Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cd Usa

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Igor

Igor

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:46 PM

Did any one of you watched CD USA? It is a live music show that DIRECTV aired in channel 101.

I have a HD and SD receivers, the show is in Channel 101 and I can watch with my HD and SD receiver. But the funny thing is that the show seems to be in HD when I am viewing it via my HD receiver and in SD in the SD receiver! :eek2:

(Yes i had a beer before :D , but I am quite sure that it was HD)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 09:00 PM

I noticed that also. I am sure I will never be a big fan of the show but I expected to see separate HD and SD channels. How do they do that and is that something we will see more of in the future?

#3 OFFLINE   Kheldar

Kheldar

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 03:49 AM

Did any one of you watched CD USA? It is a live music show that DIRECTV aired in channel 101.

I have a HD and SD receivers, the show is in Channel 101 and I can watch with my HD and SD receiver. But the funny thing is that the show seems to be in HD when I am viewing it via my HD receiver and in SD in the SD receiver! :eek2:

(Yes i had a beer before :D , but I am quite sure that it was HD)

That is exactly what happened. The HD and SD feeds both shared channel 101.
I do wonder why they don't so this trick for the ESPN and ESPN2 channels in SD and HD.

#4 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 06:14 AM

I recorded it to watch later today. I did catch a few minutes and it was nice seeing Buckcherry back together again.

#5 OFFLINE   Brent04

Brent04

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 05:19 PM

I do wonder why they don't so this trick for the ESPN and ESPN2 channels in SD and HD.

Probably because not all the programs on ESPN and ESPN2 are in HD. Some people may prefer to watch the SD programs in full screen and not like it is on the HD versions of the channels with the ESPN HD bars on the side of the screen. If DirecTV mapped the ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD channels on a HD receiver to the same channel numbers as the SD channel numbers the it would not give the viewer a choice of watching the SD programs in full screen.

#6 OFFLINE   Kheldar

Kheldar

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 05:21 PM

Probably because not all the programs on ESPN and ESPN2 are in HD. Some people my prefer to watch the SD programs in full screen and not like it is on the HD versions of the channels with the ESPN HD bars on the side of the screen. If DirecTV mapped the ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD channels on a HD receiver to the same channel numbers and the SD version the it would not give the viewer a choice of watching the SD programs in full screen.

Valid point. But since CD USA is broadcast in widescreen (wasn't it?) in both SD and HD, there wasn't really a point to having it on 2 channels.

#7 OFFLINE   Brent04

Brent04

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 05:49 PM

Valid point. But since CD USA is broadcast in widescreen (wasn't it?) in both SD and HD, there wasn't really a point to having it on 2 channels.

Yeah, but with 4:3 SD you have the bars on the side of the screen and when I'm watching a SD program on ESPN HD (which ESPN has HD written in gray on the black bars instead of just the black bars) my HDTV will not allow me to change the screen format to get rid of the bars on the side but when I watch a SD program on the ESPN SD channel my HDTV will allow me to change the screen format to get rid of the side bars. With CD USA were the SD version is in widescreen anyway and not in 4:3 and an HDTV is widescreen then it would make sense to map the SD and HD to the same channel number.

#8 OFFLINE   vfxguy

vfxguy

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 11:20 PM

CD USA. I can honestly say that this is the worst drivel I have ever seen come out of my DirecTV. I thought I was being a bit harsh then I showed it to my 11 and 9 year olds and they were stunned at how stupid these presenters were.

I wouldn't mind so much because you can always choose to not watch a channel, but it seems that DirecTV Freeview channel has disappeared to make room for this crap. That is what is truly going to hurt. I am a big fan of live concerts, but not single live performances as part of a sales channel for the latest top 20 hit. And if I have to look at the faces of these teen dweeb hosts for one more minute I am going to lose my lunch.

On a positive note. The HD picture looks great and it is very cool how the SD and HD channels share the same channel number. Although I don't know that I want to see that idea across all channels. I have DirecTV Tivo for High Def and there are times that I want to record a show in SD in order to save space on my hard drive. (I don't need to see the local news in HD)

Barry

#9 OFFLINE   wipeout

wipeout

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:40 AM

I liked Freeview on 124 better.

#10 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:13 AM

I thought it would be pretty cool to have an HD show dedicated to music so I checked it out the HD version. Good PQ overall I thought, but I had NO clue it was going to be a "Disney Channel" MTV format. I felt like you had to be between 9-13 to actually enjoy the show. Waste of time for me.

What has to happen for those of us who actually remember musicianship and writing to see good music these days?

#11 OFFLINE   UKintheUS

UKintheUS

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:23 AM

I felt like you had to be between 9-13 to actually enjoy the show. Waste of time for me.

What has to happen for those of us who actually remember musicianship and writing to see good music these days?

cd:uk http://www.cduk.co.uk/home.php , which the show is a copy of, is shown on Saturday mornings in the UK on the ITV1 channel. This is during the childrens slot which is aimed at 5-16 year olds, but it has had a huge ratings decline, as in the UK you have now over 20+ Music Video Channels to choose from.

#12 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:37 PM

I thought it would be pretty cool to have an HD show dedicated to music so I checked it out the HD version. Good PQ overall I thought, but I had NO clue it was going to be a "Disney Channel" MTV format. I felt like you had to be between 9-13 to actually enjoy the show. Waste of time for me.

You need to be in the group spending the big dollars on music related purchases...and we arent in that group anymore

;)

#13 OFFLINE   UKintheUS

UKintheUS

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 12:37 PM

Thought this was running all week?

spam firewall