN The Weather Channel
C-SPAN-2 NASA TBN
CSTV Nickelodean East TV Land
Discovery Kids Nickelodean West QVC
Discovery Times Nick Games & Sports (More to be announced
soon.)
Do It Yourself Network NickToons
DISH Network, an advocate of family values, has been a pioneer in advanced parental controls technology available to customers at no additional cost. DISH Network's extensive parental controls include password protection, lock-by-ratings and extended ratings, system and channel locks, and DISH Network's own Adult Guard and Hide Adult Programming features, which when activated remove adult content and channel descriptions from that specific customer's program guide. Also, for customers who subscribe to DishFAMILY, adult channels and their content descriptions will be unavailable in the program guide.

Customers can contact DISH Network at 1-800-333-DISH (3474), or their local retailer for more information on how to subscribe to DISH Network. To learn more about DISH Network's programming offers, visit www.dishnetwork.com.

About EchoStar

EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) serves more than 12 million satellite TV customers through its DISH Network™, the fastest growing U.S. provider of advanced digital television services in the last five years. DISH Network offers hundreds of video and audio channels, Interactive TV, HDTV, sports and international programming, together with professional installation and 24-hour customer service. Visit EchoStar's DISH Network at www.dishnetwork.com or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474).

Marc Lumpkin, 303-514-5351
press@echostar.com

SOURCE: EchoStar Communications Corporation

As I post this Charlie Ergen was testifying before the Senate Committee.

#4 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:53 AM

That was weird. I just watched Charlie haltingly read his statement that he couldn't tell the committee yet what was in the family package, then I get that press release email 10 minutes later.

1) Charlie (excuse me, "Charles Ergen") read his statement as though he'd never seen it before. I know the importance of using precise language when talking to Congress, but I would have thought he'd rehearse it a time or two.

2) Some but not all PI channels are included in this family package. Does Dish have any defensible justification to include BYU and RFD while keeping out Free Speech TV? I thought all PIs have to be available to all subs? Maybe FSTV will be quietly slid under the doormat as an "announced soon" channel?

#5 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:58 AM

"(More to be announced soon.)" :)

Not 40 in that list yet.

#6 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:14 AM

That was weird. I just watched Charlie haltingly read his statement that he couldn't tell the committee yet what was in the family package, then I get that press release email 10 minutes later.

1) Charlie (excuse me, "Charles Ergen") read his statement as though he'd never seen it before. I know the importance of using precise language when talking to Congress, but I would have thought he'd rehearse it a time or two.

2) Some but not all PI channels are included in this family package. Does Dish have any defensible justification to include BYU and RFD while keeping out Free Speech TV? I thought all PIs have to be available to all subs? Maybe FSTV will be quietly slid under the doormat as an "announced soon" channel?

It is my understanding that the number of PI channels is dictated by the total number of channels offered. So a package with fewer commercial channels could have fewer PI channels. As it stands not all PI channels are on 119 so not all subs receive them.

Since there is no obligation to carry one PI channel over another or at any particular tier I believe that the carrier has discretion in this. I can't imagine that tehre are that many FSTV fans out there but I could be wrong.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#7 OFFLINE   angiecopus

angiecopus

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:22 AM

For those with the top 180 will we continue to see the same channels too?
i was just courious.

#8 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 11:58 AM

It is my understanding that the number of PI channels is dictated by the total number of channels offered. ... I can't imagine that there are that many FSTV fans out there but I could be wrong.

I thought that the number of PI channels was dictated by the number of channels on the satellite, not the number of channels in a package. I might be wrong.

The whole point of my thinking about FSTV is the possible irony of the situation: one hand of government strongly encourages the creation of this "family-friendly" package while another possibly forces the inclusion of a channel that most "family" subscribers would probably avoid.

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,095 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 01:45 PM

I thought that the number of PI channels was dictated by the number of channels on the satellite, not the number of channels in a package. I might be wrong.

Correct. It's capacity not your package size. E* is supposed to include all PIs with the base package. Although E* doesn't include PIs in DL, a basic package. E* may consider DISHFamily another exception.

JL

#10 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 02:12 PM

For those with the top 180 will we continue to see the same channels too?
i was just courious.

The other dish packages won't change. They are just adding this new family oriented package.

#11 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 02:16 PM

The whole point of my thinking about FSTV is the possible irony of the situation: one hand of government strongly encourages the creation of this "family-friendly" package while another possibly forces the inclusion of a channel that most "family" subscribers would probably avoid.

The requirement for 4% of capacity is obviouly driven by the number of channels on the satellite. But both providers have had difficulty with the FCC in terms of what isa PI channel (do religious channels count?) and whether they can be charged a fee for inclusion in the base package.

I don't think that i was clear about that before and I apologize.

My guess is that either the aditional channels to be named soon will include more PI or that Mr. Long is effectively correct when he says that E* thinks they have found a loophole. Atera ll as he points out they are not in DL. Of course the FCC may disagree but that is another matter.

I did a google search and was unabler to find any real resolution to some of the past disputes. So I don't think I have enough info to speculate on the future. Perhaps they have been resolved in such away that invalidates my comments.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#12 OFFLINE   juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 02:27 PM

Why wouldn't E* provide all PI"s? Afterall they are PAYING to be carried

#13 OFFLINE   Fifty Caliber

Fifty Caliber

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 979 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:09 PM

I think it's bad bussiness to include channels from AT-120 and AT-180 in a package that costs LESS than AT-60.
Gun control is racist.

#14 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:18 PM

I think it's bad bussiness to include channels from AT-120 and AT-180 in a package that costs LESS than AT-60.

that part does sound odd to me but........

As for not carrying all the PI channels carload gave you one reason---that they may not fit the demographic you are marketing to. Also I don't know how much they really pay. Both providers have shown some resistance in this area. Ther must be some reason.

#15 OFFLINE   jessshaun

jessshaun

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:22 PM

How is that so, Fifty Caliber?

#16 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,151 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:35 PM

Here come the complaints. Maybe a lot of customers will get this.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#17 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:37 PM

How can you have a familty tier without Disney?

#18 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:42 PM

Before we get too deep into this, I want to say that I have no problems with any new collections of channels for sale. The family package is just another choice. If you can manage without ESPN and the Disneys, it's not too shabby. Meanwhile, the regular ATxxx packages are unaffected, so most of us have just an academic interest in what happens.

I think Turner Classic Movies would be a natural for this package. I hope Dish can add it to give family viewers some full-length programming.

#19 OFFLINE   Fifty Caliber

Fifty Caliber

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 979 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:46 PM

Generally if you pay more, you are supposed to get more in return. If they drop channels from AT-120 and AT-180 into the AF-40 package, they should also put them in the AT-60 package as a matter of fairness.
Gun control is racist.

#20 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:53 PM

Generally if you pay more, you are supposed to get more in return. If they drop channels from AT-120 and AT-180 into the AF-40 package, they should also put them in the AT-60 package as a matter of fairness.

The channels in AT120 and AT180 are not there because they cost more. They mostly are there because they make more channels.

What channels would you suggest they drop from AT60 to make room for these channels?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...